SheepShaver for Windows

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver for Windows

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

That could very well be, as SheepShaver patches the rom. The rom you are trying to use might not have the bits that need patching in the same place as other roms that do work.

So best to stick to the known-to-work roms.

Best,
Cat_7
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

Cat_7 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:26 am Hi,

That could very well be, as SheepShaver patches the rom. The rom you are trying to use might not have the bits that need patching in the same place as other roms that do work.

So best to stick to the known-to-work roms.

Best,
Cat_7
Uhhh, i tested Mac OS 7.6.1 and it does have sound (i am using PM9500 ROM, Sheepshaver build 29-05-2021)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

In that case, did you make sure to actually select (click on) the built-in option in the sound control panel?

Best,
Cat_7
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

Cat_7 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:35 pm In that case, did you make sure to actually select (click on) the built-in option in the sound control panel?

Best,
Cat_7
Weirdly enough, i cannot
here is proof
Last edited by psh on Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You'd need to upload your screen shot to some image/file sharing site and then link to it to have it show up here.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

From https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =840977089 :
1995-08-01 96CD923D dfebb8fdad4124e02608429d98bf349b Power Macintosh 7200, Power Macintosh 7500, Power Macintosh 8500, Power Macintosh 9500 (v1) 7.5.2(SE701)-9.1 512M-1.5G 4M PowerPC 601 Tsunami, Nitro, TNT, Catalyst This ROM is unstable when used with SheepShaver. Try turning on the 'ignoresegv' option and/or disabling JIT if you run into problems.
Let me know if I need to update this note. It makes sense that there may be audio issues with this ROM, as it's already known to be unstable with SS.
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

I'd be interested to know what the experts here make of the Sheepshaver 'Deluxe' pack that is up on the Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/sheepshaver-deluxe
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Well, it is obviously a "enhanced" download of a build I created for our forum. And a bad one at that, as it contains the preferences from the uploader's running system and a now obsolete gtk development package that was once needed to run the GUI ;-)
6Gb for a lot of Apple commercials and some software is steep....

The build date corresponds to an older build I created, and the readme about the keycodes was added by me.
While there is a referral to the website from which the included rom was taken, there is no such referral to our site. Oh well, no-one is prohibited to download and redistribute.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Should I add a comment to it?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

If you would, by all means.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Done.
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Added another comment.
KrondaliX
Space Cadet

Post by KrondaliX »

Okay i tested all the version from 2020 to 2021 (of course in a new folder)

The 2020-2021 versions are fast at loading up, launching apps etc.. so for this it's pretty good. However, the overall graphics are slower than the 2015 version i'm using when the OS is booted.
It's like when it's booted the CPU usage of the OS slows down graphics like lags in games which is really annoying.
I think it's related to new renderer because i see a difference in window output.

I attempted to use the same config as the older versions and even using "software renderer" same problem here.

I don't know if there is a tweak to this or it's only related to the new version but until there is an explantation i will stick with the 2015 version which is for me the best version here.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A new build was posted in the first post in this thread, fixing the cdrom entry reset at reboot.

Best,
Cat_7
markem
Space Cadet

Post by markem »

Hey! LOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGG time no post. :-)

A lot has happened to me - but that's not important. What IS important (and why I am posting) is that I made a small Windows DOS script to run SheepShaver. it also allows you to create your own individual preferences and it loads those in so SheepSaver can then run that particular task. So like I have a prefs file for OS 7, OS 8, and OS 9. I just run the DOS command and it will load in whichever one I want. So! Why am I posting? I'm giving it away to whomever wants to use it. I have tried to put all of the location items you have to set near the top and put a line of plus signs (+) at the top so everyone knows where to make changes. The only thing everyone has to remember is not put in extra spaces into things. Or to put that another way :

When you see:

set os7=<My Filename>

Do NOT change it to:

set os7 = <My Filename>

DOS is funky that way. Just change your "<My Filename>" to whatever you are making your filename be and leave it at that.
Also - you can include this with SheepShaver if you want to do so. :-) Anyway - here it is!

