New SheepShaver MacOSX UB build for testing

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: New SheepShaver MacOSX UB build for testing

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Here is a the latest (11 February 2012) test build.

Download: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 1_test.zip

Again, anyone who wants to try it, please report your findings. Below are test results. In black confirmed behavior, in grey expected behavior that is not yet confirmed with this build.

"+" means that it works well, "–" means that it does not work or has a problem. "Hardware cursor" means that you can move the black arrow cursor out of the SheepShaver window without a cursor image staying behind at the window border.

In OSX 10.5 this build will run in 32-bit mode by only.
In OSX 10.6 and 10.7 this build will run in 32-bit mode by default but can be set to run in 64-bit mode in Finder Info for the application.

Known issue on Intel machines:
After minimizing or hiding the SheepShaver window and again bringing it back in view, colors in the window will not be displayed correctly. It can be resolved by forcing the emulator to redraw its screen by changing (and changing back) the color depth setting in Monitors control panel or from the color depth control strip tile.

PPC OSX 10.4.11
+ Window mode
+ Full-screen mode
+ Hardware cursor
+ clipboard integration for text
+ networking
– Like previous PPC versions, very CPU hungry. Should not be run at higher than 30Hz refresh rate.

PPC OSX 10.5.x
+ Window mode
+ Full-screen mode
+ Hardware cursor
+ networking
– Like previous PPC versions, very CPU hungry. Should not be run at higher than 30Hz refresh rate.

Intel OSX 10.4.11
+ Window mode
+ Full-screen mode
+ Hardware cursor
+ networking

Intel OSX 10.5.x
+ Window mode
+ Full-screen mode
+ Hardware cursor
+ networking

Intel OSX 10.6.8 (32-bit)
+ Window mode
+ Full-screen mode
+ Hardware cursor
+ networking

Intel OSX 10.6.8 (64-bit)
+ Window mode
– Full-screen mode (serious cursor problems when clicking in menu bar)
+ Hardware cursor
– clipboard integration for text (known problem in 64-bit mode)
+ networking

Intel OSX 10.7.3 (32-bit)
+ Window mode
+ Full-screen mode
+ Hardware cursor
+ networking

Intel OSX 10.7.3 (64-bit)
+ Window mode
+ Full-screen mode
+ Hardware cursor
+ networking
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Included results by other users
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Myrd wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
rscaboyke wrote:As I already posted a couple of times, Gwenole had once fixed the opcode error in one of his releases because at that time, people could still ask him for help.
This was discussed before. Regrettably, no one knows what that fix was. Gwenole apparently did not document it and did not add it to CVS.
Is there a download link for a release that has the fix? Perhaps it may be possible to figure it out through disassembly.
I am not sure the fix was ever in an actual release version. Maybe "rscaboyke" has a copy of that build? As far as I know, this fix is not in Gwenole's 14 May 2006 2.3 snapshot (of which I have a copy). I do not know if it can be found among the files that are still available here: http://gwenole.beauchesne.free.fr/sheepshaver/files/
fehervaria
Space Cadet

Post by fehervaria »

Hi Ronald,
Thank you for the new build. I did a few test about the following configurations.
The new build runs as expected in your post. I did a Leopard test as well on PPC (PowerBook G4 12" 867MHz, 640MB RAM).
I tested these configurations properly, not just booted up the system. I have Mac OS 9.0.4 installed in SheepShaver and "shared printer" printing over my iMac 27" with cupsctl 'BrowseLocalProtocols="cups dnssd lpd"' .

PPC OSX 10.5.x (32-bit)
+ Window mode
+ Full-screen mode
+ Hardware cursor
+ networking
– Like previous PPC versions, very CPU hungry. Should not be run at higher than 30Hz refresh rate. (Totaly agree - Attila)

Intel OSX 10.7.3 (32-bit)
+ Window mode
+ Full-screen mode
+ Hardware cursor
+ networking

Intel OSX 10.7.3 (64-bit)
+ Window mode
+ Full-screen mode
+ Hardware cursor
+ networking

Clipboard usage in 64-bit mode: Sometimes absolutely nothing coming over from/to the target system - independent that is a host or guest OS - sometimes big amount of questionmarks showing in the emulated guest system but nothing coming to the host OS. I did testing this a bit more different aspects but I find this behaviour is hectic and not possible to reproduce consistently.

/Attila
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I can confirm, that with Intel OSX 10.4.10 in VMWare everything works.
+ Window mode
+ Full-screen mode
+ Hardware cursor
+ networking (Classilla over slirp)

Not too big a surprise with a 32bit Tiger, I suppose.
The same seems to be true for 10.5.8, except for Classilla over slirp, but maybe I am missing something.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

fehervaria and 24bit, thanks for testing.

Clipboard integration does not work in 64-bit mode. The OSX clipboard apparently works differently in 32-bit and 64-bit. So far, no one has attempted to create clipboard integration in SheepShaver with 64-bit OSX host systems.

I wonder why slirp networking did not work in 10.5.8 Intel. This was probably in VMWare? Anyone else who can test this on a "real" Intel Mac with 10.5.x?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Quite right, 10.5.8 was in VMWare as well.
I´ll double check the slirp thing.
The virtual machine itself does connect to the internet.
rscaboyke
Student Driver

Post by rscaboyke »

I only have de ss-windows-executable, in which framemaker 7.0 does work without the opcode crash.

get it at :

http://users.telenet.be/bassieke/SheepShaver.rar

hope it can be done in lion 10.7.3 as well
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The build-date of that windows executable is 14th of May 2006.
Do you know if that build was made specifically to solve the problem? Or is it just that the windows version doesn't exhibit the error?

