Problem: Crashes After Startup Sound and Splash Screen

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Broski270
Student Driver

Problem: Crashes After Startup Sound and Splash Screen

Post by Broski270 »

I'm trying to install Mac OS 8.1 into SheepShaver. When I load up SheepShaver, it crashes when its at the Splash Screen (with the smiley face). I have Windows 7 and am running the program with administration rights. I have the 8/30/2010 build of SheepShaver. Please help. Here is my prefs file:

Code: Select all

disk C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\SheepShaver\macos81
cdrom F:\
extfs 
screen win/640/480
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 1
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv false
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs false
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT
All help will be greatly appreciated! Been trying emulators for the past 3 years to run an old childhood game I loved and I feel SheepShaver may be the solution.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Problem: Crashes After Startup Sound and Splash Screen

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Your prefs file looks a bit strange. Where is your ROM entry?
You might include the path to the rom like this:

rom C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\SheepShaver\(enter the name of your rom file)

Furthermore, in order to install Mac OS 8.1 in SheepShaver, you need the old world rom. Do you have it? If not, you can search the redundant robot site for the file.

Are you trying to install from a real CD or from a CDrom image?

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Broski270
Student Driver

Post by Broski270 »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Your prefs file looks a bit strange. Where is your ROM entry?
You might include the path to the rom like this:

rom C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\SheepShaver\(enter the name of your rom file)

Furthermore, in order to install Mac OS 8.1 in SheepShaver, you need the old world rom. Do you have it? If not, you can search the redundant robot site for the file.

Are you trying to install from a real CD or from a CDrom image?

Best,
Cat_7
Its a real CD. I do see an Old World Rom in the SheepShaver folder that I downloaded from these folders. Is that it? I'm not really understanding all this ROM stuff.

Here's the guide I'm following: http://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup
And I figured I'd include it but here's the game I'm trying to emulate: http://www.macintoshgarden.org/games/reckless-drivin

EDIT: I went and tried 2 roms from that site, no difference. Still randomly closes after the splash screen.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The rom file consists of a piece of software which was on a chip in a real mac. It is needed for the emulator to function.

You need to set the path to the rom file (the old world rom in the download) in the prefs file, like I indicated in my earlier reply. Are you using the SheepShaver GUI to do your settings?

Did you also put the cdenable.sys file in the correc folder in Windows? Without it, SheepShaver for Windows can't read Mac OS formatted CD's. Is the CD you are using a universal install cd? Or is for a specific mac model? If the disk says it is for a specific mac model, then perhaps it's better to look in the macintoshgarden site for a Mac OS 8.5 or 9 cd image (with a yellow/orange number on it) and use that for installation.

Beware, that when you have 64 version of windows, the cdenable.sys file doesn't work and you need to make an image of the disk and add that to the volumes list in the GUI.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Broski270
Student Driver

Post by Broski270 »

The rom file consists of a piece of software which was on a chip in a real mac. It is needed for the emulator to function.

You need to set the path to the rom file (the old world rom in the download) in the prefs file, like I indicated in my earlier reply. Are you using the SheepShaver GUI to do your settings?

Did you also put the cdenable.sys file in the correc folder in Windows? Without it, SheepShaver for Windows can't read Mac OS formatted CD's. Is the CD you are using a universal install cd? Or is for a specific mac model? If the disk says it is for a specific mac model, then perhaps it's better to look in the macintoshgarden site for a Mac OS 8.5 or 9 cd image (with a yellow/orange number on it) and use that for installation.

Beware, that when you have 64 version of windows, the cdenable.sys file doesn't work and you need to make an image of the disk and add that to the volumes list in the GUI.

Best,
Cat_7
It is reading the CD perfectly fine. I installed the .sys file already. I am using the SheepShaver GUI for everything. I just set a path to the rom that was downloaded and it is still doing this weird crash after the splash screen. I don't understand what is going on. I did a google search and someone said something about the image getting blocked? I did not at all understand it. Here's that topic: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7236

Here's my new prefs file:

Code: Select all

disk C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\SheepShaver\macos81
disk C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\SheepShaver\newworld86.rom
cdrom F:\
extfs 
screen win/640/480
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 2
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv false
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs false
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

If you downloaded the SheepShaver application etc. from this post:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5325
(the one you are reminded to always download) then you have a file called "Mac_OS_ROM_oldworld"
You need to use the Memory/Misc tab in the GUI to set the path to that rom file, not to the file "newworld86.rom"

Also, on the same Memory/Misc tab please check "Ignore Illegal Memory Access".

Best,
Cat_7
Broski270
Student Driver

Post by Broski270 »

Cat_7 wrote:If you downloaded the SheepShaver application etc. from this post:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5325
(the one you are reminded to always download) then you have a file called "Mac_OS_ROM_oldworld"
You need to use the Memory/Misc tab in the GUI to set the path to that rom file, not to the file "newworld86.rom"

Also, on the same Memory/Misc tab please check "Ignore Illegal Memory Access".

Best,
Cat_7
Just did the changes you said. I checked Ignore Illegal Memory Access and changed the rom to the one specified. Unfortunately I am still getting this crash. I am wondering what this could possibly be if that was what the problem on that one page was. :?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The page you referred to mentions a problem with a disk that was set to "read only" after it was transferred from another computer. That doesn't seem to be your problem.

Perhaps I should have asked before, but what exactly happens on your computer? Do you get an error message? Can you repeat it here?
How far do you get in booting SheepShaver with the CD? You say to the splash screen. Is that the Mac OS screen? Do you see the little happy mac icon on the initial grey screen?

Best,
Cat_7
Broski270
Student Driver

Post by Broski270 »

The page you referred to mentions a problem with a disk that was set to "read only" after it was transferred from another computer. That doesn't seem to be your problem.

Perhaps I should have asked before, but what exactly happens on your computer? Do you get an error message? Can you repeat it here?
How far do you get in booting SheepShaver with the CD? You say to the splash screen. Is that the Mac OS screen? Do you see the little happy mac icon on the initial grey screen?

Best,
Cat_7
Yes, the little happy mac where it says "Mac OS", then SheepShaver just shuts down, no error messages or warnings or nothing, its just sudden.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Please remove the file sheepshaver_nvram from your SheepShaver folder and start SheepShaver. If that doesn't work, you can also try to set different amount of memory, like 128/256/512/1024 Mb

And as a last resort: please try to get things running with this version of SheepShaver:
http://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver/ ... .win32.zip

For this version, you don't need to change anything, just replace your current SheepShaver.exe with the one in the download.

Best,
Cat_7
Broski270
Student Driver

Post by Broski270 »

Thank you for the help! I accidentally discovered the problem when I was changing the memory to 1024. I had been importing the rom file to my volumes, when I was supposed to set it up in the Memory tabs. I am very grateful for your help throughout this! I'll come back if I need anymore help trying to get the game to run. Thank you so much! :mrgreen:

Sincerely,
Broski270