problem installing onto hard drive in sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

firefist
Student Driver

problem installing onto hard drive in sheepshaver

Post by firefist »

Okay.

I installed sheepshaver, seems to be running well.

However when I try to install Baldur's Gate 1 it goes through the process for some time and then, just before it is done, it tells me (with 28 items left to go) that my hard drive is locked, and it cannot complete the install.

I tried increasing the size of the HD by going back in and creating a new volume, no good. I made sure when it was initialized it was "extended" instead of "standard" as well.

Any ideas from anyone?
firefist
Student Driver

Post by firefist »

Also, I checked, and under "get info" I find no check box for the lock.

Running OS 8.1, BTW.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Please provide more information.

You are running MacOS 8.1 from one volume and installing the game on another volume? The game may need to install files in the System Folder, so both volumes should be writeable, the corresponding image files in MacOSX should not be locked.

How do you install the game? Directly from a CD?
firefist
Student Driver

Post by firefist »

I am installing directly from a disk.

I am running 8.1 on one volume, and installing to another volume.

I will try unlocking the OSX version of 8.1 later today and see if that will make a difference.

Thanks.
firefist
Student Driver

Post by firefist »

Thanks for the advice. I figured out how to get it to work. Then I installed Baldurs Gate.

Now, unfortunately it makes sheepshaver crash a few seconds after I open the game.

I am trying to figure out how to run it in 32 bit mode in hopes that will help. Unfortunately I cannot figure out what this means "If you encounter problems while running SheepShaver in 64-bit mode, set SheepShaver to run in 32-bit mode using the checkbox in Finder Info on SheepShaver."

Are we talking about the "Get info" command? If so, what do I do it on, and do I do it in sheepshaver or in my OSX? Also, where is the box? When I use "get info" on sheepshaver in OSX there is no 32 bit box to check.

Sorry I have so many questions.... but I really have wanted to play this game again for a very long time.

Also, any other advice you can recommend to try to get it to work?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I don't want to discourage you in any way, but my system hangs just the same.
I am on Mandriva32bit, SheepShaver X Windows version, 4MB ROM, OS D8.6.
At Macintoshgarden it is said Baldurs Gate "May be troublesome in SheepShaver."
You might ask there, if anybody made it work with SS at all.
The game seems to run fine with an iMacG4 (PPC 7445), which has GeForce MX graphics.
SS works with an emulated PPC 604 and no such video chips.

Good luck!
firefist
Student Driver

Post by firefist »

24 bit: yeah, I have a suspicion you might be right. I'll check out Macintoshgarden and see. But by sometime tomorrow I'll probably give in and just buy an old mac. Sigh.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Those second hand G4's don't seem to be too expensive at ebay, as there are lots for sale.
If I needed one, I would buy one myself. Be sure to get one that will boot OS9.2.2.
Would it be of any help for you if I'd try Baldur with my iMacG3?
firefist
Student Driver

Post by firefist »

I have a line on a G3 for $50 with everything but a monitor (and he'll load 9.2.2 on there for me). It meets all the requirements the game lists (and more). So it is up to you whether you want to try it on your G3. The G3 should run it and even BGII when I get my hands on a copy.

Still kinda hoping one of the guys on here will come back with an awesome fix though.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I saw Baldur switching resolutions heavily, may be there is some hope.
The game even seems to install with a PPC 601. Just wait a little...

Edit: Baldur runs with a PPC 601 80MHz. The videos loose very much frames, but thats due to the slow CD ROM.
As my 7100/80 has no special graphic card, this can not be the point with SS.
My best guess: Baldur "dislikes" SheepShaver's CD ROM driver for some reason.
Game data are coming from CD on real hardware, so the game waits forever.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

firefist wrote:I am trying to figure out how to run it in 32 bit mode in hopes that will help. Unfortunately I cannot figure out what this means "If you encounter problems while running SheepShaver in 64-bit mode, set SheepShaver to run in 32-bit mode using the checkbox in Finder Info on SheepShaver."

Are we talking about the "Get info" command? If so, what do I do it on, and do I do it in sheepshaver or in my OSX? Also, where is the box? When I use "get info" on sheepshaver in OSX there is no 32 bit box to check.
My latest build (06-11-2010) will only run in 64-bit mode in Snow Leopard on fully 64-bit capable Intel machines. In earlier MacOSX versions and in Snow Leopard on some early Intel machines, SheepShaver will run in 32-bit mode and you will see no 32-bit checkbox in MacOSX Finder's Get Info dialog for the SheepShaver application.

As for the crashes:
- Did you make sure to check "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses" in Miscellaneous tab in SheepShaver preferences? (After making a change in preferences, you need to quit and launch again SheepShaver for the change to take effect.)
- You may need to set the screen resolution and color depth that the game needs manually.
lirwin
Space Cadet

32-Bit Checkbox

Post by lirwin »

So, if there is apparently no way of running Sheepshaver in 32-bit in Snow Leopard, does it follow that I will have to re-install an earlier version of Sheepshaver if I wish to copy and paste text from OS X?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: 32-Bit Checkbox

lirwin wrote:So, if there is apparently no way of running Sheepshaver in 32-bit in Snow Leopard, does it follow that I will have to re-install an earlier version of Sheepshaver if I wish to copy and paste text from OS X?
What makes you think that SheepShaver cannot run in 32-bit mode in Snow Leopard? On some early Intel Macs the 32-bit option is not available because those Macs are not 64-bit capable and SheepShaver will always run in 32-bit mode in Snow Leopard on those machines.

