SheepShaver for Windows

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver for Windows

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Well, if that game cannot be used with QT 4 and indeed needs QT 6, it will not run in SheepShaver.
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

Is there something like list of Sheepshaver compatible games?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Check the software on the Macintosh Garden site. Many games there that will run in SheepShaver and/or BasiliskII. If a game is known to work in SheepShaver, it is labeled as "This game works with: SheepShaver".
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'd call it The Macintosh Garden :)

Any game that requires Quicktime 6 is likely Carbon friendly though, and so will run under OS X 10.2 through 10.4.
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

adespoton wrote:I'd call it The Macintosh Garden :)

Any game that requires Quicktime 6 is likely Carbon friendly though, and so will run under OS X 10.2 through 10.4.
What it measn real Mac only or is possible to use some emulator?
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Check the software on the Macintosh Garden site. Many games there that will run in SheepShaver and/or BasiliskII. If a game is known to work in SheepShaver, it is labeled as "This game works with: SheepShaver".
Yeah i know it, but it is different thing, click games one by one and have something like compatibility list as for other emulators.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Before I try to reinvent the wheel, has anyone developed a standalone package of SheepShaver for Windows - one that would include its own internal GTK instead of relying on a runtime installed in Windows itself?

This seems like an interesting problem, but if it's either (1) impossible or (2) been done already, then I won't waste time trying to solve it.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

emendelson wrote:Before I try to reinvent the wheel, has anyone developed a standalone package of SheepShaver for Windows - one that would include its own internal GTK instead of relying on a runtime installed in Windows itself?

This seems like an interesting problem, but if it's either (1) impossible or (2) been done already, then I won't waste time trying to solve it.
To answer my own question, it turns out that this isn't exactly possible, but it's certainly possible to pack up everything (including the GTK runtime) into a single folder and run it from there. The only requirement is that the GTK runtime be in the path. So it's possible to write (using a scripting program like AutoIt) an installer that would install everything except the ROM file and make sure that the right folder for GTK is in the path.

If anyone has any plans to do this with something more advanced than AutoIt, I won't spend time doing it badly. But if anyone's interested in one-stop installer, it's something I might want to do as an exercise.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I'd be interested, and would be happy to add it to the guide in the wiki, if it is really user friendly I've been meaning to update both the Basilisk II and SheepShaver guides to make them easier to follow and with fewer steps. I'll certainly test out your proposed installer since I have more time on my hands now.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

ClockWise wrote:I'd be interested, and would be happy to add it to the guide in the wiki, if it is really user friendly I've been meaning to update both the Basilisk II and SheepShaver guides to make them easier to follow and with fewer steps. I'll certainly test out your proposed installer since I have more time on my hands now.
I won't get around to it for at least a few weeks, but it shouldn't be hard to do. I've done similar things for the vDos and DOSBox emulators.

What I have in mind now is an Inno Setup installer that would install SheepShaver.exe, SDL.dll, a keycodes file, a prefs file, the GTK runtime, and maybe an empty disk image for installing Mac OS. Then the installer would run a compiled AutoIt Script that add the GTK folder to the path, prompt the user for a ROM file, and prompt for the location of either a pre-existing Mac OS system disk image or an installer disk.

Questions: Where should the folder with SheepShaver, etc., be located by default? What settings make the most sense for RAM, screen size, etc.?
macplus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by macplus »

emendelson wrote:Where should the folder with SheepShaver, etc., be located by default?
Easy one, "C:\Program Files ((x86) in a 64 bit machine)\SheepShaver".
emendelson wrote:What settings make the most sense for RAM, screen size, etc.?
For the screen size, I would suggest leaving it at 640x480 and RAM wise, I suggest 512 MB.

Edit: YAY! I got a new rank!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

macplus wrote:
emendelson wrote:Where should the folder with SheepShaver, etc., be located by default?
Easy one, "C:\Program Files ((x86) in a 64 bit machine)\SheepShaver".
emendelson wrote:What settings make the most sense for RAM, screen size, etc.?
For the screen size, I would suggest leaving it at 640x480 and RAM wise, I suggest 512 MB.
I ended up going a different route, as described here:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =33&t=9358
MrThrall
Space Cadet

Post by MrThrall »

Hey Cat_7, I have a bit of a problem with the sheepshaver GUI on windows 10...
there are apparently 3 missing .dll files, and here's the list of the ones listed in the errors...

libglib-2.0-0.dll
libgobject-2.0-0.dll
libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll

If there's any way to fix this, I would really appreciate some help.

MrThrall
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Did you follow the guide here:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup

It contains a link to the suggested version of GTK you need to install to use the GUI.
The errors you report stem from a GTK installation that wasn't performed correctly, or not at all.
Or do you perhaps already have a GTK installation needed by some other software you installed?

ps: you do not need the gui to run SheepShaver, you can also edit sheepshaver_prefs manually and set the paths to rom, cd and hard disk image, etc.