Code: Select all

rem
rem	RS - Run SheepShaver using a different prefs file each time.
rem	Version 1.20
rem	By Mark Manning
rem
rem	This file is copyleft using the MIT license.
rem	This is so you can modify it without regards to me but you can't sell it.
rem	Have fun!
rem	--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rem	Ok. This batch file is going to do several things.
rem
rem	The first thing it will do is allow you to run SheepShaver using one of your
rem	individual PREF files. I am setting it up to do OS 7.6.1, OS 8.6.1, and OS 9.0.4.
rem	YOU can change these or add to them by just modifying the various OSs (See Below)
rem	and the call line (or where the program is run).
rem
rem	IF you do not put anything after the RS line - then it just runs SheepShaver.
rem
rem	Example	:	RS 7
rem
rem	The above would run the System 7.6.1 preferences. Since I only need one of each
rem	there is no reason to be fancy. YOU can modify this to be more specific (like 7.6.1,
rem	7.6.2, 7.6.3, and so on).
rem
rem	Notes	:	Set your TAB stops to 4 or change all tabs to 4 spaces.
rem
rem	--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rem
rem	First thing first - clear the screen
rem
cls

rem
rem	Turn ECHO OFF! (Or turn it on if you want to see these commands run.)
rem
echo OFF

rem
rem	++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
rem	Set up the various OSs HERE. This makes it so you can move things around if you
rem	want to do so.
rem
rem	os7	=	The file name of your Mac OS v7 system is
rem	os8	=	The file name of your Mac OS v8 system is
rem	os9	=	The filename of your Mac OS v9 system is
rem	ssp	=	The ACTUAL SheepShaver preferences file (Normally it is "SheepShaver_prefs")
rem	MP	=	The path to SheepShaver. BE SURE TO CHANGE THIS TO >>>YOUR<<< location.
rem
rem	REMEMBER : THESE FILE NAMES SHOULD HAVE NO EXTENSION! So the actual SheepShaver
rem	preference file has the ".prefs" on the end of it - BUT THESE FILES should not
rem	have anything. Instead, the word PREFS becomes just a part of the name. That allows
rem	you to have BOTH files but not muck around with SheepShaver. :-)
rem
rem	NOTES	:	Note that I put all non-installation programs into a directory
rem				I call "Program_Files". This makes it look like the normal
rem				"Program Files" directory and keeps things similar to how
rem				Microsoft wants things done.
rem	++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
rem
set os7=OSv7_prefs
set os8=OSv8_prefs
set os9=OSv9_prefs
set ssp=SheepShaver_prefs
set mp=C:/Program_Files/SheepShaver-Windows-02-09-2021

rem
rem	The actual commands
rem
if [%1] == [7] copy "%mp%/%os7%" "%mp%/%ssp%"
if [%1] == [8] copy "%mp%/%os8%" "%mp%/%ssp%"
if [%1] == [9] copy "%mp%/%os9%" "%mp%/%ssp%"

rem
rem	REMEMBER! IF YOU MAKE CHANGES TO your preference file - you can save it
rem	AFTER you have run SheepShaver
rem
rem	Now - run SheepSaver
rem
set f=f
if [%2] == [] (
rem	echo HERE #1
	set f=t
	)

if [%2] == [r] (
rem	echo HERE #2
	set f=t
	)

if [%f%] == [t] (
	echo.
	echo.
	echo.
	echo Running SheepShaver - When you are through - press return
	echo.
	echo You can run SheepShaver with the "r" command
	echo OR you can not have a second option.
	echo.
	"%mp%/SheepShaverGUI.exe"
	echo.
	echo.
	echo.
	pause
	)

rem
rem	Here is where we save everything BACK to the preference file
rem
set f=f
if [%2] == [c] set f=t
if [%3] == [c] set f=t
if [%f%] == [t] (
	if [%1] == [7] copy "%mp%/%ssp%" "%mp%/%os7%"
	if [%1] == [8] copy "%mp%/%ssp%" "%mp%/%os8%"
	if [%1] == [9] copy "%mp%/%ssp%" "%mp%/%os9%"
)

rem
rem	IF YOU WANT TO KILL SHEEPSHAVER -> Use the letter "k"
rem
set f=f
if [%2] == [k] set f=t
if [%3] == [k] set f=t
if [%4] == [k] set f=t
if [%f%] == [t] (
	echo.
	echo.
	echo Killing SheepSaver - please wait
	echo.
	taskkill /T /F /IM sheepshaver.exe
)

echo.
echo.
echo.
echo Fini!
echo ON

markem
Space Cadet

Post by markem »

Well, I would have edited the last post - but I am not allowed to do so. I kept forgetting what to put as the command to run my own batch file. So now I made the batch file print out HOW to use it so I don't forget. I'm re-uploading it so the entire thing is here.

