Problems with 21 July UB for Mac

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

danco
Inquisitive Elf

Problems with 21 July UB for Mac

Post by danco »

I upgraded my SheepShaver to this latest build, and ran into a couple of problems.

1. I tried to create a new disk. It seemed to create ok - it went very fast, which may mean it was not working properly, but the entry did appear in Volumes. But when I then ran SheepShaver, it just crashed on me.

Problem solved by creating a .dmg file in Disk Utility and adding that to the Volumes list.

2. I wanted to install OS 9.0.4 (I previously had 8.6). I inserted the CD under OS 10.5.4, and then started SheepShaver. The result was that SheepShaver crashed (I have a copy of the log if needed). I later checked with some other CDs and got the same crash.

Problem solved by re-downloading the old version, and installing using that, as the CD was recognised.

3. Even the old version did not recognise a CD Audio disk, but perhaps this is standard behaviour.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

On my machines, Intel iMac with 10.5.4 and PowerBook G4 with 10.4.11, both creating a new disk image and mounting a CD-ROM work fine.

Which MacOSX version do you use on what kind of Mac?

(SheepShaver will indeed only recognize CD-ROMs, no other kind of CDs.)
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

I use 10.5.4 on an Intel iMac. Here's part of the crash log.

Process: SheepShaver [15227]
Path: /Users/danco/SheepShaver-2.3/SheepShaver(S) UB 21-07-2008.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver
Identifier: SheepShaver
Version: ??? (2.3)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [268]

Date/Time: 2008-08-23 14:53:34.633 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x91349b9e __kill + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x913c0ec2 raise + 26
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x913d047f abort + 73
3 SheepShaver 0x780877a2 catch_exception_raise + 131918

Probably something else is interfering with it. The problems were consistent. I tried a couple of CD-ROMs, both worked in the old SheepShaver and crashed the new one.

And all my attempts to create a new disk gave something that appeared as a file in OS X but were not visible in SheepShaver.

Using Disk Utility to create a dmg worked. But when I tried to install an OS, I got the message "problems were encountered on the disk, but they were corrected" followed by what appeared to be a correct installation. However, something was wrong with the installations, as it was impossible to boot from the disk - when I removed the disk with the other OS, I just got the flashing ?.

Problem ultimately solved by making a duplicate of a working dsk file and installing on that.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Disk images create in disk utility in Intel Macs are not bootable...(If i remember correctly from Ronald P. Regensburgs attempts)

You should create an image with the GUI, those can be used to install mac os on, and will be bootable.

You used the stand-alone GUI or the build-in one?

Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Try using the two scripts that are included in the latest build download ('Delete Prefs File' and 'Zap PRAM') and start again, following the included manual. Do not use image files created by Disk Utility.
danco
Inquisitive Elf

Post by danco »

Well, I have what I want now, by another method, but will remember these suggestions in case they are needed later.

I guess I got caught by Disk Utility's images not being bootable.

Both with the stand-alone GUI and the built-in one of the new version, the image appeared to be created but it did not show up in Mac OS under SheepShaver. As I said, at the end of the Create process the image appeared in the list of volumes, and it could be seen under OS X. But the process went so fast that I don't believe it was working properly, my recollection is that it should have taken a noticeable amount of time.