Implement a force-quit feature for Sheepshaver?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

yksoft1
Master Emulator

Implement a force-quit feature for Sheepshaver?

Post by yksoft1 »

Currently the close window button of Sheepshaver window is mapped to Mac "Power" key. When the emulated Mac hang (not Sheepshaver itself), the only way to exit SS is to terminate its process. I wonder that how could the close window button just quit SS.
By the way, my MinGW/MSYS toolchain could not run "make links" step required for building SS because of the incomplete implementation of ln command. Hope that someone familiar with Makefiles implement a new target to copy the required BasiliskII files to Sheepshaver directory instead of making links of them.
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

I was just wondering about a Force-quit feature myself. Because when I'm in the emulated Mac OS, pressing the CMD+OPT+ESC (on my keyboard, it's ALT+WinKey+ESC) never actually brought up the old force-quit box. Instead, it "tabbed-out" into the host OS... in my case, Windows Vista.
kelvin31415
Tinkerer

Post by kelvin31415 »

Control-Escape is an "emergency quit".
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Yea, thats true. I think Kikkoman was looking for a possibility to kill a hanging process, like it is done on real Macs running
Classic OS. This procedure was not very successful though, as classic had no real memory protection scheme implemented.
A hanging app most often would pull down the complete system, with no chance to save your work and even corrupting
the catalog-B tree of your hard disk.
So probably Apple was right to switch to the Unix kernel, but I wish there would have been another way to have memory protection
and preemptive multitasking.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

24bit wrote:Yea, thats true. I think Kikkoman was looking for a possibility to kill a hanging process, like it is done on real Macs running Classic OS. This procedure was not very successful though, as classic had no real memory protection scheme implemented.
A hanging app most often would pull down the complete system, with no chance to save your work and even corrupting
the catalog-B tree of your hard disk.
Even when one succeeded in force quitting a separate hanging application and keeping the system and other applications running, it was advised to restart the machine anyway and check file system integrity. Only since MacOSX one can force quit an application and be confident that everything else is unaffected.
kelvin31415
Tinkerer

Post by kelvin31415 »

24bit wrote:
Yea, thats true. I think Kikkoman was looking for a possibility to kill a hanging process, like it is done on real Macs running Classic OS.
Agreed, but my comment was intended for yksoft1. I don't think the two of them are talking about the same thing.