Login  •  Register

The time is now: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:08 am

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:29 pm 
Space Cadet

Hello, I am running the latest version of sheepshaver (2.3-pre) and have installed Mac OS 9 from within SheepShaver. The install disc was able to emit sound and when for example the dialog comes up to scan the disk after a improper shutdown sound is also emitted. Yet when I normally boot into Mac OS 9 in sheepshaver there is no sound and when in the sound control panel there is no output source to choose from (the list is completely blank). I am using the default sound values of:

Audio Output Device: /dev/disp
Audio Mixer Device: /dev/mixer

I have absolutely no idea why it is working in some places and not others... I am running SheepShaver on Mac OS X 10.5.1 on a MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo with 2gb ram, volume is of course turned up. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas on how to fix this? I really would like to have sound when using Mac OS 9... Thanks!

- John Musbach

Reply with quote Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:22 pm 
Inquisitive Elf

Did you use an universal install disc, or a machine specific one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:25 pm 
Space Cadet

hello, thank you for the reply :)

I am using a universal install disc...

My plan of action based on research I have done since initially making this thread is as follows:

1) Update SheepShaver binary with this one: http://emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5004

2) Delete the Sheepshaver_nvram.dat file

3) Cross my fingers

4) Report back my findings here

Wish me luck! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:44 am 
Space Cadet

I solved the problem, turns out the rom I was using (TNT PowerMac 8600) didn't support builtin sound when used with SheepShaver, so I followed the instructions here: http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepS ... ow_to.html to extract the newworld rom from the imac update 1.1 and everything is working good now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:35 am 
Master Emulator

Why you need a Mac OS ROM when you have a real ROM?
Delete the "Apple Audio Extension" and try again using your 8600 ROM. see if there is the "Built-in" sound output device in the sound control panel. I do this every time when I install universal retail 9.0 with my 8500 ROM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:21 am 
Space Cadet

Wow... I don't seem to have any control panels.

Can anyone potentially send me a ZIP file of a full control panels folder? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:23 am 
Expert User

Huh? No control panels? That is not possible after a normal system installation. Where do you look for your control panels? There should be a folder "Control panels" in the System folder and an alias to that folder in the "Apple menu" folder in System folder. If the control panels are missing, one could wonder what else is missing. Maybe you should install your system again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:31 pm 
Space Cadet

Yup, unfortunately Sheep Shaver wouldn't recognize my OS 9 install disc so I simply downloaded a prepared Sheep Shaver image. And yeah, it's missing quite a few things, but everything works except for sound. I don't have the Apple Audio extension, so I can't remove that - the only thing it seems I can do is open a non-existent control panel.

And yes, I know where the control panels are, I had Mac OS 9 my entire life before Mac OS X was released. There's no where else to look, in any case.

To be fair, I do have exactly three control panels:
AppleTalk, QuickTime, and Startup Disk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:24 pm 
Expert User

That is probably a minimal system, such as can be used on a emergency disk. You probably miss much more than the thirty odd control panels in a default MacOS9 installation. Some, when added, may not work because related extensions or system file components are also missing.

Sound is enabled by selecting the Built-in output device in Sound control panel. Is your system English? My Sound control panel is Dutch. Maybe someone can provide an English MacOS9 Sound control panel (version 8.1.3).

But why don't you find yourself a proper system install disk to install a complete system?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:03 am 
Space Cadet

I fixed this by going to the Sound control panel and changing system alert sounds. After the first sosume sound works in other apps

Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note by moderator: You posted in a 12 year old topic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:18 pm 
Space Cadet

Yes, this is a 12 year old topic, but the problem still exists in 2020. Reading this thread, it seems that my issue is slightly different, yet the same result

I am running the MacOS9 version that I downloaded as already setup and ready to go. When I start the emulation, there is no startup sound. When the desktop appears, I get messages from a script about things not existing, including one that says a command couldn't be processed because volume was missing, either disabled or unmounted. I have no idea what that means, and the other errors it reports are for a different topic. Anyway, I can go to the Sound control panel and Built-In is listed. I click it to select it and then I can have sounds, but only until the next time I restart or run SheepShaver again. I didn't have various system sounds until I set a theme for the desktop, and even then I had to go back more than once to re-select Apple Platinum sounds before it worked. I understand that SheepShaver doesn't emulate all Macintosh hardware fully, so is there a way to get the sounds to be on by default? I have looked at the SheepShaver prefs and all it has is an item that says nosound false. I'm guessing that's supposed to turn sounds off if set true, but it's already off without that setting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:53 am 
Expert User

WayneCa wrote:
I am running the MacOS9 version that I downloaded as already setup and ready to go.
You mean a preconfigured setup around SheepShaver? There are several different ones available from different sources. Please tell us which one and from where you downloaded it.

And which is your host system?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:30 pm 
Forum All-Star

I think the post to which you're responding may refer to my Mac OS 9 for Windows system. I got an email today about a similar problem with the startup script in that system, a problem that I can't reproduce.

If this is in fact my system, then the SheepShaver build in it is one that I made with MinGW a year ago using kanjitalk755's code at the time.

EDIT: As for sounds, SheepShaver doesn't support the Mac startup sound. As for the other problems, again, I can't reproduce the problem. Try deleting this file:

MacOS9/Programs/SheepShaver_nvram.dat

and see what happens.