LucasArts

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

almeath
Mac Mechanic

LucasArts

Post by almeath »

Has anyone found a way to get the Mac versions of LucasArts games working properly in SheepShaver, without the slow downs and stuttering sound?

This issue has been with SheepShaver for years now, but perhaps someone might have ideas as to the underlying cause?

It affects everything from the early adventures like Loom and Monkey Island, all the way up to Dark Forces and The Dig etc.

Some games are only partially affected. i.e. in Dark Forces only the cut scenes experience the stuttering. In Monkey Island 2 you can hear the intro music go completely out of sync. In The Dig everything is sluggish and all the voices overs are constantly stuttering.

I don't think this an issue with resources on the host system, as I use a 3.5ghz i7, 32GB ram.

I am hopeful this issue could be identified and fixed, now that SheepShaver is getting some much needed patches and improvements.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: LucasArts

Post by adespoton »

You’re probably better off running those games in ScummVM on the host system. SheepShaver emulation isn’t being improved for the most part, just host system integration; this may fix some audio issues, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Yes, that for the most part seems a better solution. The only exception is Dark Forces, which was far superior on the Mac compared to the DOS equivalent and which did not use the Scumm engine.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yeah; I run Dark Forces on actual hardware. I haven't figured out how to make it truly playable under emulation.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The Qemu screamer build with Mac OS 9.2 runs it. Use the recent VGA driver that supports 256 colours.
Don't know whether the mouse is OK, though.

Best,
Cat_7
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Cat_7 wrote:The Qemu screamer build with Mac OS 9.2 runs it. Use the recent VGA driver that supports 256 colours.
Don't know whether the mouse is OK, though.

Best,
Cat_7
Thanks, I have been keeping an eye on Qemu and it looks promising - just a bit of a learning curve compared to SheepShaver.