SheepShaver on Slackware Live

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ijelorriaga

SheepShaver on Slackware Live

Post by ijelorriaga »

SheepShaver works on Slackware Live CD, maybee we can make a Live CD as Amithlon to run SheepShaver PPC emulator faster than on any other Distribution.

I`m trying to doit my self... Post here your comments to help.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Do you mean, we get a live linux CD such as knoppix, DSL or slackware, install sheepshaver on it, and set linux to run when the computer has booted up, or do you mean that sheepshavers could just run on the linux Kernal?
ijelorriaga

SheepShaver

Post by ijelorriaga »

No I mean that I used Slackware Live CD ISO ans SHeepShaver in the same CD. But we if you visit Slackware Live CD Home page there is a tutorial of how you can make your own customized CD.
I gess therea are two posibilities, one is to make a light gui to make SheepShaver work on Slackware. The other one is to get the sources and develop a light kernell that suports the basic functions to make the emulator to work.

This is what i have used and tried.
-Slackware Live CD
-SheepShaver x86 Slackware build
-PPC Rom 4Meg
-OS 8.1 .hfv file
-UltraISO 5.1

I put all what we need i side "/usr/local/bin/", burned the cd.

Slackware CD boots directly from the CD and the files in root.tar.gz are unpacked in the ramdisk. SheepShaver works slow on my 1ghz duron, but it works.

The other possibility is to make it work on Knoppix or Morhix, maybe DamnsSmall Linux could be faster.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

A live CD that boots up to SheepShaver would certainly help people who are Linux-phobes to sample the app, but it would be quite illegal to distribute the ROM on the CD, so you would have to overcome that.
Last edited by Marc on Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Have it pull the rom off floppy.
ijelorriaga

Slackware Live

Post by ijelorriaga »

Slackware Live CD is freeware.
ijelorriaga

Slackware Live CD

Post by ijelorriaga »

http://www.slackware-live.org/

...Slackware-Live CD is a bootable CD containing Linux operating system. It runs Linux directly from CDROM without installing. The live CD described here is based on Slackware GNU Linux distribution and is downloadable from this website as an ISO. There are also available all scripts and source codes, which can be used to build your own live CD...

Post by Guest »

Of course it's free.. the PPC rom you need to run SheepShaver is not.

Post by Guest »

For that matter, I's suppose the pre-install MacOS 8.6 image you'd want to have wouldn't be exactly legal either... so the only way to do this legally would be to have your bootable CD without the ROM or MacOS image, and have the user add those to the CD Image before burning.
ijelorriaga

Slackware live CD

Post by ijelorriaga »

I never ment to put the ROM and MacOS Hard disk Image for CD Ditribution,I know its ilegal, it is supposed to br for personal use if you have a Mac or can get a ROM from a mac. It is to make a CD as Amithlon or AmigaXL.
Thyth

Post by Thyth »

Yes... several techni-legal limitations to overcome. You could use OS 7.5.5 which is PPC capable(and freely downloadable from Apple's site), and have people load their ROMs off USB flash drives(or multiple floppy disks).