SheepShaver for Windows

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

RetroGamerCX
Student Driver

Re: SheepShaver for Windows

Post by RetroGamerCX »

it would be very good if when pressing the "windows logo" key, the start menu does not appear, causing the command to be sent to the emulator and so the operating system thinks it is the "option" key
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Unfortunately, that's impossible in Windows.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Added a new 22 September 2020 SheepShaver build.
Builds no longer require installation of the gtk development environment to have a working GUI.
Tomorrowman
Space Cadet

Post by Tomorrowman »

I an unable to use the keycodes file in the latest build.

I get the error "Cannot find vendor 'windows' in keycode translation file BasiliskII_keycodes."

Has the format of keycodes file changed?

Thanks
Last edited by Tomorrowman on Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Yes, the new SDL2 builds also need a new keycodes file. The new keycodes file, together with a ReadMe about changed mappings of the modifier keys should have been added to the download.

The new build was posted by Cat_7, I will contact him about it.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The download in the first post has been updated with the keycodes and readme file.
Tomorrowman
Space Cadet

Post by Tomorrowman »

Thank you
ChrisChiesa
Space Cadet

Post by ChrisChiesa »

Complete Noob question: I've just discovered Mac emulation. I am trying to set up SheepShaver v2.5 on Windows 7 64-bit, but have run into one crucial problem: what should a ROM image file be named, and where should it reside (what folder) in the host computer (Windows) filesystem? I've downloaded a Zip of Old World ROM images, have extracted from it a .ROM file named "1995-01 - 9B7A3AAD - Power Mac 7100 (newer).ROM" and placed it in the folder containing SheepShaver.exe et al, but still get a "Cannot open ROM file" error. I assume this is because SheepShaver is looking for the .ROM file somewhere else or by a different name, but I can imagine other causes, such as the .ROM file being in "the wrong format" or something.

Oh, and since I will have multiple ROMs handy, how do I tell SheepShaver which one to use, if I want to be able to switch among them?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

For SheepShaver to immediately recognise a rom file, it should be called Mac OS ROM (no extension) or ROM (no extension). That file should be in the same folder as the SheepShaver program.

You can also edit the sheepshaver_prefs file with a plain text editor and point SheepShaver to any rom file location/name you want. Just change the path and name after the line starting with rom.
Also take a look at our guide on setting up SheepShaver for Windows: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup

Best,
Cat_7
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I have extracted from it a .ROM file named "1995-01 - 9B7A3AAD - Power Mac 7100 (newer).ROM"
I don´t this is going to work. Nubus Mac ROMs do not work with SheepShaver.
Please search for "ROM" without the quotes at macintoshgarden.org to find a collection, (1. DL) has some working ones collected.
The collection was also uploaded to the Internet Archive some time ago.
You want a ROM file from the Power Mac 8500/8600. Those will also allow running System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A new build has been linked to in the first post in this thread.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

New Sheepshaver build has been added to the first post in this thread:
-allows redirecting a guest tcp port to the host
-plays a sound startup.wav at boot.

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Hi! I just saw the new build and wanted to give it a try, tough after copying my working hard disk file from SheepShaver 2015-03-15 and setting the ROM, the amount of RAM and bumping up the screen refresh rate from 7hz (why?) to 60hz, it booted, but it looks like it was unstable, cursor is sluggish, Stuffit Expander doesn't want to expand .sit files anymore and ResEdit tells me it cannot find the resource file when I just GET INFO on a file. All of this was working perfectly fine with SheepShaver 2015-03-15. Is there fundamentally different disk or memory emulation happening in 2021-02-06 that would cause Mac OS 9.0.4 to behave weirdly like this? It almost looks like memory corruption.

Also: startup.wav does not play on my computer when I launch SheepShaver 2021-02-06 :( I left the default startup.wav file that came with it as is :(
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

No idea why expanding etc would not work. It does over here. Sound plays just fine, resedit can do get info.
Did you create a new folder as is suggested for builds after 22-09-2020?
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup

Perhaps check you disk image?

