MS office for SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

oguri
Space Cadet

MS office for SheepShaver

Post by oguri »

Office98 can run on SheepShaver stably but only for Windows.
The conditions are
1) Windows XP (I have not tried Vista yet, I run on VMware fusion).
2) System 9.0. (8.6 is also possible but seems to be less stable).
3) Install Language kit (I chose Japanese language) which comes with OS9.0
4) Disable all OpenTransport. (sorry for internet user).
5) Update office98 with Combined updater for Office98 (download from MS).
When system start up, it give error message about quicktime becaue Opentransport is disabled. But, just ignore it.
It may require a few time to shut down and restart. But it will be stable soon.

This setting still does not work for OS-X SheepShaver, only for windows.
Because I don't have Office 2001, I don't know the condition for this.

For OS-X SheepSaver, Office4.2 can run on it stably.
Conditions are the same above except, System needs to be
8.1 or 8.6 not 9.0. It does not work on Sytem 9.0.
Give me your feedback.
Thanks.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I wonder if OpenTransport needs to be disabled because Office 98 tries to "call home" or at least checks the network IIRC to see if any other installations exist with the same serial number.
oguri
Space Cadet

Call for the serial number

Post by oguri »

I do not know that is the reason. At least, I use the authentic lincensed ones. They still keep such old records?

Usually I turns off OpenTransport any way basically internet connection is much better in host OS and don't feel need it. Secondly system starts up much faster. Sabilities appear to be increased. If the last point is variable, in such case, maynot be required.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Mac Emu wrote:I wonder if OpenTransport needs to be disabled because Office 98 tries to "call home" or at least checks the network IIRC to see if any other installations exist with the same serial number.
You mean like Windows XP does when you install it?

I have used Office 2001 on Macs which I assume have TCP/IP on but no internet connection. Anyway, it always works on real Macs so I can't imagine that old software like Office 98 would check for other installations.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

There was some Mac shareware extension we used at the office back in 1998 that would check the network and only allow one registered version of it to run at a time.

I thought Mac Office 98 & 2001 both were setup like Mac Office X to do the same thing, but I guess not:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000 ... 957,00.htm

"Office v. X, Microsoft's flagship product for Apple Computer's Macintosh, was released in November. With the new version, Microsoft introduced an anti-piracy mechanism that checks for duplicate serial numbers running on a network. The mechanism will not allow two copies of the product with the same serial number to run simultaneously on the same network."
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

In my experience, Office 2001 works on sheepshaver running Chinese system 9.0.0(not 9.0.4) but you can only run ONE of office application per your emulation session or the emulator will simply crash.
I have downgraded all OpenTransport files to Chinese system 8.6's.