SheepShaver GUI and Lion/Rosetta

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

drmoss_ca
Space Cadet

SheepShaver GUI and Lion/Rosetta

Post by drmoss_ca »

I see the SheepShaverGUI.app is PPC only. I believe the SheepShaverPrefs.app is Intel and I believe it has all the same functionality. I'm trying to prepare for Lion/10.7 and replace or remove my PPC apps. I take it I am OK to trash SheepShaverGUI.app and just use SheepShaverPrefs.app?

Chris
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The SheepShaverGUI application is very much outdated and should not be used anymore, also not on PPC. The SheepShaverPrefs application will probably run in Lion, unless you start up your Mac into 64bit kernel (as some of the very newest Mac models do by default).

Recent SheepShaver builds have a built-in preferences editor and a Prefs application is only needed to get out of full-screen mode (where the OSX menu bar is inaccessible) or when the built-in prefs editor cannot be accessed if SheepShaver crashes on launch.

My latest SheepShaver build ( 6 November 2010) has been reported to run fine in Lion. (With a few issues when run in 64bit mode.) http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6703

See also the setup guide for settings that may need to be different (like enabling "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses") when you replace an older SheepShaver build. http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The are some rare situations in which the newer prefs application doesn't function correctly. This happens when you need the full paths to certain files in the prefs file. The newer prefs app prefers to enter only relative paths.

Best,
Cat_7
drmoss_ca
Space Cadet

Post by drmoss_ca »

Thank you. It all seems to work as advertised, with one difference - previously the shared disk could happily be my OSX hard disk, but startup hung up at the point of showing the desktop. Cured it by making my home folder the shared disk. It's a lot better than the old way of having a shared .dmg for file transfers.

Chris
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I always advise (see also the setup guide) not to use important folders as shared folder and certainly not the whole OSX hard disk. Although the worst bugs in the shared folder/Unix disk feature have been solved, you may still experience occasional unexpected behavior. Although this rarely results in actual file loss, it is still safer to use a separate shared folder for copying files between host and guest environments.
mhmyers
Student Driver

Post by mhmyers »

Can Snow Leopard run on Sheepshaver so PPC apps can run while booted into Lion?
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

SheepShaver is a PPC emulator that is very useful to run OS Classic (i.e. before OS X). Snow Leopard is OS X 10.6 and does not run on PPC processors; just Intel ones.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes,

Currently the only way to run a PPC OSX version is by using PearPC. It supports 10.3 and 10.4 and emulates a G3 or G4 (limited) processor. There is a version available for Mac OSX (see the PearPC topic) but it is very slow, as it lacks the Just-In-Time compiler the Windows and Linux version have.

Of late, there is some movement in the development of PearPC, so perhaps in some time PearPC could help you run PPC applications in Lion.

Best,
Cat_7
ScottDutton
Space Cadet

Lion and SS

Post by ScottDutton »

I've just upgraded to Lion on the latest iMac, and hope to use SheepShaver to keep using a couple of older PPC apps without breaking out one of my older Macs.

Read your guide. Installed the ROM extracted with TomeViewer. Have an original OS 8 disc. Set the prefs and everything is configured as you suggest. Made a hard disc of 500MB. Booted up SS. ROM loads fine, but then I get the error message :

"This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest Installer to update this disk for this model. Restart"

Hope you can offer some insight. Thanks for your time and your work.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Lion and SS

ScottDutton wrote:I've just upgraded to Lion on the latest iMac, and hope to use SheepShaver to keep using a couple of older PPC apps without breaking out one of my older Macs.
Note that in SheepShaver you can run 'Classic' MacOS applications, not MacOSX PPC applications.
Have an original OS 8 disc. [...] "This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest Installer to update this disk for this model. Restart"
The ROM file you extracted is a "new world" ROM file and will only work with MacOS 8.5 through 9.0.4. For MacOS 8.0 or 8.1 you will need a "old world" ROM file. You can find one if you Google for "redundant robot sheepshaver" (without the quotes).
ScottDutton
Space Cadet

Post by ScottDutton »

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I misspoke about PPC. I did mean Classic. And I will look for that Old World ROM.

Appreciate the quick followup.
ScottDutton
Space Cadet

Post by ScottDutton »

Solved the issues I was having. Running fine under Lion. Thanks again.
robbo007
Student Driver

Re: SheepShaver GUI and Lion/Rosetta

Post by robbo007 »

Hello,
My sheep shaver seems to crash under lion when I load in Fullscreen. I'm using a 27" mac monitor. Any way to get full screen?

Thanks,
Rob
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver GUI and Lion/Rosetta

This issue is known and documented in one of the sticky topics at the top of this SheepShaver forum:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=7360

You can try the latest test build if you need to use SheepShaver fullscreen:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 058#p42058