Code: Select all

rem
rem	RS - Run SheepShaver using a different prefs file each time.
rem	Version 1.20
rem	By Mark Manning
rem
rem	This file is copyleft using the MIT license.
rem	This is so you can modify it without regards to me but you can't sell it.
rem	Have fun!
rem	Ok. This batch file is going to do several things.
rem
rem	The first thing it will do is allow you to run SheepShaver using one of your
rem	individual PREF files. I am setting it up to do OS 7.6.1, OS 8.6.1, and OS 9.0.4.
rem	YOU can change these or add to them by just modifying the various OSs (See Below)
rem	and the call line (or where the program is run).
rem
rem	IF you do not put anything after the RS line - then it just runs SheepShaver.
rem
rem	Example	:	RS 7
rem
rem	The above would run the System 7.6.1 preferences. Since I only need one of each
rem	there is no reason to be fancy. YOU can modify this to be more specific (like 7.6.1,
rem	7.6.2, 7.6.3, and so on).
rem
rem	Notes	:	Set your TAB stops to 4 or change all tabs to 4 spaces.
rem

rem
rem	First thing first - clear the screen
rem
cls

rem
rem	Turn ECHO OFF! (Or turn it on if you want to see these commands run.)
rem
echo ON

rem
rem REMIND myself and everyone else YOU HAVE TO DO IT THIS WAY
rem
echo.
echo REMEMBER : YOU MUST USE THE PROGRAM THIS WAY!!!
echo.
echo [PROGRAM] [7-8-9] [r [c] [k]]
echo.
echo YOU CAN NOT JUST PUT THE 'c' or just the 'k' - you HAVE TO USE THE 'r'
echo OPTION ----BEFORE---- YOU CAN USE THE 'c' OR 'k' option. GOT IT?
echo.
echo You CAN leave off the 'c' or the 'k' but if you use either one,
echo the batch file WON'T run SheepShaver UNLESS you put the 'r' in!.
echo.

rem
rem	Set up the various OSs HERE. This makes it so you can move things around if you
rem	want to do so.
rem
rem	os7	=	The file name of your Mac OS v7 system is
rem	os8	=	The file name of your Mac OS v8 system is
rem	os9	=	The filename of your Mac OS v9 system is
rem	ssp	=	The ACTUAL SheepShaver preferences file (Normally it is "SheepShaver_prefs")
rem	MP	=	The path to SheepShaver. BE SURE TO CHANGE THIS TO >>>YOUR<<< location.
rem
rem	REMEMBER : THESE FILE NAMES SHOULD HAVE NO EXTENSION! So the actual SheepShaver
rem	preference file has the ".prefs" on the end of it - BUT THESE FILES should not
rem	have anything. Instead, the word PREFS becomes just a part of the name. That allows
rem	you to have BOTH files but not muck around with SheepShaver. :-)
rem
rem	NOTES	:	Note that I put all non-installation programs into a directory
rem				I call "Program_Files". This makes it look like the normal
rem				"Program Files" directory and keeps things similar to how
rem				Microsoft wants things done.
rem
set os7=OSv7_prefs
set os8=OSv8_prefs
set os9=OSv9_prefs
set ssp=SheepShaver_prefs
set mp=T:/Program_Files/SheepShaver-Windows-02-09-2021

rem
rem	The actual commands
rem
if [%1] == [7] copy "%mp%/%os7%" "%mp%/%ssp%"
if [%1] == [8] copy "%mp%/%os8%" "%mp%/%ssp%"
if [%1] == [9] copy "%mp%/%os9%" "%mp%/%ssp%"

rem
rem	REMEMBER! IF YOU MAKE CHANGES TO your preference file - you can save it
rem	AFTER you have run SheepShaver
rem
rem	Now - run SheepSaver
rem
set f=f
if [%2] == [] (
rem	echo HERE #1
	set f=t
	)

if [%2] == [r] (
rem	echo HERE #2
	set f=t
	)

if [%f%] == [t] (
	echo.
	echo.
	echo.
	echo Running SheepShaver - When you are through - press return
	echo.
	echo You can run SheepShaver with the "r" command
	echo OR you can not have a second option.
	echo.
	"%mp%/SheepShaverGUI.exe"
	echo.
	echo.
	echo.
	pause
	)

rem
rem	Here is where we save everything BACK to the preference file
rem
set f=f
if [%2] == [c] set f=t
if [%3] == [c] set f=t
if [%f%] == [t] (
	if [%1] == [7] copy "%mp%/%ssp%" "%mp%/%os7%"
	if [%1] == [8] copy "%mp%/%ssp%" "%mp%/%os8%"
	if [%1] == [9] copy "%mp%/%ssp%" "%mp%/%os9%"
)

rem
rem	IF YOU WANT TO KILL SHEEPSHAVER -> Use the letter "k"
rem
set f=f
if [%2] == [k] set f=t
if [%3] == [k] set f=t
if [%4] == [k] set f=t
if [%f%] == [t] (
	echo.
	echo.
	echo Killing SheepSaver - please wait
	echo.
	taskkill /T /F /IM sheepshaver.exe
)

echo.
echo.
echo.
echo Fini!
echo ON

markem
Space Cadet

Post by markem »

Ok. I have OS v7.6.1 up and running, OS v8.6 up and running, and OS 9.0.4 up and running.

What is really interesting is that there are about six sites which have all three OSs. Only - they don't work. A lot of the OS v9 disks are for a particular system or are for OS X and will only run under OS X. A lot of the OS v8 disks are either corrupted or just won't install on SheepShaver. It is the same with OS v7. A lot of corrupted OS disks which probably means they copied them a long time ago or that they copied them in a non-binary fashion (so all returns or linefeeds became the <CR><LF> that Microsoft uses (and which I still say is the right way it should be done). Anyway, I finally found my old OS v7, v8, and v9 cds and just used those to install my systems. Now I have about ten or twenty of each OS's IMG files which now I need to go through and check them once again and then get rid of if they are corrupted. I hope everyone else is doing well. :-)
Gidoza
Student Driver

Post by Gidoza »

Hi there - first time I'm using this. And I can't get past the first step. :)

I've followed all the instructions on the wiki - but when I hit "Start," I get the following error:

Cannot map second Kernel Data area: 487.

What do I do from here?

EDIT: Nevermind, just rebooting my computer and running SheepShaver immediately seems to have fixed the problem. But I have a new problem.

I copied some applications that were on my Windows computer to the Mac side. However, when in Mac OS 9, the applications seem to appear as DOCUMENTS and won't run. How do I get the Mac Applications to be Applications again?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Gidoza wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:57 pm I copied some applications that were on my Windows computer to the Mac side. However, when in Mac OS 9, the applications seem to appear as DOCUMENTS and won't run. How do I get the Mac Applications to be Applications again?
Basically, you can't. They lost their resource forks when you copied them to your Windows computer. You need to put them into Stuffit archives on a Mac (or Mac-emulating) system, and then unStuff them in SheepShaver.
Gidoza
Student Driver

Post by Gidoza »

Thanks! All good now. :)

emendelson wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:52 pm
Gidoza wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:57 pm I copied some applications that were on my Windows computer to the Mac side. However, when in Mac OS 9, the applications seem to appear as DOCUMENTS and won't run. How do I get the Mac Applications to be Applications again?
Basically, you can't. They lost their resource forks when you copied them to your Windows computer. You need to put them into Stuffit archives on a Mac (or Mac-emulating) system, and then unStuff them in SheepShaver.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

It's now possible to use the Win key on a Windows system to act as the Cmd key in BasiliskII. Is that possible under SheepShaver? Probably the answer is obvious, and I'm simply ignorant, but I'll be grateful for any information.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

See the discussion in the BasiliskII forum. It should be identical in SheepShaver.
Kurzih
Space Cadet

Post by Kurzih »

Hi!

First time posting here, but I've been using Mac emulators for quite a while (I think I even started using Sheepshaver for the first time on the Amiga - a looong time ago). Great online guides by the way!

My issue: I'm trying to get different prefs files selected when I start sheepshaver using the command line, but for some reason this command line option hasn't worked for many versions, including the latest update. I'm using the Windows version (on Win10):

from: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup

####
Starting SheepShaver from the command line

SheepShaver can be started from the command line in two ways:
By pointing SheepShaver to a preferences file aleady existing. You start SheepShaver with the argument ”–config prefs_file_name”.
####

I tried as an example: sheepshaver.exe -config "E:\Emulators\Macintosh\SheepShaver PPC Emulator\configs\90_prefs"

I also tried with --config and using cmd I looked what happened, but it doesn't do anything - doesn't start sheepshaver either if there's -config or --config after the executable.

The config command line does work with BasiliskII (with --config). Could you please check? Thank you!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, this doesn't seem to work. Stay tuned as I raise an issue.

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The --config issue has been fixed by Kanjitalk755.
Please download the latest build from the first post in this thread.

Best,
Cat_7