Problems

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

VerizonLover
Student Driver

Problems

Post by VerizonLover »

Whenever I try to run Norton Disk Doctor form the SystemWorks 1.0 package, it just crashes. As in SheepShaver won't respond to anything. I have to use task manager to force close it. :(

Also, disk i/o is slow as molasses. And by 'slow', I mean s.....l.....o.....w. To the point where it acts like it's not responding.

And when a mac app is doing very heavy disk i/o, I can't use any other app.

What can I do about those issues?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Hello,
what do you want to achieve with Norton Utilities?
I have tried NU5 and found that SpeedDisk and NortonInfo are working. DiskDoctor cashes, but you can have Disk First Aid, don't you?
I think that the utilities were meant for real physical disks, rather than hardfiles, which we are most often using.
May be you would like to try SUM, Hard Disk Toolkit and Conflict Catcher as well, depending on your goals.
I have to admit, I didn't, so far.

Be sure to backup your files or duplicate your hardfiles anyway.

Greetings!
VerizonLover
Student Driver

Post by VerizonLover »

24bit wrote:Hello,
what do you want to achieve with Norton Utilities?
I have tried NU5 and found that SpeedDisk and NortonInfo are working. DiskDoctor cashes, but you can have Disk First Aid, don't you?
I think that the utilities were meant for real physical disks, rather than hardfiles, which we are most often using.
May be you would like to try SUM, Hard Disk Toolkit and Conflict Catcher as well, depending on your goals.
I have to admit, I didn't, so far.

Be sure to backup your files or duplicate your hardfiles anyway.

Greetings!
To fix hardfile corruption and other problems. SheepShaver crashes every once and a while, after all...
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

Verizon, which of the following situations did you mean?

*the emulated Mac OS and the mounted hard disk image is slow?
or
*the host Windows OS and the real hard disk is slow; only while emulating the Mac OS?
or
*the host Windows OS is just slow to begin with?
or
*the host Windows OS is responsive, even while the emulated Mac OS is slow?

If #1, then couldn't you just make a new hard disk image on which to do a new installation of the Mac OS?
If #2, then maybe your C: drive (or wherever the Sheepshaver directory is installed) is in need of a good defragging... just run the Windows defrag utility and see if that doesn't help things.
If #3, what are your 'real' hardware specs (available RAM, processor speed, hard disk space)
If #4, then, the problem is likely a problem with Norton. Perhaps you might need to dig and get your hands on any official updates or patches that may be available for it? Perhaps SystemWorks version 1.0.3? Where you might find such archived updates is beyond me.... sorry.
VerizonLover
Student Driver

Post by VerizonLover »

kikkoman wrote:Verizon, which of the following situations did you mean?

*the emulated Mac OS and the mounted hard disk image is slow?
or
*the host Windows OS and the real hard disk is slow; only while emulating the Mac OS?
or
*the host Windows OS is just slow to begin with?
or
*the host Windows OS is responsive, even while the emulated Mac OS is slow?

If #1, then couldn't you just make a new hard disk image on which to do a new installation of the Mac OS?
If #2, then maybe your C: drive (or wherever the Sheepshaver directory is installed) is in need of a good defragging... just run the Windows defrag utility and see if that doesn't help things.
If #3, what are your 'real' hardware specs (available RAM, processor speed, hard disk space)
If #4, then, the problem is likely a problem with Norton. Perhaps you might need to dig and get your hands on any official updates or patches that may be available for it? Perhaps SystemWorks version 1.0.3? Where you might find such archived updates is beyond me.... sorry.
Problem solved by increasing disk cache in memory control panel. ;)