SheepShaver for Windows

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver for Windows

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

bigbro wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:48 amCtrl-F5 works. Maybe it is standard procedure on WIndows. I switched recently.
Ctrl-F5 mouse grabbing works since years in SheepShaver and BasiliskII on all host platforms. And, afaik, the same is true for the Ctrl-Return window-fullscreen toggle.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Cat_7 wrote: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:06 pm Most recent build:
SheepShaver for Windows (25-03-2021)
https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... c/download
Built from commit 7471c357c386395ca9447fbe094ce1f1313df797
Fixes:
-fixes full screen issue
"(25-03-2021)" ... Back to the future? O.o
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Another new build has been linked in the first post.

Best,
Cat_7
anotherboy
Space Cadet

Post by anotherboy »

Hello,
I'm trying to find a boot disk for MacOS 8, but I can't find any suitable one. I downloaded MacOS 8 in Bulgarian and I want to install it.
I have installed the latest version of the program + newworld86
Please help, any help is welcome :)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I suppose you ask this because your MacOS 8 installation disk cannot boot SheepShaver and contains only the installer.

You can use this disk image to boot SheepShaver: http://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver/ ... 85_PPC.img
anotherboy
Space Cadet

Post by anotherboy »

This helped a lot, thanks!
And one more question: I download MacOS 8 in Bulgarian from this archive:
https://archive.org/download/MacOSAntho ... 693185.IMG
as a .img file, but it doesn't recognize it at startup:
https://prnt.sc/10v8jhs
Is there a way to convert it or how to install it?
Thanks again, any help would be helpful!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I downloaded the file, but I do not know what it is. The .IMG extension suggests a disk image, but it is no regular HFS or HFS+ disk image. Maybe a damaged file. Nothing I have here, in modern macOS or in classic MacOS, recognizes the file format.
anotherboy
Space Cadet

Post by anotherboy »

Too bad. Thank you very much for your help, you are very kind.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Hello, I have three problems:
1、how to improve the file transfer speed of AFP server through IP connection? The transmission speed is only 1MB / s
2、In MAC, the Chinese character of the file name is garbled when the sheepshaver mounts the drive. like this "∫∫“«––ø¨ºÚ"
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Cat_7 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:37 am Another new build has been linked in the first post.

Best,
Cat_7
Hello, I have three problems:
1、how to improve the file transfer speed of AFP server through IP connection? The transmission speed is only 1MB / s
2、In MAC, the Chinese character of the file name is garbled when the sheepshaver mounts the drive. like this "∫∫“«––ø¨ºÚ"
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Are other names with Chinese characters displayed correctly? Did you install Chinese language pack and Chinese fonts in MacOS?
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:50 am Are other names with Chinese characters displayed correctly? Did you install Chinese language pack and Chinese fonts in MacOS?
1. Yes, it's the Chinese version of macos9. MacOSX is also a Chinese version. The folder in MacOSX is mapped to the UNIX directory displayed in macos9. When it is opened, it will display garbled code. But in win7, the sheepshaver shows Chinese correctly.
2. Another problem is that the AFP file type identification attribute of MacOS is lost after the local disk is mapped to computer in win7. How to solve this problem? How to make the file server in computer recognize AFP file type correctly? Especially EPS (lowerwriter script of quarkxpress3.3)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Can you describe your setup in more detail?
This topic is about SheepShaver for Windows, but you write about MacOSX and about the 'Unix" drive in MacOS9, which only applies to SheepShaver for OSX. But you write also about win7.

Which SheepShaver did you install on what kind of machine.
From what and where do you try AFP transfers of what kind of files to what and where.
shelsm
Tinkerer

Post by shelsm »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:01 am Can you describe your setup in more detail?
This topic is about SheepShaver for Windows, but you write about MacOSX and about the 'Unix" drive in MacOS9, which only applies to SheepShaver for OSX. But you write also about win7.

Which SheepShaver did you install on what kind of machine.
From what and where do you try AFP transfers of what kind of files to what and where.
OK, I'm using both. MacOSX 10.9 and windows 7 sheepshaver. But the reply here can't insert the screenshot, so it can only be explained by text.
I have a sheepshaver running on win7. Win7 connects a synology folder named 123, and this 123 supports AFP protocol. Another PowerPC runs macos9.2. PowerPC connects to 123 using 192.168.31.8ip mode, and reads and writes PSD and quark XPS documents. Mount drivers as X on the sheepshader of win7. This folder called "X" is the mapped network drive, which is "123". At this time, sheepshaver cannot recognize the. EPS document, indicating that the application that created it cannot be found, and the thumbnail is no longer displayed. It feels like the file recognition property of finder is missing. Is it because x is not a Mac disk attribute in sheepshaver? How to restore the file type approved by AFP mode?
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Hi all, thought I'd give the March version a try. Got a couple questions:

1) Cursor still feels sluggish even at 60hz or Dynamic refresh rate. Can anything be done to have it smooth like in the 2015 version? BTW, thank you for the host cursor not being displaced anymore when SheepShaver is in the background, this is such a relief, I couldn't stand it anymore! XD Also the sound volume can now be set to any value, which is very nice!

