OS 9.0.4 can't find disk image to install to

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Bazbo
Space Cadet

OS 9.0.4 can't find disk image to install to

Post by Bazbo »

Hi,

I wish this forum had a search function...you may have answered this before.

I got OS 9.0.4 to boot, and the installer can launch (yay!). But, when I try to install, there is no destination disk. The installer says "A valid destination volume can't be found. To continue installation, mount a valid volume..." How do I mount the disk image I created for the installation?

I created it from the command line in OS X, following instructions from a site I can no longer find. Here is the output of that:
dd if=/dev/zero of=classicmac bs=1048576 count=1024
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes transferred in 32.530037 secs (33007704 bytes/sec)

I do not know the file path to that. How do I find the path, and point the OS 9 installer to it? Do I add it to the 'Volumes' section?

Thanks,

Paul in Seattle
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Just use the SheepShaverGUI to create a volume. Start in the Volumes tab by clicking the "Create..." button. The created disk image file will be added to the volumes list. (The volume that is intended to be the future boot volume should preferably be at the top of the volumes list.) Keep the setting "Boot From" to "Any'.

While booting from the System CD, the MacOS will find the newly created volume and will ask whether the volume should be initialized. Choose an appropriate name for the volume and choose as format "Mac OS Extended".

Instead of SheepShaverGUI, you can also use SheepShaverPrefs, that has the same functionality but a more Mac-like interface:
http://fizzysoft.net/get.php?f=SheepShaverPrefs.zip

BTW: These forums do have a search function, see at the top of the page.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not know where the file you created (if indeed a file was created) ended up, should be in the directory where the commands were given because you gave a name without path to the output file.
Bazbo
Space Cadet

Post by Bazbo »

Thank you. I don't know why I missed the search button when I looked for it at that very location several times.

I have OS 9.0.4 installed and running. I have the sound working, and Band-in-a-Box (hereafter called BIAB) running. Unfortunately the sound is very choppy, such that the program is not useable. I have increased the memory allocation to ludicrous amounts and given it various sizes of RAM disk, but nothing seems to affect it. I also couldn't get Roland Sound Canvas to work with BIAB, but then I never got it working right in the original iMac, either.

It was pretty cool to use a pre-OSX Mac again, though. I got used to Linux before I ended up buying my MacBook, so I had all but forgotten that classic Mac feel. Good to be back. Maybe I'll try it on my Linux box.

Thanks again,

Paul