What portable device would run SheepShaver?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

eastcoastguyz
Space Cadet

What portable device would run SheepShaver?

Post by eastcoastguyz »

I've been using SheepShaver on a Mac Pro, and a little on Ubuntu and Windows XP. I mainly use it to play the game Mighty Mike (formerly know as Power Pete). I was thinking, it would be fun to have some portable device to run SheepShaver in order to like this game. If SheepShaver could run on an Android cell phone that would be cool, of course. Is there anything else that's portable, other than a laptop? I'm not a big Microsoft user, but do any of their PDAs run a version of Windows that SheepShaver would run on? Thanks!
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

I know there is a port of BasiliskII for PSP, which I've seen on YouTube as being able to run at least Mac OS 8.0... but I doubt that the PSP would be powerful enough to take on PPC emulation. Perhaps the PSP2 (aka NGP) might be a possible future prospect for portable PPC emulation.... that is, if emulating PPC doesn't drain the batteries or causes the thing to overheat... effectively turning the portable device into a brick........ a very hot brick.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Sheepshaver with 800x600 millions of color would require at least 1GHz Core2 level processor to run smoothly with 0 frameskips... iPad2's A5 CPU may achieve that.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

yksoft1 wrote:Sheepshaver with 800x600 millions of color would require at least 1GHz Core2 level processor to run smoothly with 0 frameskips... iPad2's A5 CPU may achieve that.
But the iPad does not run either MacOSX or Windows or Linux. Could it be ported to iOS?
McIntosh
Tinkerer

REPLY x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by McIntosh »

Dunno. There could be a C++ compiler for iPad. Even if so, there would be a bit of tweaking needed(like what you have to do in Bloodshed dev C++). I hope there is a compiler for iPad, because I'm interested in SS on it!

Hey, last time I heard, you program with HTML5 in iOS(which HTML is the only programming language I know.)
deviantgiant
Space Cadet

Post by deviantgiant »

new guy here interested in this.

iPad runs iOS. iOS is basically OSX for ARM processor. It uses xCode. The difference between iOS and OSX is the GUI layer, touch APIs, and the fact it runs on an ARM processor vs PowerPC/Intel.

Does SheepShaver compile using xcode? I think the only other work would be designing/changing dialogues/menus for the touch APIs.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

SheepShaver uses the Xcode GCC etc, but isn't written in Objective C. There is no Xcode project that compiles the application. I think only the GUI and VM launcher have Xcode project info attached to them.
And then there are the assembly instructions that might not fit the iPad processor at all....
But I might be wrong. Perhaps one of the developers that occasionally contribute code can shed some light on this.

There is some older code for Basilisk that was maintained in Xcode. That might be your best starting point.

Best,
Cat_7
McIntosh
Tinkerer

REPLY x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by McIntosh »

Hey,
There is a build of Mini vMac for the iPod/iPhone. The guy who supplied that build must know how to make builds in C/C++ for iPad too. Can one of you guys contact the Mini vMac guy and ask him who supplied the build?