CarbonLib Cannot Be Found?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Broski270
Student Driver

CarbonLib Cannot Be Found?

Post by Broski270 »

I am trying to run a game called Reckless Drivin in Mac OS 8.1. The game requires CarbonLib to run. I have installed CarbonLib 1.0.4 and yet the game is still saying that it cannot find CarbonLib. What is going on? Do I have to put the game in a certain folder or something? It is sitting in a folder on the desktop. Here is a picture of the error:
Any help? Its been over 10 years since I used Mac OS and I don't remember anything. This is mostly new to me.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: CarbonLib Cannot Be Found?

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Did you copy the game from your "My Computer" drive to the desktop? If so, you need to move it to the Mac OS 8 disk you also have on the desktop. You shouldn't run any programs that you copied from My Computer to the desktop. Any files copied this way are not really on the MacOS8 disk and might cause problems.

There is a Carbonlib update available on Apple's site. Please try to install that.

Best,
Cat_7
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I only had a very short look at the help part of the game, but it runs fine with SheepShaver OS8.6 OldWorld ROM (or Rosetta) on my 10.6.8 AMD box.
Your mileage may vary of course and I dont have a 8.1 volume ready for testing.
The error you posted, is most likely due to old or missing software, as I can reproduce it with OS7.6.
Quitting game gave me a disk related error and made my 8.6 volume unbootable, so beware!
Broski270
Student Driver

Post by Broski270 »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Did you copy the game from your "My Computer" drive to the desktop? If so, you need to move it to the Mac OS 8 disk you also have on the desktop. You shouldn't run any programs that you copied from My Computer to the desktop. Any files copied this way are not really on the MacOS8 disk and might cause problems.

There is a Carbonlib update available on Apple's site. Please try to install that.

Best,
Cat_7
I copied the Reckless Drivin folder to the macos8 disk and it is still giving me the error. I tried installing the CarbonLib update (1.6) but it is telling me that it needs OS 8.6 or higher installed. I'm downloading the official 8.6 upgrade. Will it work on the Old World ROM I'm using?
24bit wrote:I only had a very short look at the help part of the game, but it runs fine with SheepShaver OS8.6 OldWorld ROM (or Rosetta) on my 10.6.8 AMD box.
Your mileage may vary of course and I dont have a 8.1 volume ready for testing.
The error you posted, is most likely due to old or missing software, as I can reproduce it with OS7.6.
Quitting game gave me a disk related error and made my 8.6 volume unbootable, so beware!
What do you mean by unbootable?

EDIT: Got hold of an 8.5 disc. I'm going to use that so that I can update to 8.6. This unbootable thing is concerning me. Can that be avoided using task manager to close SheepShaver?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Dont know if the disk error is game related.
Just keep a second copy of your SS volume as backup.
The volume was said to be fine by DiskFirstAid in SS but still unbootable for SS.
Maybe its merely coincidence - you should always have a backup, just in case.
Broski270
Student Driver

Post by Broski270 »

24bit wrote:Dont know if the disk error is game related.
Just keep a second copy of your SS volume as backup.
The volume was said to be fine by DiskFirstAid in SS but still unbootable for SS.
Maybe its merely coincidence - you should always have a backup, just in case.
Alright. I think I'm gonna have a backup and I'm gonna test out the Task Manager method. Thanks for the help! How's the frame rate in game by the way?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The frame rate seems to equal for my eyes with Rosetta or SS on my box.
If you have a chance to run the game on 10.6.8 or lower, I would recomend that.
The disk error with SS did strike again, when quitting Reckless.

Windows boxes are somewhat slower, emulating SS unfortunately.
The Shaver will use only one core afaik.
You can try this, as emulator is up and runing: http://main.system7today.com/software/minibench2.html
A score round about 200 should let the game run fluently.
Best wishes!
Last edited by 24bit on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Broski270
Student Driver

Post by Broski270 »

I got a score of around 67 on OS 8.1. I hope it still works smoothly on OS 8.6 for me.
Broski270
Student Driver

Post by Broski270 »

SUCCESS!! :mrgreen: Today I have accomplished what has taken me 4 years to figure out. I got my favorite childhood game up and running today! I owe a huge thanks to Cat_7 and 24bit

24bit, I also discovered that using Task Manager to kill SheepShaver in Windows will spare the hard drive, so I have no worries I just have to reboot everytime I want to play a different Mac game, but that will probably be very rare for me! Even though the benchmark said 67, it is still running very smooth. Not a single lag!

I am using Mac OS 8.6 and I installed the CarbonLib 1.6 update. I guess the game needs the latest version of CarbonLib. With all this, the 1.4.4 version of the game runs perfectly fine!

Again, thank you guys so so much!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Wow four years - why didnt you look here earlier? :-)
Glad to hear you made it and frame rate is not an issue!
What type of computer are you using as SS host?
If you have plenty of disk space, you can duplicate your SS volume,
give it a different name, and install your other games on the duplicate.

Killing the SS task equals a Mac System crash e.g. from power loss.
This will impair your SS "harddisk" sooner or later too.
Be sure to run HDD maintainance utilities and store a backup to be prepared.
Broski270
Student Driver

Post by Broski270 »

24bit wrote:Wow four years - why didnt you look here earlier? :-)
Glad to hear you made it and frame rate is not an issue!
What type of computer are you using as SS host?
If you have plenty of disk space, you can duplicate your SS volume,
give it a different name, and install your other games on the duplicate.

Killing the SS task equals a Mac System crash e.g. from power loss.
This will impair your SS "harddisk" sooner or later too.
Be sure to run HDD maintainance utilities and store a backup to be prepared.
Luckily I made a back-up cause one did go corrupt. I have plenty of room for backups since I have a 1TB Hard Drive But anyways for the host I'm on a Windows 7 computer with 2gb of ram and a dual core 1.6ghz processor. And the reason I didn't look here 4 years ago was cause this site did not come up on Google under "Mac Emulators" for some reason. I just discovered this site accidentally a few days ago.