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Here is Gewenole Beauchesne's 14 May 2006 UB build for MacOSX. Does Framemaker 7 run in this build?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... SX.tar.bz2
rscaboyke
Student Driver

Post by rscaboyke »

I'll try that mac version at home later, but that windows release was a release he did after I involded him with the framemaker matter
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

rscaboyke wrote:but that windows release was a release he did after I involded him with the framemaker matter
Gwenole built both versions ("snapshots") at the same day from the same source. They were also the last versions he published. Did you contact him about the framemaker issue in regard to the Windows version or in regard to the MacOSX version? If you contacted him about the Windows version, he may have solved the issue in the Windows version only. Not much help now for the MacOSX version.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Myrd
Granny Smith

Post by Myrd »

Do we have any builds close to those ones in dates without the fix?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

No, unless someone happens to have saved such a build.

The 14 May 2006 builds were the last ones that Gwenole published. He did continue work on the source for some time until he announced that he had "suspended" his work on BasiliskII and SheepShaver, but he never published another build himself. Later he shut down his site unexpectedly and he never answered attempts to contact him. There were earlier 2006 builds on his site, but unless someone downloaded those then and kept the files, they are lost. We only have these links to older 2004-2005 builds: http://gwenole.beauchesne.free.fr/sheepshaver/files/ and I saved some of my own builds since 2008.
rscaboyke
Student Driver

Post by rscaboyke »

That mac version isn't supported in lion anymore, as rosetta disappeared.
Yes I think I asked Gwenolé to patch and resolve the frame maker opcode error in SS for Windows.
But I think there was also a mac version that did run ss on my iatkos4 earlier, but none builds run frame in ss for lion.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

That 14 May 2006 Mac build is UB and does not require Rosetta. It runs fine here (though slow) in Snow Leopard on Intel. Have you tried it in Lion?
(The included SheepShaverGUI is indeed PPC only, but you do not need that if you have SheepShaver already set up.)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Back on topic:
The test build: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 058#p42058

1. There is only one report (by "24bit") of the 11 February 2012 test build running in 10.5 (Leopard) on Intel. There slirp networking seemed not to work.

As this is not expected behavior (slirp works in 10.4, 10.6, and 10.7), more reports of this test build running in Leopard on Intel are welcome.

2. There is an annoying issue on Intel machines with this build (and with previous recent builds using the XCode project and SDL 1.2.15) that occurs after minimizing or hiding SheepShaver window and bringing it back in view. As soon as one clicks in de window the colors change and appear incorrect. It happens in both 32-bit and 64-bit mode. It can be resolved by forcing the emulator to redraw its screen by changing (and changing back) the color depth setting in Monitors control panel or from the color depth control strip tile, but it is annoying to have to do this each time after the window was minimized or hidden.

Anyone who can shed some light on this issue? Could it be SDL-related?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I finally checked the slirp issue in my 10.5 virtual machine and found it is not related to the test build.
SS does not connect, regardless of the type of the build.
My boot disk and Classilla disk are the same as usual and have been proven to work on other hosts.
Not a big thing though, just wanted to let you know.

TCP/IP is set to "Ethernet" and "DHCP Server" as usual.
As the problem is on my side, lets disregard it.
Last edited by 24bit on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. Anyone who can test this build, specifically network access, in 10.5 on a real Intel Mac?

2. @ 24bit
Does TCP/IP control panel get the expected addresses through DHCP?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The latest build connects perfectly to the internet (Classilla opens every site I try) on a 10.5 system running in a VMware virtual machine. I haven't tested it on real hardware, but 24bit reports that his problem seems to occur with every build, so there's probably something wrong with his specific system, not with this build or any other. There is no reason to believe that this new build has any problem with networking under 10.5.

As for your question about colors changing - I've seen similar behavior with DOSBox running under OS X; it seems to be a fault in SDL. I don't know of a fix.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

emendelson wrote:There is no reason to believe that this new build has any problem with networking under 10.5.
Thanks.
As for your question about colors changing - I've seen similar behavior with DOSBox running under OS X; it seems to be a fault in SDL. I don't know of a fix.
Yes, it is my guess also that this is a SDL issue.

So this build seems to run fine on all OSX hosts from PPC 10.4 up to Intel Lion (and as Cat_7 reported also in Mountain Lion Developer Preview).

The color issue on Intel machines is annoying but does only occur after hiding or minimizing SheepShaver window and can be corrected easily when it occurs.

The two other known issues, full-screen cursor problem in Snow Leopard and missing pasteboard integration, are 64-bit only and can be avoided by running SheepShaver in its default 32-bit mode.

I am very busy this coming week, but as soon as I have time to do that, I will post this build as the preferred build and I will edit the sticky topic and the setup manual accordingly.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I will post this build as the preferred build and I will edit the sticky topic and the setup manual accordingly.
I haven't seen this reported by anyone else, but the new build has the additional benefit, in my case, that, should I want to run it in 64-bit mode on OS X 10.7.3 in a Mac Pro 2,1 with 7GB of RAM, OS 9.0.4 would start up successfully without any conflicts with the SOMObjects extension, which previous builds consistently presented.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, also the crash when launching iCab on previous builds in 64-bit mode has gone and on PPC machines the odd "unexpectedly quit" message at launch, that plagued all previous builds I know, has gone.
robbo007
Student Driver

Post by robbo007 »

Right, testing it under 10.7.3. Full screen now works perfectly. Cant seem to get networking running. Ive set ethernet interface to slurp and under OS9.0.3 I've setup the IP address for my LAN. No luck. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

If you set networking to use slirp in the preferences editor, you can set TCP/IP in Mac OS to DHCP. Mac OS will then get an address from the slirp-built-in DHCP server.

Best,
Cat_7
robbo007
Student Driver

Post by robbo007 »

great thanks. Now working :)