Cannot Change Macintosh HD Icon to Modern os9 icon

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

smaxx2010
Space Cadet

Cannot Change Macintosh HD Icon to Modern os9 icon

Post by smaxx2010 »

I cannot change the boring flat rectangle Macintosh HD icon to the new MacOS 9 graphical HD icon. I have the icon file that I downloaded from the web and people have said this can be easily pasted over the old icon inside of the OS 9 desktop to change it. I don't know how to do this. I have tried pasting the icon file but it just puts the whole file in the root directory of the hdd but does not change the icon. Can somebody tell me how to do this? I really don't like the old flat Macintosh HD icon, it drives me nuts. Thanks in advance. I am running a July 2009 Build of SheepShaver on a C2D 2.4GHz, with MacOS X 10.6.4 (host) and OS 9.0.4 (Guest in SheepShaver). Thanks in advance. Please note: I have even tried to do this with the Windows version of sheepshaver but neither version makes any difference.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Forgetting about the SoftMac stuff in the post, does this help:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6336

It's just the process for changing the look of an icon.
smaxx2010
Space Cadet

Post by smaxx2010 »

No I am afraid the SoftMac method doesn't work with SheepShaver. When I copy the file "Mac OS 9 HD Icon" to the icon area on the Macintosh HD Get Info, the Paste option is greyed out so it doesn't even let me.
smaxx2010
Space Cadet

Post by smaxx2010 »

The original page that told me about changing icons to the special OS 9 icon wasn't very helpful as it didn't tell me how the SheepShaver user was able to get their hd icon changed. The Link is below. I wanted to see how others got their hd icons changed and how they did it.

Original Link:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5296

Thanks.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Yes... mine is grayed out also. I don't know how to change it. I hope someone can offer a suggestion.
smaxx2010
Space Cadet

Post by smaxx2010 »

Wow!!! I finally got it to work...Fooling around and I got it to work and can't believe I didn't figure it out earlier.

The Trick is this:

-Do a Get Info operation on the icon file itself
-Click on the icon in the upper left corner of the get info dialog
-Go to the menu Edit
-Once edit is selected then click Copy
-Close the get info for the icon file
-go to the get info operation of the Macintosh HD desktop item
-click the icon in the upper left corner of the get info dialog
-do the same edit menu click but select paste this time instead of copy
-Et Voila! The Macintosh HD Icon is changed.

I couldn't find an detailed explanation for this in any postings I searched for via Google and I was lucky through trial and error to discover this so I am leaving this here in this thread for others to use because I am sure that many people would want to get rid of that flat icon and replace it with the proper OS 9 HD icon. The link to get the newer OS 9 HD icon is also the same as I posted before in a prior posting to this thread.

The link once again is:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5296
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

smaxx2010 wrote:The Trick is this:
Well, yes, that is how copy and paste of icons has always been done in MacOS and how it is still done in MacOSX. It never occurred to me that it needed additional explanation. Good you found out and posted the procedure here.
boyanml
Inquisitive Elf

Post by boyanml »

ClockWise wrote:Yes... mine is grayed out also. I don't know how to change it. I hope someone can offer a suggestion.
I found (maybe) a solution. The problem occurs when the Windows clipboard is not empty. Deleting the content of windows clipboard (with Clipboard viewer for example) solved the problem, at least for me.
hth
peter_j
Tinkerer

Re: Cannot Change Macintosh HD Icon to Modern os9 icon

Post by peter_j »

Thanks for the Windows clipboard tip - it was getting infernally frustrating.