SheepShaver for Windows

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ravenholm
Space Cadet

Re: SheepShaver for Windows

Post by ravenholm »

I can't seem to download SheepShaver. None of the download links work.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You mean the links in the first post in this topic? Maybe it was a temporary problem? I tried the links just now and they all worked fine.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I feel the need to bump this thread. There is a new build available in the original post.
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

I've been feeling nostalgic again and thought I'd try the latest update of Sheepshaver (May 6, 2013)... but after having done so, i found that there is no longer any startup sound, despite the fact that I have "boing.wav" in the same folder as the Sheepshaver executable. Is there anything I can try to get the startup sound working again? Is there anything (any paths or values) that I'd need to declare in the SheepShaver_prefs file?
Machines:
  • iMac G3/600 (Summer 2001; DVD-ROM); Lubuntu 16.04
  • Compaq Presario V2000; Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
  • HP Media Center PC m7780n; Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon; Win 10 64-bit
  • Custom AMD 3950X gaming PC; Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon; Win 10 64-bit
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Ah, the start-up sound. It was just me who fiddled with the source code to get a sound at start-up. But it was just a one-off experiment and the code was never meant to be included in the official source code. I might have it stored somewhere, but I will not actively search for it.

Any build from the official git repository doesn't include it.

Best,
Cat_7
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

Ah, i see. Well, if it isn't meant to be in the official source code, then what about the bundled SheepShaverGUI? I can't recall who wrote that handy little "front-end", but couldn't that executable be modified/re-written to play a user-defined sound file in the background (without the need to open an external media player; ie. Windows Media Player) at the very instant, just before launching the actual SheepShaver executable? Just a thought...

I also considered that a Windows script could accomplish the same thing, but I have no idea how to write one, nor if it would actually work (play a sound just before launching Sheepshaver... but again, without inadvertently launching Windows Media Player).
Machines:
  • iMac G3/600 (Summer 2001; DVD-ROM); Lubuntu 16.04
  • Compaq Presario V2000; Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
  • HP Media Center PC m7780n; Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon; Win 10 64-bit
  • Custom AMD 3950X gaming PC; Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon; Win 10 64-bit
F3000
Student Driver

Post by F3000 »

I think the startup-sound was a very cool thing, and it's a pity it's not builtin. :sad:
GTR2013
Space Cadet

Post by GTR2013 »

I am using SheepShaver in XP SP3.
But I use a PM6500 ROM, it says ID 67 (PM9500) in Apple System Profile.
Please do a fix, please... :???:

note: 1. same for other ones, like the G3. :?: :?: :?: :?:
2. the rom here is the real PM6500 ROM file.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

GTR2013 wrote:I am using SheepShaver in XP SP3.
But I use a PM6500 ROM, it says ID 67 (PM9500) in Apple System Profile.
Please do a fix, please... :???:

note: 1. same for other ones, like the G3. :?: :?: :?: :?:
2. the rom here is the real PM6500 ROM file.
SheepShaver doesn't get the gestalt ID from the ROM file you use. See http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6016
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Use a rom file that is known to work with SheepShaver. If you search the web for "Redundant Robot SheepShaver" (without the quotes) you will find two compatible rom files, a "new world" rom (best for MacOS 8.5 through 9.0.4) and an "old world rom" that can be used with System 7.5.3 through MacOS 9.0.4.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

With the latest SheepShaver build (06-05-2013), when I boot my OS 8.6 system, I get "error type 102." All earlier builds boot this system successfully.

It doesn't help to boot with the shift key held down. I get the same result if I turn off the JIT compiler. I have "Ignore illegal memory access" turned on.

This build successfully boots my 9.04 setup, but not my 8.6 setup. Does anyone have any idea of what might be going wrong?
LaPorting4Duty
Space Cadet

Post by LaPorting4Duty »

Hello, people.

I'm trying to get SheepShaver to work on my custom-built computer running Windows 7 32-bit. The only problem is I can't get the menu tabs to show up, and this is really irritating me.

This is probably a rookie mistake, :oops: but could someone help me out please?

Thanks!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

What menu tabs are you referring to?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

ClockWise wrote:What menu tabs are you referring to?
Perhaps the tabs near the top of the window of the SheepShaverGUI application, as shown here:

My guess is that the tabs would not appear if the OP neglected to follow the very clear instruction in the setup guide that says:

SheepShaver requires SDL 1.2 Libraries (just extract and put the file SDL.dll in the directory containing SheepShaver) and a GTK +2 Runtime (install before you begin).

The original setup guide has a live link to the required GTK +2 Runtime installer.

(In a web site that I maintain, wherever I have instructions like the one above, I've found that I need to add a bold-face sentence saying something like "If you ignore the instructions immediately above to install X or Y, then this system is guaranteed not to work!" You might want to consider adding sentences like that at strategic places in the setup guides.)
will0956
Space Cadet

Post by will0956 »

My computer gets this error, I don't know what it means, can someone help?

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I see you use the 2010 SheepShaver build? If so, please donwload the latest version and replace your current SheepShaver.exe with the newer one.

After a quick search on the forum contents I found this reply I gave on your problem earlier ;-)

There is no simple solution to your SheepShaver-related problem. Somehow some other program on your machine is using memory that SheepShaver needs to use.
This is not nice of SheepShaver, but we currently can't help it. But there is also no need to reinstall SheepShaver or related programs.

We can only offer some hints:
-Close down as many programs as you can (after a clean start). I've seen problems with firefox, daemon tools and others.
-Try to minimize the amount of memory allocated to SheepShaver in the Preferences, but no less than 64 Mb.

