Compiling SS under Leopard

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

DrLex
Tinkerer

Compiling SS under Leopard

Post by DrLex »

Has anyone attempted this, or even come close to succeeding? I ran into so many problems that I gave up.
First of all, it's impossible to install SDL through Fink because it depends on XFree86 and Leopard uses X.org. I kind of got around this by installing the SDL package from the SDL website. But when running the configure script following the instructions on Gwenole's site, I get all kinds of errors because the script seems corrupted:

Code: Select all

./configure: line 8426: syntax error near unexpected token `<<<'
./configure: line 8426: `<<<<<<< configure.ac'
I managed to get it to work by removing all those lines from the script that looked like randomly inserted garbage. I also had to explicitly use "--without-gtk". But when running 'make', I get:

sigsegv.cpp:1660: error: ‘SIGSEGV_FAULT_HANDLER_ARGLIST’ was not declared in this scope
And at this point I simply gave up.

The reason why I'm trying this, is because I have yet again lost some work due to the crashing keyboard/mouse access and I'm getting to the threshold of being prepared to try to debug it myself.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I never tried to build SheepShaver on Leopard, but I will give it a try.
I brought the keyboard/mouse issue to the attention of the developer and he showed interest in the issue. But if or when this issue will tackled, I don't know...

Best,
Cat_7
mhmyers
Student Driver

Post by mhmyers »

I cannot get SS to work on Leopard at all. The GUI gives me the "Cannot map RAM" error and the app gives me a spinning beachball when launched.

I had to revert to 10.4.11 because of this. Any help appreciated. thx.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Did you try a fresh install in Leopard or did you copy an existing SS installation? From the same machine?

The "cannot map ram" error seems to be associated with the rom file used.
Does the error occur when running the GUI that is integrated in the most recent SS builds?

Did you try to zap the pram file? The build-in GUI doesn't have the option to do that from the GUI, so you can delete the file called .sheepshaver_nvram in you home folder and start SS again.

If you don't know how to delete a normally invisible file, download
the stand-alone GUI that comes with the original SS program from here:
http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects ... #downloads
It has the option to zap the pram file in under the "File" menu.

Good luck, let us know how you're coming along.

Cat_7
mhmyers
Student Driver

Post by mhmyers »

I copied the SS folder from my main machine to the external drive that has the Leopard install. (I am not ready to fully upgrade to 10.5 since there are so many things I don't like about it- so I keep it on an external partition).

I tried 2 ROM files- one from the 1.0 ROM update and another I harvested from my G3 that I prefer since it allows the Startup Disk CP to work. Neither allowed SS to launch on 10.5

I did zap the PRAM from the GUI, no better. I deleted the 2 invisible files (and reset the prefs), also to no avail.

I am using the 2.3 universal SS app. Some of the other builds like the intel one did not work as well for my purposes- I forget why now. But I will try a fresh install of different builds and GUI and let you know how things are going.
mhmyers
Student Driver

Post by mhmyers »

An update.

I tried 4 different SS builds. None worked in 10.5.

Zapping the PRAM left the _nvram invisible file out and it would not get replaced (the app startup never got far enough to rebuild it).

I'm out of choices that I can think of.
mhmyers
Student Driver

Post by mhmyers »

I finally got SS to work under Leopard!

I reinstalled the 10.5.1 update downloaded from the Apple site (not from Software Update) and it launched.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You can run SheepShaver from the command line, so we get more information from it. Right click SheepShaver, select "Show Package Contents", go to Contents, then MacOS and start the SheepShaver program shown there. Please copy/paste the information from the Terminal screen here.

Best,
Caty_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Those posts nearly collided! Just had my nightly nap, but you seem to be on the game still?
OK, great to hear. But still a mystery somehow. I would like to know what is going on with Leopard. It seems it's a bit buggy in .0 version. Somehow I now believe it's a permissions error somewhere.

Well, you know what they say about Mac OS versions:
.0 is for your enemies, .1 is for your friends and .2 is for you....

Best,
Cat_7
mhmyers
Student Driver

Post by mhmyers »

The only difference in the Terminal output was this entry under 10.5.1:

"Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz."
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

I just downloaded the Basilisk and SS sources, did a configure and make, but then get these errors:

(for some weird reason, I can't post the errors here, because then I get an error that I'm not allowed to post in this forum)
pasted the errors here: http://pastebin.org/18802

looks like clear errors in the source, but maybe something went wrong here at configuration or something?
Here is my configuration output:

SheepShaver configuration summary:

SDL support ...................... : none
FBDev DGA support ................ : no
XFree86 DGA support .............. : no
XFree86 VidMode support .......... : yes
Using PowerPC emulator ........... : no
Enable JIT compiler .............. : no
Enable video on SEGV signals ..... : yes
ESD sound support ................ : no
GTK user interface ............... : no
mon debugger support ............. : no
Addressing mode .................. : real
Bad memory access recovery type .. : mach

Configuration done. Now type "make".
I'm on OS X 10.5.1 on a G5.
Would love to hear about your tries.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Did you install the SDL libraries? You can use Fink to install them. There's no Fink package for Leopard yet, so you have to install from sources. The Fink website offers the source and a manual.

However, even after install SDL I run into errors compiling on Intel Leopard. The SheepShaver code itself does compile on 10.4.10.

Best,
Cat_7
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

Yes I installed SDL with Fink for Leopard already.
But why does it compile on 10.4 but not on 10.5?
New GCC which is more restrict or what?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I didn't see you configured with sdl support.

I run autoconf like this from the MacOSX directory:
NO_CONFIGURE=1 ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I m4" ./autogen.sh

Then configure with:
./configure --enable-sdl-static --enable-sdl-video --enable-sdl-audio --enable-vosf=no

That enables SDL support if SDL was installed correctly.
Also BasiliskII doesn't compile and that has had the most recent update. I believe reading in the CVS messages it was fixed to build on Leopard.
mhmyers
Student Driver

Post by mhmyers »

SS works fine under 10.5.2 with the Jan. 08 Intel Mac build.

Thank you!