Open Music System, any luck?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

KristianB
Space Cadet

Open Music System, any luck?

Post by KristianB »

Hi!

I've tried to install Open Music System (OMS 2.3.8 ). It does install, but then always crashes during setup (Sheepshaver quits).

I saw the thread at
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5657
but I just need OMS "inside" the system. I'm not sure if OMS actually requires a physical serial port to work.

I'm on a Macbook Pro, 10.5.8.
I used Ronald P. Regensburg's builds on
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5275
which works very well (Thank you!).
I installed MacOS 8.5 from an install CD.

So everything is fine apart from the fact that I can't get OMS to work.

Has anyone had any luck with OMS in Sheepshaver?
RichardG
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichardG »

Can't be reproduced on OS 8.1, 17-09-2008, Old World ROM. It installs fine, crash before starting Finder on first reboot, second goes fine. Opens fine and nearly freezes on quit (AppleTalk re-enabling?)
KristianB
Space Cadet

Post by KristianB »

Sounds promising :)

Maybe I should try with an earlier Mac OS version. I think I might have a bunch of 7.5 floppys lying around somewhere. In the garage? On the attic...?

On my current configuration I can open OMS; I'm presented with a dialog (Turn on Apple talk, switch it off...) but whatever I chose SheepShaver quits.

I can open the separate AppleTalk configuration utility (don't know the English name, sorry) and activate AppleTalk. There I can chose different ports (though Ethernet is the only physical port I have). The utility closes nicely, but when I open it again, AppleTalk is not active.

Well, I'll try to find that key to the attic... The next problem will then be to find a Mac with a floppy drive... :?

Well, well :)
KristianB
Space Cadet

Post by KristianB »

I don't seem to be able to make this work... :(

I installed 7.5.3 (which is freely available from Apple). Installation went fine, but SheepShaver quits while booting 7.5.3, even with an old world rom. Tried to update to 7.5.5 but the installer can only update the boot system (can't switch between differents disks) so I'm stuck there.

Tried OS 9.0 which works fine apart from the fact that OMS causes SheepShaver to quit...

I wonder if 8.1 is the magic solution or if something else is wrong in my setup?

I've also tried everything I've mentioned on my MDD 2x1.25 with Tiger, and the behaviour is exactly the same.

Any suggestions?
RichardG
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichardG »

Search for "Apple Legacy CD" or "Apple Legacy Recovery". On this CD you'll find 1.0 to 8.1.

It may be a build-to-build problem (happens a lot). So far I can only test on that Windows build I mentioned.
KristianB
Space Cadet

Post by KristianB »

Well it doesn't work with 8.1 either (for me). Thank's anyway for trying! :)

I wonder what you mean by "build-to-build problem".
RichardG
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichardG »

Example: The SheepShaver build X would crash when working on some kind of software, but not build Y.
KristianB
Space Cadet

Post by KristianB »

I see.

dnigrin
Space Cadet

Post by dnigrin »

Reviving old thread - I too am eager to find a way to get OMS working in Sheepshaver. I don't need to connect to the "outside world", just need OMS working internally, so applications that are reliant on it can start up...

Anyone with success to report?? Thanks....
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I just installed OMS in SheepShaver with Mac OS 9 in Windows. Install went just fine and the application seems to run. The control panel also works.
If I choose the modem/printer ports to point to real devices (e.g. com1 and lpt1) in the SheepShaver GUI, then searching for Midi devices in the OMS setup crashes. If I set them to FILE, then OMS keeps running, but also can't find devices.

Of course I don't know what it's supposed to do. It doesn't find midi devices, and perhaps that limits its functionality also for other applications?

Best,
Cat_7
dnigrin
Space Cadet

Post by dnigrin »

Thanks for the reply - yes, that's the problem. I've not followed recent Sheepshaver development closely -- is there a way to reroute serial port connections (e.g. modem and/or printer) to USB ones instead? But even lacking this, it seems that the IAC virtual MIDI ports don't function properly with other applications... This should be independent of whether or not it finds any external MIDI devices...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

On OSX as host, there has been some (limited?) succes in getting SheepShaver to communicate through a USB/serial adapter.

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... ve+receive

Best,
Cat_7
dnigrin
Space Cadet

Post by dnigrin »

Thanks, that may be helpful...
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

dnigrin wrote:Reviving old thread - I too am eager to find a way to get OMS working in Sheepshaver. I don't need to connect to the "outside world", just need OMS working internally, so applications that are reliant on it can start up...

Anyone with success to report?? Thanks....
As far as I know Pro Tools 5 would be the main app that requires it. If you need it for something else my next bit of advice isn't relevant, however ---

Pro Tools 5/Free, even with OMS installed (OMS does not need to be configured for it to launch, just needs to be installed) will return a DAE error in the current Sheepshaver build. This is the same error it returns in Classic as well. The hardware must boot OS 9 for the soundcard to configure with Pro Tools on system startup on an actual machine.

I don't know what your project is, and I don't want to shoot it down prematurely, but I would just say this: currently I would not recommend audio work within Sheepshaver. Even something that you can get to function, such as SonicWorx, returns extremely choppy playback despite any attempts at expanding its memory allocations (either to the virtual machine in SS, or RAM mapped within the emulated OS).
dnigrin
Space Cadet

Post by dnigrin »

Thanks for the response - my hope is to get sysex strings out of an application that controlled a hardware MIDI device. I don't plan to use the app to actually control the device, I just want to be able to route the application's output (via a software-based IAC port) to a MIDI monitor app, which in turn would let me read the sysex info.

Although I can get OMS up and running, and can see its IAC ports, the application does not seem to be working right - I think it needs to see a "real" device within OMS to function properly.