If you have issues with SheepShaver running in 64-bit mode, you can make it run in 32-bit mode by checking that option in Finder Info on SheepShaver. (As mentioned in the forum post with the Nov 6 2010 build download link, and in the ReadMe that is included in the download, and in the SheepShaver for MacOSX setup guide.)
lirwin
Space Cadet

Post by lirwin »

In an earlier post, you write: "In earlier MacOSX versions and in Snow Leopard on some early Intel machines, SheepShaver will run in 32-bit mode and you will see no 32-bit checkbox in MacOSX Finder's Get Info dialog for the SheepShaver application."

I do not see the checkbox.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

lirwin wrote:In an earlier post, you write: "In earlier MacOSX versions and in Snow Leopard on some early Intel machines, SheepShaver will run in 32-bit mode and you will see no 32-bit checkbox in MacOSX Finder's Get Info dialog for the SheepShaver application."

I do not see the checkbox.
Then either (1) you are running a Mac that doesn't support 64-bit mode in SheepShaver anyway or (2) you are not using the build listed at the very top of this thread:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6703
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

emendelson wrote:Then either (1) you are running a Mac that doesn't support 64-bit mode in SheepShaver anyway or (2) you are not using the build listed at the very top of this thread:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6703
... or (3) you are not running Snow Leopard,
or (4) you forced your Mac to boot into the 64-bit kernel (which makes running any 32-bit software impossible),
or (5) your Mac boots into the 64-bit kernel by default (do such Macs exits? Maybe the very newest models?) and you need to force it to boot into the 32-bit kernel to make running both 64-bit and 32-bit software possible.

Exactly which Mac model do you have? Do you run Snow Leopard on it? Which build of SheepShaver do you use?
lirwin
Space Cadet

Post by lirwin »

I had installed this on a three-year-old MacBook Pro (which I keep at a vacation home; I don't have the model number). After being unable to find the 32-bit checkbox, I decided to reinstall the older version of Sheepshaver -- and I appreciate the tip about using SimpleText to transfer text out of it. I have installed the newer version of Sheepshaver on my iMac8,1 at home, clicked the 32-bit checkbox, and it's working as described, among other things allowing me to transfer text from IE to ClarisWorks directly for the first time. (I had been using Tex-Edit as an intermediate step previously.)
bunass
Space Cadet

SheepShaver Now Not Working

Post by bunass »

Hi,

I installed SheepShaver and have it working on OS 10.6.7

I am attempting to install Digital Performer 3 after I have entered my name and key code of the software then I got the following message:

"Since items need to be added to the system file or
folder, an extra 27,566K of disk space is required to
install this software. Please free up more disk space
on the disk named OS9 and try the installation again."

I left the OS9.img file unlocked, which is 125.8 MB. I'm guessing I need to increase the OS9.img file an additional 30 MB? Assuming I am right, how do I do this (on a Mac)?

Help.....

Many thanks in advance

Terry
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, and welcome

Judging by the name of the disk image you are using I suspect you downloaded the working image from the redundant robot site. Am I correct? If so, you'll know that that image is only 120Mb big, barely holding a Mac OS 9 install. The image doesn't contain an optimal Mac OS install for SheepShaver and should be considered a "proof of concept" only to get SheepShaver running.
I assume installing your software requires more free disk space. You can check the free disk space available by selecting the disk icon and the go the file/get info menu.

You can do two things:
1, and this is the preferred method: get a cd image of a retail mac os 9.0.4 install disk (from e.g. the macintosh garden site) and install a clean Mac OS on a new and larger disk image of 500 of 1000Mb. Then install your software.
2, make a new, larger disk image of 500 of 1000Mb with the preferences editor and initialize it when SheepShaver starts. Then copy the complete content of your current OS9 hard disk to the new hard disk. Stop SheepShaver, remove the older disk from the volumes list and start from the new disk. That would give you ample disk space to install your software.

Best,
Cat_7
luxor
Space Cadet

Re: problem installing onto hard drive in sheepshaver

Post by luxor »

OP, how did you "unlock" your hard drive...I have the same issue with a program I am trying to install...install fails because either the file or the disk is "locked" but GET INFO on the file does not have the "locked" box checked.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The OP has not been here for nine months. You better give more information about what you are trying to do, so we may understand what the problem is.

What are you trying to install and how? Are you trying to run an installer application, or are you trying to unpack an archive, or are you trying to move or copy files? Where do installer or archive or files reside and to where do want to install? Details please.

Also: Which version of SheepShaver are you running on which host system and which system did you install in SheepShaver?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
luxor
Space Cadet

Post by luxor »

I was trying to install Word 5.1 from an archive file...but I found another dsk image file and was able to install it, so all good now!