Local Network Access?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

William
Student Driver

Local Network Access?

Post by William »

To the hardworking and knowledgable SS crew-

This is probably just my own ignorance, but I can't set up access to my network fileserver from SS 2.3.20091025. (Unix folder works just fine.) I searched the forums but didn't find anything relating to this issue.

Guest: Mac OS 9.04
Host: Mac OS 10.6.2
Network: wireless
Server: 10.3.9 (Panther Server)

I have TCP/IP set up with DHCP Server - and I'm posting this from inside the Mac OS 9 guest. Hopefully I have missed something obvious...

Thanks,

William
Mike_
Student Driver

Post by Mike_ »

AppleTalk doesn't work (at least not without using a bag of tricks), but here's how I reach other Macs on my local network:

In OS9 in SS go to the File Sharing control panel and check the boxes that say something like "use TCP/IP to connect".
Now, in the chooser, select AppleShare. Most likely, you won't see any other Mac, but there's a button "Server IP-Address".
Click that and type in the address of the Mac you want to connect to.
That way, I'm able to connect to all my Macs, some even (still) running OS9, others (most) running Tiger or Leopard.
Btw., once you have a distant volume mounted, you can create an alias of it. Double-clicking that one later (after restarting SS) will give you fast and easy access to the volume(s) in question.
William
Student Driver

Post by William »

Mike-

Thanks! I can get it to work by looging in via the Chooser, and read/write. It can be somewhat slow, and I've had one crash. Other observations:

The alias method doesn't work - it spins for about 2 minutes and then it can't find the volume on the network.

The option to mount the volume at startup (checkbox in the mount volume dialog) causes the find to hang for about 2 minutes, and then not mount the volume.

If I check "use 802.3" in TCP/IP control panel, SS crashes when I dismiss the dialog. On restart, the option is unchecked.

Cheers,

Sean