Error message when trying to boot up an old game

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Uncharted95
Space Cadet

Error message when trying to boot up an old game

Post by Uncharted95 »

So I got Sheepshaver and installed Mac OS 9 on my M2 Macbook air. I've been trying to boot up an old game from my childhood but I've been getting 3 different types of error messages when I attempt to do so. I've been trying to do a software update but I get the message that there are no updates available! Any help?

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Error message when trying to boot up an old game

Post by adespoton »

Those messages suggest that the boot disk you're using isn't a full install of the retail Mac OS 9.0.4 -- it's missing CarbonLib and InterfaceLib -- which will be in the System Folder of a full install of Mac OS 9.

If you did something like copy and boot from the Mac OS 9 at RedundantRobot, you'd run into this exact situation, as that's just enough to get SS to boot, not to actually run software.

Did you follow the instructions on the Wiki for setting up SheepShaver?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Error message when trying to boot up an old game

Post by Cat_7 »

The system requirements here: https://macintoshgarden.org/games/harry ... of-secrets
suggest you need at least Mac OS 9.1 to run the game. SheepShaver does not support that version.
They also say you need accelerated graphics to run. Neither SheepShaver nor Qemu will provide that.

Best,
Cat_7