[Q] Compiling SheepShaver for Windows

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

huckleberrypie
Space Cadet

[Q] Compiling SheepShaver for Windows

Post by huckleberrypie »

I know this one's a bit of a silly question, but can anyone elaborate me on how to build SS properly? I tried the guide here but some of the instructions seem a little on the confusing side, particularly the part with ./autogen.sh and stuff like that. Also, exactly how do I set up GTK and MinGW so that I can compile things?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: [Q] Compiling SheepShaver for Windows

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Currently there is no way to compile using mingw and msys.
You'll have to install Cygwin to compile SheepShaver. Please note that the GTK stuff is not needed if you only want to compile SheepShaver.

There is no exact list available detailing which packages have to be installed in Cygwin to be able to compile SheepShaver.

Can I ask why you want to compile your own version?

Best,
Cat_7
huckleberrypie
Space Cadet

Post by huckleberrypie »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Currently there is no way to compile using mingw and msys.
You'll have to install Cygwin to compile SheepShaver. Please note that the GTK stuff is not needed if you only want to compile SheepShaver.

There is no exact list available detailing which packages have to be installed in Cygwin to be able to compile SheepShaver.

Can I ask why you want to compile your own version?

Best,
Cat_7
Nothing, really, just out of curiosity. Anyway, is it normal for SS to crash when I visit certain pages on Classilla?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

There is no easy answer to that: Networking is not the most stable, but also Classilla is in development. So you can't always be sure where to put the blame ;-) Perhaps reading up on Classilla' status might help.

Best,
Cat_7
huckleberrypie
Space Cadet

Post by huckleberrypie »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

There is no easy answer to that: Networking is not the most stable, but also Classilla is in development. So you can't always be sure where to put the blame ;-) Perhaps reading up on Classilla' status might help.

Best,
Cat_7
Yeah, I get your drift. The best thing about SS is that turning on JIT makes for a smooth-sailing ride. At least most of my Mac applications run at full speed.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

You could now compile SheepShaver for Windows under MSYS using GCC 3.4.x, 4.0-4.3. Some of CFLAGS might need to be adjusted for compiling dyngen. GCC 4.4 or later will not work as internal compiler errors will happen compiling the dyngen.