OS 9.0.4 - installers don't work + No sound from restore CD

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

hatrickpatrick
Space Cadet

OS 9.0.4 - installers don't work + No sound from restore CD

Post by hatrickpatrick »

I've got sheepshaver running on my intel MacBook pro. I also have the install + restore CDs for OS 9.0.4. Sheepshaver boots fine from the CDs, but for some bizarre reason, the OS won't install. The installer will start loading, then I get this message: "This program cannot be run on your computer. See the documentation for more information."

I found a tip on UneasySilence telling me to use the image which is on the restore CD, so I did, and the OS installed perfectly. It will load fine and everything works.

However, I have no sound. When I try to use the "Sound" control panel, I get this message: "The application "Sound" could not be opened because "SndHWUtilitiesLib--AudioNotify" could not be found."

After reading around here, it seems that a lot of people who used the restore CD to install the OS have the same problem.

Does anyone know how I can get the installer to work, or fix the sound problem on the restore cd install?
EVWeb
Student Driver

Post by EVWeb »

This happens when using a restore CD, it doesn't have all the sound drivers a normal Universal install disc has, so it can't have sound. I know, because I tried the restore disc installation once too, hell I posted how to do it on these forums before I realized that I wouldn't get sound.
hatrickpatrick
Space Cadet

Post by hatrickpatrick »

Ah, nuts... Well is there any way to get the install CD to stop giving me the "cannot be run on this machine" message or will I have to go and buy a universal one?
EVWeb
Student Driver

Post by EVWeb »

Unfortunately the install disc has the same software as the restore disc... so you need a universal one. You can find a universal one for like $30 on some sites.
hatrickpatrick
Space Cadet

Post by hatrickpatrick »

Really? I don't think I've ever seen them except on Ebay, and I just checked, no one on eBay is selling one...

Any idea where I could look?
EVWeb
Student Driver

Post by EVWeb »