Best,
Cat_7
Citroenaap
Student Driver

Post by Citroenaap »

Dear All,

I am stuck in trying to use sheepshaver. When i try to start it one of my screens goes black and my PC freezes compleetly resulting in having to cut the power. See underneath for some more back ground info. I am on Windows 10.0 x64.

i might have a different situation then most on this form. My dad still has a functioning MAC with 9.0,9.1 or 9.2 on it. The most important part is that this OS supports ArchiCAD 6.5. He stopped updating resulting in him only being able to work with this version of ArchiCAD. I want to emulate Mac OS 9.0 to install Archicad 6.5 on it so he can keep working on it. I am a total noob on emulators, all help is welcome.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Did you follow the setup guide? Specifically, did you make sure all needed additional files are installed* and did you configure SheepShaver using the SheepShaverGUI before trying to start SheepShaver itself?

* About the additional files, note at the beginning of the setup guide the sentence:
"You should probably use the release from May 6, 2013. Make sure to first download the archive listed under "To get started, always download this" so that you have a complete package."
Citroenaap
Student Driver

Post by Citroenaap »

the only part i did not understand 100% is this:

just extract and put the file SDL.dll in the directory containing SheepShaver

What is meant with the directory. i understood it as just place the dll in the folder where i extracted the files. i gues this is wrong?

i did not use GUI

I DID IT! thx for the guide, only thing what would be nice to add is what the directory means door the noobs like me that didn't know.

next up how to install something on this emulated mac program.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

"Directory" is a common term for a way to group files in a file system. In the graphic interface on your screen, a directory is represented by a folder. For everyday use you can read "directory" as "folder".
GarkGarcia
Student Driver

Post by GarkGarcia »

Hey, I'm trying to install it, but I'm a bit confused... How am I supposed to name the ROM file so that SheepShaver is able to find it?

Anyway, ty for your help!
Temporary Joe
Student Driver

Post by Temporary Joe »

GarkGarcia wrote:Hey, I'm trying to install it, but I'm a bit confused... How am I supposed to name the ROM file so that SheepShaver is able to find it?

Anyway, ty for your help!

Code: Select all

Mac OS ROM
In other news, I think that the 2013 build functions better for games (Barrack is fixed, something a previous build had major problems with and reported to MECS; plus audio seems all-around cleaner). One thing that still is missing that I wish SS had is the "more complete ADB mouse emulation", as that is what appears to prevent Apeiron from running.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

A few months ago, I had no trouble building SheepShaver in MinGW under Windows, but I'm getting various errors with the current code - but they seem to be errors in my build system, saying that the C compiler can't create executables. Is there any hope that the build instructions on the wiki might be checked and updated? Thanks!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

emendelson wrote:A few months ago, I had no trouble building SheepShaver in MinGW under Windows, but I'm getting various errors with the current code - but they seem to be errors in my build system, saying that the C compiler can't create executables. Is there any hope that the build instructions on the wiki might be checked and updated? Thanks!
Wait - I entirely forgot that dadreamer had solved this. First, follow these instructions for cleaning the configure file:

viewtopic.php?p=56022#p56022

Then, as dadreamer says in another message, replace the CC etc. command in the wiki with this one:

CC='gcc -mwin32 -std=gnu++11' CXX='g++ -mwin32 -std=gnu++11' ./configure --with-gtk=no --enable-jit=no

And that builds SheepShaver for Windows. I haven't tried this with current code (I'm still using the code from March 2017), but will try it again later.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

And further to this, it seems that this method only works with rakslice's fork, and I haven't figured out any way to build current SheepShaver code for Windows...
kanjitalk755
Apple Corer

Post by kanjitalk755 »

I have moved from GitHub.

How to build rakslice's code

(1) checkout rakslice/macmeu:windows_build_script branch
(2) cd SheepShaver
(3) make links
(4) cd src/Windows
(5) ln -s ../Unix/m4
(6) NO_CONFIGURE=1 ../Unix/autogen.sh
(7) ./configure --with-gtk=no --disable-jit
(8) delete sysdeps.h#L28, following line

Code: Select all

#define min(x,y) ((x) < (y) ? (x) : (y))
(9) delete "-lpthread" at Makefile#L40
(10) make

This version can run, but may be unstable depending on RAM amount.
I recommend following setting.
ramsize 67108864

EXE file is here.
http://fast-uploader.com/file/7068474027148/
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Thank you for the exe file and the instructions. Unfortunately, when I run ./configure etc, I get this error message:
checking whether VirtualProtect works... no
configure: error: Sorry, Windows VM functions don't work as expected on your system.
I have never figured out how to fix this error. I'm running under Windows 7 32-bit, but I've seen the same error under 64-bit Windows. Possibly I need to change some BIOS settings, and I will experiment. EDIT: All virtualization features are enabled in the BIOS. So I'm baffled by this.