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

I mean, I did as suggested "download all files into a new folder and make a fresh start (but you can still use your old disk image and ROM)" and so my disk image is a copy of my working disk image from the 2015 build that actually works flawlessly. I wonder if I should reinstall Mac OS 9.0.4 from scratch in the 2021 build? Tough, what is weird is that when I double click SheepShaver.exe there is no startup WAV played, which has absolutely nothing to do with my disk image or even Mac OS at all. Weird?
BR_DQS
Space Cadet

Post by BR_DQS »

hello every download has errors errors errors errors again and again,
like wtf, is it a fake website/project?
gettickcount64
libglib-2.0-0.dll and many other missing
SDL.dll : which version for all downloads? many versions (30+) exist.
can you put a dowload link that works?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Our recent downloads contain everything needed to run SheepShaver on Windows. Except for a rom file.

Please download the latest build from this forum thread:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5325&p=27446#p27446

Please read the guide and try again:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

E-Maculation is certainly NOT a fake site. But IMO, SheepShaver is just an extremely capricious emulator. There are often unexpected and impossible to debug errors happening when launching and even after launching it. I've encountered some of the most useless errors in SheepShaver over the years. The funniest error I've seen upon launching SheepShaver is: "ERROR: NO ERROR." I swear this exists. Often, you'd launch SheepShaver and it's working perfectly fine, then you close it and re-launch it again and it suddenly doesn't launch anymore. Only solution is to reboot. Often I'd have to reboot 3-4 times to get it to work. One day, I spent almost 20 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't launch and it turns out that EVEN if you have "Disable CD-ROM driver" checked, if the CD-ROM drive path is set to anything that does not exist, it will completely crash SheepShaver on launch. So if you set SheepShaver to disable CD-ROM driver, then make sure to erase anything written in the CD-ROM drive field too.

I want to let you all know that I finally found an extremely reliable fix to issues I've listed in my previous post: I actually have to empty the "SheepShaver_nvram.dat" file and lock it so that SheepShaver cannot write to it. MAGICALLY everything works rock solid now. Stuffit Expander works, ResEdit works, there seems to be no more freeze, crashes and no more DATA corruption. This emulator is just so weird!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A new build has been linked to in the first post in this thread.
-a new pref item "title" allows setting the name of the SheepShaver window.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

that-ben wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:59 pm I want to let you all know that I finally found an extremely reliable fix to issues I've listed in my previous post: I actually have to empty the "SheepShaver_nvram.dat" file and lock it so that SheepShaver cannot write to it. MAGICALLY everything works rock solid now. Stuffit Expander works, ResEdit works, there seems to be no more freeze, crashes and no more DATA corruption. This emulator is just so weird!
Did you have multiple different configurations writing to the same NVRAM file? I found the behaviour you describe in both SS and BII when doing that. Ensuring they write their NVRAM files to unique locations fixed those issues for me long ago.

The problem there is due to the NVRAM holding the hardware data for one configuration, and then trying to read the data it expects to be there for a different configuration, and ending up with garbage.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

adespoton wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:05 pm Did you have multiple different configurations writing to the same NVRAM file? I found the behaviour you describe in both SS and BII when doing that. Ensuring they write their NVRAM files to unique locations fixed those issues for me long ago.
I would not think so, no. I mean, SheepShaver_nvram.dat just sits there in the SheepShaver folder, so how would I cause another SheepShaver config to write in that file? I do have 4 different SheepShaver configs (one for each Mac OS version I want to use) but they're all in their own folder, with their own separate files. There is nothing in the prefs file that specifies where the SheepShaver_nvram.dat file is, so I don't think what you described fits my situation.
bigbro
Student Driver

Post by bigbro »

Hello
Is there a way to capture the mouse cursor inside the SS window - and then release it when alt-tabbing or something similar?
I prefer windowed mode - and anyway getting strange colors and artifacts in full-screen mode.
But playing many games is problematic without being able to capture the cursor inside the boundaries of the SS window. Think Shufflepuck Cafe for instance.
I'm running 9.0.4 on the latest Windows build under W10.
Sorry if it's obvious - I can't find the feature or reference to it.
Thanks in advance,
B.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You should be able to capture the mouse with Ctrl-F5

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A new build has been posted in the first post.

Best,
Cat_7
bigbro
Student Driver

Post by bigbro »

Thank you.
Ctrl-F5 works. Maybe it is standard procedure on WIndows. I switched recently.
Also full-screen is now fixed.
SS keeps getting better.