Bit of help with Sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mattiasekstrom
Space Cadet

Bit of help with Sheepshaver

Post by mattiasekstrom »

Hi,

Well about a year back i had the older version of sheepshaver with mac OS 9 running at the highest amount of ram available, 1024.

Now i had to wipe my hard drive as my windows XP computer broke and have had to do it all again :\
I currently have SS w/ OS9 running again but only at 16mb of ram! if I try anymore and it says:

Cannot map RAM: Bad file descriptor.

What can I do?

Thanks,
Mat.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, and a warm welcome to the european north! (your name suggests your scandinavian?)

I've seen more reports for this error lately. I don't know how to fix it. :(
What operating system are you running exactly?

I can give you some suggestions, in the form of questions:
-Do you have the Cd-rom driver installed? (try to run without it)
-Do you have networking enabled? (try to disable it)
-What folder have you installed SheepShaver in? (try to install in some folder outside your user folder, or some other partition, perhaps a USB drive)
-Can you tell me what the exact user rights on the folder you have SheepShaver installed in are?
-Do you run SheepShaver as administrator? (try running as admin, try running in some compatibility mode)
-What version of SDL.dll are you running? (try some different ones)

What other programs have you got running? I saw some reports about running Windows search 4 being a problem. Someone reported uninstalling some game solved the problem.

Best,
Cat_7
mattiasekstrom
Space Cadet

Post by mattiasekstrom »

Thank you for the very quick response ( and yes i am swedish, but born and live in UK so im actually British)

System:
Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Do you have the Cd-rom driver installed? (try to run without it) [ ✔ ] Tried this with no luck
-Do you have networking enabled? (try to disable it) [ ✔ ] Tried this with no luck
-What folder have you installed SheepShaver in? (try to install in some folder outside your user folder, or some other partition, perhaps a USB drive) [ ✔ ] Tried it on a USB and in Program Files
-Can you tell me what the exact user rights on the folder you have SheepShaver installed in are? [ ? ] I dont know who to find out.
-Do you run SheepShaver as administrator? (try running as admin, try running in some compatibility mode) [ ✔ ] Tried this with no luck
-What version of SDL.dll are you running? (try some different ones) [ ✔ ] Tried version 1.2.4.0 & 1.2.14.0 but couldn't really find any others (except 1.2.5.0 but no download)

also tried uninstalling a few different programs that might have been stopping this.
and stopped a few unnecessary .exe's in task manager.

It's all quite odd. :?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, it's funny... Somehow SheepShaver/SDL is not able to reserve a larger memory block for itself.

Perhaps you can try some different start-up screen resoltions?
I just remembered you said you had a perfect setup last year. That means you were not running our latest SheepShaver build. Are you running it now? Perhaps reverting to an older version will solve the problem.

Best,
Cat_7
mattiasekstrom
Space Cadet

Post by mattiasekstrom »

For some unknown reason my OS9.img has decided to die on me but I'm not too bothered at the moment about this.

I have been emulating OS 7.5.5 (looking to set up OS8 soon)
with 16MB of ram with makes it run fine, also obtained SDL.dll 1.2.13.0 from the BasiliskII folder which appears to make things run with less crashes and more stability, It could be just me.

screen resolutions make no difference sadly and I've tried most builds available of SS. (using 2010 build now)

I will keeping checking things until I find something and I will keep the forums informed.