Basic help for installing and using SheepShaver?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ericss
Space Cadet

Basic help for installing and using SheepShaver?

Post by ericss »

I found this site while googling around looking for information on SheepShaver. I don't know much about it except that it might be a replacement for Classic, which has been axed in 10.5. I have a PowerMac G4 and use Classic for some tasks since I have 15+ years of documents developed with Classic apps.

I read the FAQ on the SheepShaver site but it's pretty bare bones. I downloaded the OS X version and read the README stuff but it seems to assume a familiarity with having already gone through the process. For example, I gather I need a bootable CD containing a classic Mac OS, but what do I do with it? Copy it to my HD and S.S. runs it from there? And the ROM file - would that be in the System Folder of the CD, or would the one in my Classic folder work? The instructions are not precise on exactly what to do.

Is there a basic step-by-step instruction guide somewhere?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, getting to grips with SheepShaver might be cumbersome.
Three basic things are required:
-Mac OS CD (8.5 or 9.0.4)
-Rom file
-The SheepShaver program

The tasks below are just one time tasks, but can be tricky

-To extract a rom file: http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepS ... ow_to.html
Just put it in your SheepShaver folder.

Further info:
-SheepShaver reads cd's without any extra efforts. You just need to insert it in your mac.

Using the GUI, you have to make some settings for SheepShaver to work
-You need to prepare a disk image (put it in the SheepShaver folder)
-You need to point SheepShaver to the Rom file you extracted
-You need to set the mac model you want emulated
-You need to set the screen size SheepShaver will use.

After that, starting SheepShaver will be just like installing Mac OS on a new machine. You need to initialize the hard disk and install the operating system etc....

Information on how to handle the GUI can be found here:
http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/proje ... _ppc_intel

This might also be a very helpful post from our member Ronald P. Regensburg:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3179

I hope this get you on your way: if not, just ask

Cat_7
ericss
Space Cadet

Post by ericss »

Hey, thanks very much! I think that's enough to get me started, and hopefully as I go questions will resolve themselves. 8)

As it happens, I am awaiting delivery of an OS 8.6 disk to update my PowerBase 200 (old PPC clone), so I assume that will work out fine for SheepShaver too. Thanks!

Eric
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

You do need to insert CDs *before* running SheepShaver.

If you need two CDs (for some game, for instance) you*may* be ok making a disk image of one, but this may not work.
ericss
Space Cadet

Post by ericss »

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean. I assumed that once the Classic OS was installed by SheepShaver, its disk would no longer be needed when running it. Are you saying that the Classic OS disk needs to be in the drive whenever SheepShaver is run?

Eric
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

No, no... if you want to use some other CD (after you've set up SheepShaver and installed the OS) you need to have it in there before you start the emulator.