2) AppleScript seems to be borked in this release. I take the exact same hard drive file and attach it to boot SheepShaver 2015 and AppleScript runs no problem. But in the March 2021 version it does not. I tried rebooting, shutting down, starting up again, I mean that SheepShaver release starts no issue at all every single time, which is super nice, but AppleScript doesn't want to run. If I just open the Script Editor and do OPEN DICTIONARY on DiskCopy 6.4, I get this error:

I also got that one when launching Script Editor, but it only happened once, randomly:

fx42
Space Cadet

Post by fx42 »

anotherboy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:50 pm This helped a lot, thanks!
And one more question: I download MacOS 8 in Bulgarian from this archive:
https://archive.org/download/MacOSAntho ... 693185.IMG
as a .img file, but it doesn't recognize it at startup:
https://prnt.sc/10v8jhs
Is there a way to convert it or how to install it?
Thanks again, any help would be helpful!
This IMG file is corrupted, however you can download the full "Mac OS Anthology '99 Disk 1.cdr" (a DVD image file created with Toast), mount it in some macOS system and extract the BG693-1859.img. And then use Disk Utility to convert it into a "CD/DVD master image", which finally loads fine in SheepShaver. If you don't have any macOS machine, here the extracted image as zipped file:
https://valentin.dasdeck.com/tmp/BG693-1859.zip

And here a screenshot that shows that the bulgarian Mac OS 8 installer runs fine from this image in SheepShaver (although without any meaningful text, since my system can't handle bulgarian):
https://valentin.dasdeck.com/tmp/BG693-1859.png
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A new build has been linked to in the first post in this thread.

Best,
Cat_7
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

today i cannot launch my Sheepshaver because of "Cannot Map ROM"
How do i fix it?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, that is a nasty error. Often it is solved by restarting your computer, or shutting down other programs.

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

A new build is available from the first post in this thread, promising hardware supported graphics acceleration.

Best,
Cat_7
bigbro
Student Driver

Post by bigbro »

Hello,
I'm on W10 running SS's latest build.
I've been experiencing many crashes for the last few weeks.
Usually SS opens, Mac OS 9.0.4 loads but it freezes after displaying the desktop. Sometimes the app simply closes without any error message, sometimes it freezes and I have to force quit it.
I tried switching to another ROM. Some ROMS seem to be more stable than others but I cannot replicate the functionality I had until a few weeks ago - some apps won't open even when SS doesn't crash or freeze. Is there some kind of "ultimate" ROM which results in superior compatibility and stability?
I haven't changed anything to my setup. The last 2 versions of SS didn't change anything. Well, a few weeks ago, I did try to install The Sims 1 within SS and it installed some ATI graphics extensions I now deactivated. Could that be it? Could I have forgotten some other new extensions?
I am aware that I am not giving much information about my setup, prefs, ... What would be most relevant to try to pin down the problem?
Thanks in advance,
bigb
bigbro
Student Driver

Post by bigbro »

FYI, it seems I solved this crash issue by deactivating QuickDraw3D, RAVE, IR & Viewer in the Extensions Manager - noted as part of the OpenGL 1.1.2 package.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Thanks for sharing that info.
I installed a fresh Mac OS 9.0.4 and the Simms 1 to reproduce but could not yet find an issue.

Best,
Cat_7
bigbro
Student Driver

Post by bigbro »

Hello,
I had also installed The Sims Livin' Large, in case it can make a difference in terms of replication of the crash.
BTW, I never got the game to run on the few instances when SS didn't crash. No combination of no-CD patch and mounted image did the trick. I seem to remember it was the same on my long-dead Bondi Blue iMac under 8.5/8.6 : I had to burn a physical disk after I damaged my CD.
I'm now running The Sims 1 under XP on a VMware virtual machine.
Have a good day,
Bb
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

Apparently, there is no sound on new build of Sheepshaver (29-05-2021) with Power Mac 9500 ROM
Last edited by psh on Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.