Best,
Cat_7
macounett
Space Cadet

Post by macounett »

Hello,
first, I'm french, so that's why my english is so bad :(
I'm trying to install Sheepshaver on an old PC with windows XP, but it doesn't work.
I've downloaded this version: http://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver/ ... .win32.zip, and all others necessary files (http://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver/ ... -win32.zip and http://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver/ ... -setup.exe), and also "New World PPC ROM" and "Mac OS 9 Boot Image" from http://www.redundantrobot.com.
I extracted all files (putting them into the sheepshaver folder), installed GTK…

My problem is with GUI:
when I click on the "create" button in the "volumes" tab of GUI, I see the new window "create hardfile", then I choose the size (1024), I give it a name (macintosh HD) and I click "OK"; then the GUI returns to the “Volumes” tab, but …nothing happens!!
There is no hard file listed as added in the "volumes" tab… I've waited more than 20 minutes and… nothing!
What should I do?
Thanks for your help and sorry for my english!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Please download the latest SheepShaver version from the first post in this thread and replace your 2006 sheepshaver.exe with the new one.

Then try if your sheepshaver setup works. Open the GUI, and click "add" and select the file OS9.img you downloaded from redundantrobot. Does that appear in the volumes tab? If it does, start SheepShaver.

We will take a look at your other problem later.

Best wishes,
Cat_7
macounett
Space Cadet

Post by macounett »

Hello, thanks for your quick response :)
I've tried all that you said:
- replaced the 2006 sheepshaver.exe with the 06-05-2013.exe one (but I still can't create a hardfile)
- added the OS9.img file in GUI, and it appears in the volumes tab. But when I click on the "start" button in GUI, then comes a "SheepShaver Error" window: "Could not start SheepShaver executable"; and if I click on SheepShaver 06-05-2013.exe (in the SheepShaver folder), nothing happens :sad:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Which rom are you using for MacOS 9? Did you place the cdenable.sys file in the Windows/System32/Drivers/ folder? And did you enter the correct drive letter for your CD in the GUI?
Please paste the contents of your SheepShaver.prefs file in your reply.

Best,
Cat_7
macounett
Space Cadet

Post by macounett »

Hello,
I'm using this New World PPC ROM (http://www.redundantrobot.com/macemulat ... 86.rom.zip) downloaded from http://www.redundantrobot.com/.
I placed the cdenable.sys file in the Windows/System32/Drivers/ folder.
I didn't enter any letter in the GUI; in which tab? In "volumes" tab, I let: Boot From "any" and I didn't tick "disable CD-ROM driver". Should I do otherwise?

Here is the content of my SheepShaver.prefs file:

disk C:\Documents and Settings\PropriÈtaire\Bureau\Sheep windows\sheep old\SheepShaver-2.3\OS9.img
extfs
screen win/640/480
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 16777216
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv false
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs false
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT

Best
Macounett
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I see! There is no path to the rom in the prefs file. Without rom, SheepShaver will always refuse to run. (see our setup guide)
Please open the GUI and go to the tab "Memory/Misc". At ROM File click "browse" and select your rom file from your sheepshaver folder. Then start SheepShaver.

This this first. (please remember that the sheepshaver program has to be called SheepShaver.exe and that the SheepShaverGUI.exe has to be in the same folder if you want to start the program from the GUI)

If it still doesn't work, go to the Volumes tab, check that "Disable CD-ROM Driver" is not selected and at CD-ROM drive enter the drive letter to your CD/DVD drive. (like D:\)

And try again.

If SheepShaver still doesn't start, the only thing I can imagine that could help is to place all SheepShaver files in a folder that doesn't have diacritical marks or spaces in its name.
Perhaps you can put all files in
C:\SheepShaver\, instead of in:
C:\Documents and Settings\PropriÈtaire\Bureau\Sheep windows\sheep old\SheepShaver-2.3\

If you do try, then use the GUI to correct the paths to disk and rom.

Best,
Cat_7
macounett
Space Cadet

Post by macounett »

Hello,
The last soluce you said was the good one!!
I put all files in a new folder: C:\SheepShaver\
Then I could create a hardfile!!, I added my 0S9.img (downloaded from redundantrobot), I selected my rom file in the "memory/misc" tab, I gave it 512MB...
Then I clicked on the "start" button, and (miracle!) SheepShaver ran :smile:! but...it didn't boot: I only have a grey screen with a floppy icon and a flashing question mark :sad:
I tried to boot with my old CD (I have an old PowerMac 5500/225 with an install CD containing Mac0S 8.0) but it didn't work.
Should I try to boot with "system70 boot" from basiliskII and the "OS 753" folder? If yes where should I put them?

If you need, I paste below the new contents of my SheepShaver.prefs file:

disk C:\SheepShaver\macos9.hfv
disk C:\SheepShaver\OS9.img
cdrom F:\
extfs
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
rom C:\SheepShaver\MAC OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv false
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs true
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT

Thanks for helping me!
Macounett
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

You have to move your bootable image to the top of the "Volumes" listing.
IIRC this could be done by dragging the wanted image on Windows hosts.
macounett
Space Cadet

Post by macounett »

I did it: dragging my "C:\Sheepshaver\OS9.img" above my "C:\Sheepshaver\macOS9.hfv" in the GUI's "volumes" tab, but nothing changes: always this floppy icon with flashing question mark... :sad: