SheepShaver PPCMac build 04 Aug 2007 including PrefsEditor

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Cat_7
Expert User

SheepShaver PPCMac build 04 Aug 2007 including PrefsEditor

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello,

Our moderator Ronald P. Regensburg succeeded in building a PPC version of SheepShaver from the 04_aug_2007 source.

You can get it here:

http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepS ... 07_PPC.zip

Best wishes,
Cat_7
billearl
Space Cadet

Re: SheepShaver PPCMac build 04 Aug 2007 including PrefsEdit

Post by billearl »

Cat_7 wrote:Our moderator Ronald P. Regensburg succeeded in building a PPC version of SheepShaver from the 04_aug_2007 source.
Thanks very much, Ronald. I installed it on my iBook G4 and it works great. The only minor problem is a consistent "SheepShaver unexpectedly quit" dialog during the OS 9 boot. It continues to boot and run properly even after choosing the Close button to dismiss the dialog, hence it appears to be extraneous. Anyone else reporting this?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I believe this is the most common error PPC builds exhibit. I believe it has something to do with creating the SheepShaver menu, but then again, what do I know :lol:

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Interestingly, this crash dialog ("unexpectedly quit") does not appear anymore on my PowerBook G4 with this latest build. It does appear consistently on my PB G4 with the May 2006 snapshot and Cat_7 told me that it still appears with this latest build on his G3.

Another problem that existed on my PB G4 with the May 2006 snapshot were problems with moving folders with custom icon from MacOSX to MacOS via the shared folder ('Unix' volume), and problems with moving applications via the shared folder. These problems appear to have been solved in this build on my PB G4.

There were reports of these problem still existing in the March 2007 Intel build (although similar problems on Intel with document files were solved). I wonder if the problems with moving applications and folders with custom icons have been solved now also for Intel.
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

Does the PPC version of SheepShaver now support networking? (Run TCP based MacOS 8.6 apps, etc)?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

AHunter3 wrote:Does the PPC version of SheepShaver now support networking? (Run TCP based MacOS 8.6 apps, etc)?
"now" :?:
The PPC version of SheepShaver does support networking, as did the May 2006 snapshot and and the recent UB version.
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

Sorry for the late follow-thru (the board was down and then I got distracted)... can someone treat me like the Compleat Idiot that I apparently am and walk me through the process of configuring SheepShaver so that my internet apps can function properly?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Do I understand correctly that you have this build of SheepShaver configured and running but no internet connection yet?

- In Preferences, Miscellaneous tab, enter for Ethernet Interface: "slirp" (without the quotation marks).
- Quit SheepShaver
- Start SheepShaver again and set the MacOS control panel TCP/IP to Ethernet and DHCP Server.

If you use SheepShaver with separate Prefs or GUI application, then you can of course set Ethernet Interface to slirp without SheepShaver itself running.

In GUI the setting is in Serial/Network tab.

And, obviously, your host machine must have an active connection to the internet for this to work.
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

Not working:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ah3files/Stuff/slirp.jpg

Do I need to do something on the host OS (MacOS X 10.4.10) side in order to have it allocate a DHCP address to the SheepShaver environment? (Aside from being online?)
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

::bump::
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Nothing more is needed on the host than being online. And your settings are OK. It should work now.

Have you actually tried making a connection using for instance a web browser? If OpenTransport (including TCP/IP) in MacOS is set to be active only when needed, no IP address is asked for until an application asks for a connection. It is the default behaviour. (This default setting is to prevent unnecessary use of memory space because OpenTransport will keep memory occupied once it is activated, also when not used.)

If activating TCP/IP by actually initiating a IP connection does not work, you can set OpenTransport to be active always:
- Choose "Mode..." from TCP/IP Edit menu
- In the dialog select "Advanced" and click "OK"
- In the, now advanced, TCP/IP panel click the "Options..." button
- In the dialog uncheck the "Only load if needed" (or similar expression) box and click "OK".
(If you wish, you can return to the normal user mode for TCP/IP.)

OpenTransport (and thus TCP/IP) will now always load directly at startup.

If even that fails, you can try setting TCP/IP manually:
IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 10.0.2.2
Name Server: 10.0.2.3

Edit:
You apparently already have TCP/IP in advanced mode.
The fact that System Profiler indicates that OpenTransport and TCP/IP are active does not mean that OpenTransport has actually loaded. Just direct any internet application to a internet address and TCP/IP will ask and get the DHCP addresses.
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

No, I'm not getting online.

For example, I open Fetch, specify ftp.hawaii.edu which is a reliable FTP site for anonymous FTP, and it throws Error -3221

If you're uncertain and think I might nevertheless have internet connectivity I will run SheepShaver through a battery of different internet-capable apps and verify that none of them make any kind of remote connection whatsoever. I know from past experience that browsers don't work, ircle doesn't work, FileMaker can't connect to a remote hosted db, etc.

Oh, and I clicked "Options" in the TCP Control Panel and switched from "load only as needed" to "Active", it should ALWAYS have a valid IP address if one is available for the having. But it doesn't have an IP address. (Such was the purpose of the System Profile screenshot)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Then try setting in TCP/IP manually the addresses SheepShaver slirp uses.
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

How the heck do I find out the addresses SheepShaver slirp uses?

In fact, I can't even parse that phrase. Is there some missing step I was supposed to take that I didn't take? "The addresses SheepShaver slirp uses"... is there a thing, somewhere, known as "SheepShaver slirp"? I just typed the character-string "slirp" in SheepShaverPrefs.app, in the Miscellaneous tab, at the bottom where it says "Internet Interface".

Aside from that I know nothing of "SheepShaver slirp", or the addresses it "uses".

Color me way confused.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

A few posts above, Ronald mentioned the manual settings to apply:

IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 10.0.2.2
Name Server: 10.0.2.3

Entering "slirp" (without ") in the preferences editor, as you did, was correct.
So please try to set ethernet manually and report back.

Best wishes,
Cat_7
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

Thanks for that. Don't know how I managed to miss it in the above post.

Unfortunately, no, I'm still getting the same error. I've installed a browser (iCab) , same error (-3221) there as well.

Installed an old network utility, AGNetTools, which initially reports my IP address as 0.0.0.1, then when I hit refresh switches to 32.0.50.172 and sticks with that. (also shows a subnet mask of 320.0.18.104). This is after having entered the manual settings described above, and this behavior persists after a restart. Name lookup (e.g., "www.google.com") fails, I've got no DNS.

The TCP/IP Control Panel's own "Info" button claims my IP is 10.0.2.15 and the router displays as 10.0.2.2, as entered.

SheepShaver ver. 2.3, tried in both PPC copy and UB variant.

Host environment: OSX 10.4.10 on PowerBook G4, PPPoE connection to internet.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

What ethernet settings does your host have? Could it be interfering with the sheepshaver settings?
And what OS version did you install in SheepShaver?

Best,
Cat_7
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

SheepShaver OS: MacOS 8.6

OSX Network PrefsPane:
Show: Built-in Ethernet
Ethernet: Configure automatically
PPPoE: Account Name / Password <saved>; connect using PPPoE <checked>
PPPoE Options: Connect automatically when needed
TCP/IP: Configure IPv4: Using PPP; Router: 10.32.84.1

IP address is different with every logon, is a live unique IP not a 192.168.xx.yy address; service provider is Verizon.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Could the problem be related to the cable connection with PPPoE? Does your cable account accept connection with only one specific computer?

The slirp networking can be seen as a virtual router connected to the network your host computer is on. If your PPPoE cable connection accepts only a connection from your host Mac and not from other devices on a home network, than slirp networking may not work.

Have you tried entering a IP address of a website instead of its URL in iCab Location Toolbar? If that works, than only a viable DNS server address is needed to make it work.

http://17.149.160.10/ should bring you to the apple.com home page.
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

Thanks for an entirely reasonable suggestion. (It's DSL over phone wires rather than cable for whatever that's worth...no diff, right?)

My girlfriend and I have a hub, to which she has her computer attached and I have my Mac attached. We get different IP addresses from PPPoE, no problem.

I've also hooked up an AirPort Express device to get wireless and that has worked also.

I don't think it's any kind of restrictiveness on the part of my ISP although they don't bend over backwards to help folks get multiple computers online from their DSL.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Well, I am sorry, I do not have any more suggestions. SheepShaver slirp networking works fine on both my alu 20" iMac (Intel) and my PowerBook G4, both with OSX 10.4.10, both with either MacOS 9.0.4 or MacOS 8.6, with both iMac and PowerBook on a wireless connection to my Airport Extreme, which is connected with ethernet cable to my ADSL modem-router on a normal analog telephone line. It worked with all SheepShaver versions I tried, the May 2006 snapshot as well as all subsequent builds that are available from this forum.

What seems different from your setup is that my Airport Extreme and other devices with wired connection to the ADSL router-modem get their local IP address from the modem-router. Only the external (internet) IP address of the modem is assigned by my ISP. The modem makes the connection with the provider (and normally is connected permanently 24/7), not my computers. The modem uses PPPoE connection to the provider, not the Airport Extreme and the computers.
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

I will experiment with AirPort Express when I get home. It lets multiple computers connect wirelessly and get IP addresses. See if SheepShaver likes that better.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I did a little more experimenting myself. The slirp networking works for me not only with the host Macs connected to the Airport wireless network, but also with the host Macs connected directly with ethernet cable to the adsl modem and even with the host Macs connected to the internet through a dial-up connection. So, if it works for you with the host Mac connected to the Airport network, the problem probably is the PPPoE connection. If it still does not work on the Airport network, there must be something else that is unusual about your setup.
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

Didn't work with AirPort either.

I had the idea of turning on Internet Sharing (OSX Sharing PrefsPane), that also made no difference.

The MacOS 8.6 environment is a diskimage originally made from a fully functional bootable OS 8.6 volume on my 'WallStreet' PowerBook. It definitely had no networking problems there.

I beleive I have a diskimage of the 8.6 installer CD, I could try a fresh install and see if that works any better.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

AHunter3 wrote:IThe MacOS 8.6 environment is a diskimage originally made from a fully functional bootable OS 8.6 volume on my 'WallStreet' PowerBook. It definitely had no networking problems there.
That could very well be the source of the problem. MacOS installations are not identical on different machines (either hardware or emulated). The installer installs the system files that are needed for that particular machine.
I beleive I have a diskimage of the 8.6 installer CD, I could try a fresh install and see if that works any better.
If the CD was a universal retail system CD, you can use it if you again make a CD out of it. If not on the original media, the installer may not work. Also, if the system CD was a CD that was supplied with a specific Mac model, the installer will only work on that model and thus not on SheepShaver. There are hacks described in this forum for a workaround with a Mac-specific CD.