Ferazel's Wand

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Ferazel's Wand

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, the SDL renderer uses direct3d or opengl (or software), not the emulated OS.
I don't know the specifics, the commit message is not that informative about performance

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/pull/92

Best,
Cat_7
Sarah
Space Cadet

Post by Sarah »

Hi,

Can y'all please PLEASE tell me how to access Ferazel's Wand on my modern computer. I can't seem to find it anywhere but you guys seem to have figured it out. Is SheepShaver the name of the emulator? Can anyone give me a little breakdown on how to access the game?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You will need to use an emulator like SheepShaver that can run classic MacOS.
The issue that prevented running Ferazel's Wand in SheepShaver was solved back in 2012.
See our SheepShaver setup manuals.
For Windows hosts: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup
For OSX/macOS hosts: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup
Clovett996
Student Driver

Post by Clovett996 »

I have tried downloading Ferazel's Wand from Macintosh Repository https://www.macintoshrepository.org/4577-ferazel-s-wand. I can't get the .img file to mount. I have Disk Copy v6.3.3, and I also tried Virtual-CD-DVD-Utility, to no avail.Image

Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

This is a different issue, not related to the discussion in this topic.

If you want to mount the disk image in SheepShaver, do not import it SheepShaver, but add the .img file to the volumes list, depending on the host OS in SheepShaver GUI or SheepShaver Preferences.

Edit: You are using E. Mendelson's pre-configured Mac OS 9 application. See instructions on his page about how to add a disk image.
Clovett996
Student Driver

Post by Clovett996 »

Thank you for your reply. I tried the instructions on his site, but I'm using a .img file, and he says that this file type is not as well supported. When I drag and drop the .img file onto the Mac OS 9 app (that is what he labeled his Sheepshaver app), Sheepshaver doesn't open like it does with other files that do work.

Like you've said in the past, this seems to be one of those games that Sheepshaver does not like, for some reason.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Clovett996 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:36 pmLike you've said in the past, this seems to be one of those games that Sheepshaver does not like, for some reason.
That was about a different issue that was solved a long time ago.

The Mac OS 9 app does not work with disk images with an .img extension, but the image may work when the extension is changed to .dsk. Do not simply change the file name in the Finder, but do it in Finder Info panel for the file to make sure the .img extension does not remain hidden after the .dsk extension.

Then use the instructions that E. Mendelson gives:
For disk images used for games or software installation: If you want to mount a CD-ROM image that will let you install a game or other software, shut down the Mac OS 9 app, then drop the image on the Mac OS 9 app. Then follow the prompts to add the image as an additional disk, and choose the option to leave the image in its present location and link it to the application. Then, launch the Mac OS 9 app and install your game or software. Then shut down the Mac OS 9 app and either delete, move, or rename the disk image that you added and no longer want to use in Mac OS 9. The next time you start up the Mac OS 9 app, the disk image will no longer be on the desktop.
Clovett996
Student Driver

Post by Clovett996 »

I had actually tried setting the extension to .dsk previously, with no luck.

However, someone on Macintoshrepository.org insisted that I try again to unzip the image file and mount it from within Mac OS 9. For some reason, when I unzipped the file this time, the installer folder opened immediately without issue. I'm still unclear if it was ever mounted, but I guess it had to have been since the installer folder was presumably what was on the .img.

So, I seem to have a working fully copy of Ferazel's Wand on a M1 Pro MBP! I got this version of Ferazel from Macintosh Repository.

Is there any way to get it in full screen? The window very small right now because it switches to 256 resolution.

Edit: I got it to full screen by changing Sheepshaver to full screen mode (I didn't realize you could do that)
FuzzyPuffin
Space Cadet

Post by FuzzyPuffin »

So I went back to finish the game up after a long hiatus and while my Sheepshaver install was intact, the game install and my saves vanished. Weird. Going to plow through the game this time, lol.

I had to do a few different things to get the game running again for some reason (maybe due to a macOS upgrade). Probably mentioned in this thread already, but writing them down for convenience.

To install:

1. In Sheepshaver settings, create a new drive big enough to hold the game CD .img and the game itself.
2. Copy the game CD .img over to the new drive from the Unix drive.
3. Use a mounted version of Disk Copy to mount the copied .img.
4. Use the mounted .img to install the game to the drive you created in step 1.

To configure:

1. In Sound control panel, select the Output and then Built-in.
2. Press control-return to enter fullscreen.
3. In the game preferences > Controls, check Input Sprockets.
Last edited by FuzzyPuffin on Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.