Color change in SheepShaver MacOSX

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

anagram
Student Driver

Sheepshaver window color changes after Hide

Post by anagram »

Hi - Noticing a strange window color change in Sheepshaver under these conditions:

Hide Sheepshaver. Either by using Mac OS X menu or alt-click elsewhere.

Return to Sheepshaver. After a moment, the window gets a bright-blue overcast.

Dragging mouse around the screen will update small bits of it, as it redraws small regions of the screen, but otherwise, can't get rid of it except by restart, or Monitors control panel change.

This happens on two different MacBook Pro installations of Sheepshaver. My MacPro does not do it.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

(I moved your post to a new topic here, because it was off-topic in the BasiliskII forum.)

The color shift you describe will happen after hiding SheepShaver, and equally after minimizing the SheepShaver window, with SheepShaver running in 64-bit mode. It will not happen with SheepShaver running in 32-bit mode. You can force SheepShaver to run in 32-bit mode by checking the related box in the Finder Info panel for SheepShaver.app.
IPalindromeI
Tinkerer

Post by IPalindromeI »

I had the colour shift problem with SS SVN on Debian. That's a gamma problem. Snow Leopard, Windows, and Linux by default use a different setting than pre-10.5, you need to make Classic match the default system gamma. Go to Monitors control panel, and try to hunt around for some gamma setting.

Don't know about the screen artifacts though.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

IPalindromeI wrote:I had the colour shift problem with SS SVN on Debian. That's a gamma problem. Snow Leopard, Windows, and Linux by default use a different setting than pre-10.5, you need to make Classic match the default system gamma. Go to Monitors control panel, and try to hunt around for some gamma setting.
That is a different problem and not related to the known problem in the 64-bit version of SheepShaver for MacOSX that manifests itself after hiding or minimizing the SheepShaver window.
anagram
Student Driver

Post by anagram »

@Ronald,

Sure enough, MacPro in 32 bit mode. Changing it fixes.

Once again I bow down before your awesomeness...
-anne
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

This also happens with my Basilisk II when I switch to any 256-color setting . I have to switch again and back for it to actually display comprehensible colors .
anagram
Student Driver

Color change woes returning from Hide when running as root

Post by anagram »

Hello,
I am running Sheepshaver as root, spawned from a terminal script, so that I may use AppleTalk devices.
Now, when I Hide Sheepshaver, and bring it back, the color issues return. I conclude that launching Sheepshaver from
command line defaults to 64 bit mode. Is there an option I can add to command line to run Sheepshaver in 32 bit mode?

thanks,
anne
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

dweston
Space Cadet

Re: Color change in SheepShaver MacOSX

Post by dweston »

I'm running SheepShaver_UB_20140201 under MacOSX Yosemite. There is no choice but to run this version in 32bit mode (it will not run under Yosemite in 64bit mode).

Still experiencing this very annoying blue screen colour switch following the hiding and revealing of the Sheepshaver window.

Has anyone yet found a solution to rectify this?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It is an issue with SDL that cannot be solved in SheepShaver itself.

If you find this color issue very disturbing, you can use the older 25 October 2009 build, it was built with an older SDL version: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 091025.zip

(Note that the 2009 build does not support disk images in sparsebundle format.)
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

dweston wrote:I'm running SheepShaver_UB_20140201 under MacOSX Yosemite. There is no choice but to run this version in 32bit mode (it will not run under Yosemite in 64bit mode).

Still experiencing this very annoying blue screen colour switch following the hiding and revealing of the Sheepshaver window.

Has anyone yet found a solution to rectify this?
This isn't the same as a built-in fix, but it works:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=8574
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:It is an issue with SDL that cannot be solved in SheepShaver itself.

If you find this color issue very disturbing, you can use the older 25 October 2009 build, it was built with an older SDL version: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 091025.zip

(Note that the 2009 build does not support disk images in sparsebundle format.)

Your link got chopped....

I didn't know SDL had some weird thing going on with this, is it the framework, or the support code? I'd imagine if it were the framework, then it wouldn't be the Sheep exe itself then.
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

neozeed wrote:Your link got chopped...
This one should work:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 091025.zip
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

Ronald, SheepShaver 2.4 (20140201) has been running beautifully for me for over six months now without incident, other than the noted blue screen.

So, as you can imagine, I am greatly concerned about downgrading to "SheepShaver_10-25-2009_UB.zip", which I have had stored on my hard drive for the same length of time. As you may recall, it took me weeks of work to get SheepShaver working properly on my iMac, so I am really hesitant to upset the apple cart, as they say.

However, as I pointed out in another new post -- before I saw this current thread -- the blue screen issue continues to annoy me.

So, IF I did choose to downgrade to "SheepShaver_10-25-2009_UB.zip", would I simply have to replace the actual SheepShaver app, or would replacing SheepShaver 2.4 (20140201) with SheepShaver 10-25-2009 UB mess up my delicately-balanced settings on either the Mac OS X El Capitan side, or on the Mac OS 9.0.4 side in SheepShaver, or maybe even in my wi-fi router side?

If there is any potential and/or danger of any of this happening, I think I would just prefer to continue to endure the blue screen.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You can simply replace the application, no need to change settings. Some newer features, like the Ctrl-Return full-screen toggle, will not work in the older build.

How the various builds will run in OSX 10.11 is not yet tested extensively.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

Hello again Ronald. Thanks for your response.

Rather than lose the newer functionality that SheepShaver 2.4 (20140201) provides, and risk something going wrong between "SheepShaver_10-25-2009_UB.zip" and El Capitan Golden Master -- Oh what a headache that would be, no doubt -- I decided to follow Emendelson's suggestion and used the Apple Script solution instead.

I got Emendelson's solution to work in Mac OS 9.0.4 running SheepShaver 2.4 (20140201) by doing the following:

a. I downloaded the "GTQ Scripting Library 1.2.1" .hqx archive from http://www.info-mac.org/viewtopic.php?f ... ng+Library and installed just the "Set Depth to" scripting addition in OS 9.0.4's "System Folder/Scripting Additions" folder.

b. I downloaded the AppleScript 1.4.3 (International Version) installer from http://www.gla.ac.uk/~gwm1h/macos9/ because both AppleScript 1.6 and AppleScript 1.8.3 are too new for OS 9.0.4.

In case you are wondering, I didn't have Apple's Script Editor installed in my SheepShaver setup, because I run a very lean OS 9.0.4 so that SheepShaver runs as quickly and as efficiently as possible.

c. Once AppleScript was installed, I just created a new script with just the lines . . .

set depth to 16
set depth to 32

d. I saved it as a "classic applet" and placed it in my main "AppleScript" folder -- normally found in the "Apple Extras" folder in OS 9 -- and then put an alias of the applet on my SheepShaver desktop.

e. Whenever my screen turns blue, I just double-click the desktop alias. I find that it is a lot quicker and easier than having to do the following:

1. Select "Control Panels" under the Apple menu.
2. Select the "Monitors" control panel.
3. Switch the color depth to "Thousands".
4. Switch the color depth back to "Millions".
5. Close the "Monitors" control panel.

As I said, I could have just downgraded to "SheepShaver_10-25-2009_UB.zip" as you suggested, in order to get rid of the blue screen problem. However, I didn't want to take the chance of possibly messing up other parts of my SheepShaver installation, by accident.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA