Can Virtual PC run under Sheepshaver?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ctein
Student Driver

Can Virtual PC run under Sheepshaver?

Post by Ctein »

Dear Folks,

I'm running Sheepshaver v2.3.20101106 on my 2007 MacBook Pro, running OS9. Whenever I try to launch Virtual PC 5, Seepshaver crashes.

Any thoughts, anybody?

pax / Ctein
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Any thought? :-)
Oracle´s Virtual Box runs fine on my MacPro 3.1 with a couple of Windy guest systems.
But that wasn´t your question.
I had SheepShaver running in XP in Virtual Box in GNU-Linux for a try,
but wouldn´t recommend emulation inside an emulation,
unless you are on very fast hardware and want to kill computing power.
Last edited by 24bit on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Well, I never even thought of trying to run VirtualPC in SheepShaver on MacOSX. There are easier ways to run a different OS on a Intel Mac like your MacBook Pro. You can use Apple Boot Camp or use virtualization software. If you find the commercial virtualization products too expensive, have a look at the free VirtualBox that is also mentioned above by 24bit: http://www.virtualbox.org/
Ctein
Student Driver

Post by Ctein »

Dear Ronald,

All true, and I have and use Parallels with Windows Vista.

Things is, I have a legacy system running a whole bunch of older Windows stuff under VPC. I could spend a couple of days installing Windows and all that old software, get it configured properly, etc. Or I could just grab the drive image and VPC, put them on my MacBook Pro, and be up and running in no time

... if it worked. Sigh.

pax / Ctein
IPalindromeI
Tinkerer

Post by IPalindromeI »

If I recall, QEMU supports Virtual PC disk images. Probably won't boot because of emulated hw differences, but likely readable.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I think you best search Parallels documentation for an answer or visit a Parallels user forum. I do not use Parallels Desktop myself, but I am pretty sure that I read about Parallels being able to import other virtual machines, among which VirtualPC virtual machines, using a utility called Transporter.