Fontographer crashes in Sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

cdorje
Student Driver

Fontographer crashes in Sheepshaver

Post by cdorje »

Fontographer is one of those great classic Apps I'd like to keep running so I can maintain some old fonts I created. I can launch the app (last version v4.1.5) in Sheepshaver running os 9.0.4 but when I try to open a font file, it crashes. It seems to happen around the time it usually makes a funny sound to indicate that the font file is open. Has anyone been able to get Fontographer running in SheepShaver? Any clues or tips that might help solve the problem?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not know Fontographer. Is it software that needs additional files? Could files be missing? Was Fontographer installed properly in SheepShaver?
cdorje
Student Driver

Post by cdorje »

I have an identical installation of Fontographer installed in classic on my PM G5 running Tiger. Generally, it can be installed by dragging the folder. I just ran it in Classic and contrary to my prior statement, there is no sound on opening a font. Sounds come while editing. It crashes just as it's about to display a window with a table of glyphs for the font. I've added plenty of memory to the allocation in the Get Info window. Can't think of anything else to try.
umax
Inquisitive Elf

Post by umax »

i have used fontographer 4.15 on my sheepshaver os9.04 and i had no problems editing glyphs... that was a few months ago. i just tried again, and it crashed.
i am pretty shure that some extension (or the absence of an extension) or control panel is the reason for that.
i will check things later, maybe tomorrow and post the results.

btw. fontlab 4.6 does run on my current configuration, no problems.
jimjordan
Space Cadet

Post by jimjordan »

You might look at a more modern font editor to run on your host system (such as the free FontForge - available for most all platforms).
IanB
Space Cadet

Post by IanB »

When installing Fontographer, choose the Custom Install and select the version without FPU support. Thanks to a contributor on TidBits for this tip.

Fontographer works better in Sheepshaver than in OS 10.4 Classic. Under Classic, the Bezier handles were difficult to move, but in Sheepshaver, Fontographer works as it did on my old Mac.