Official Apple Download for Quicktime 4.1.2

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Panglozz
Space Cadet

Official Apple Download for Quicktime 4.1.2

Post by Panglozz »

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120082

Apple offers a freely downloadable installer for Quicktime 4.1.2

This version works with OS 9.0.4, and avoids Library errors when using Acrobat and some other software> I noticed these errors when I tried to run off the OS9 system installed by the Redundant Robot version of QT 4.0 as found on their packaaged OS9.dmg on the web.

Redundant Robot should update their DMG package to be more compatible, but since the legality of the download is undetermined. The issue may be a self-limiting corrective to wide adoption.

The installer runs from a shared Unix directory just fine

The simplest update may be this sequence:
1. Download on the OSX side
2. Mount the ".bin" image using Disk Utility to create a virtual disk (unreadable directly from the OS9 side)
3. copy the installer script and tome package to your shared Unix directory/folder.
4. Update the user-space QT in the OS 9 system by running the installer with the"Minimum" option from the Unix directory in the OS9 desktop. Other options would work, but I believe require activation codes (haven't checked).

5. Smart money will create an initialized, readable .dmg and copy the corrected system folder to it as a strategic backup.