Trouble installing Application

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

white93taurusgl
Space Cadet

Trouble installing Application

Post by white93taurusgl »

Has anybody had this problem. I installed Sheepshaver and GTk+. When I run sheepshaver. All the txt is a bunch of empty boxes and squares. Anyway to fix this? Running this on XP
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

that's strange... maybe you could post a screenshot/screen capture of it?
white93taurusgl
Space Cadet

Post by white93taurusgl »

Edited to make image appear - sc
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Maybe SheepShaver is trying to display a font which you don't have installed on your system?
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

no, that's not the "sheepshaver" emulator itself. Rather, it's a picture of the "sheepshaverGUI.exe".

My guess is that it is either one of two cases:

1) You probably have a version of the GUI that was compiled for another language other than English.

Where did you download the SheepShaver package? You might want to go back and make sure that you got the one from the author's site... and not another version from somewhere else.
http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/sheepshaver/

And/Or...

2) You're missing an essential system font.

If this is the case, you might want to consider repairing your Windows XP installation using your Windows XP install CD. Or if you finally decided you've had enough and want to start from a clean slate, you might want to do a complete re-install of the entire Windows XP OS altogether, and include all the software updates you've accumulated over the years since you purchased your computer.

OR, if your computer has enough muscle to handle Vista, then you could just save yourself some headaches and get Vista Home Premium and then run SheepShaver on top of that; I have this particular set-up and it works really well.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I would suggest installing a different version of gtk. It seems some versions have font problems.
Get a new one here: http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/modules/wfdownloads/
under "gtk+-win32-runtime"

What font are you using in XP? If it is not the default Tahoma, I would suggest changing the windows system font to that.

Best wishes,
Cat_7