black screen of death ;)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mike

black screen of death ;)

Post by mike »

i got a black screen in sheepshaver. i have read the previous topic on this. i have installed the rpm so i dont know how to apply the patch to fix the video. can anyone help?
thanks,
mike

PS: sry for asking so many questions
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Try unchecking all the Fullscreen modes in the Graphics/Sound tab of the GUI widget.
mike

Post by mike »

that worked, but only to get a gray screen. Whever anything moves over the window(etc the taskbar or a menu) that part of it becomes black. It still wont boot off of my cdrom. should i have not mounted it in linux??
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

O.K. I have a number of questions for you. Keep in mind I'm new at this too.
  • What Linux distro are you using?
  • What ROM image are you using; one from a Macintosh you own (what kind is it and do you know the checksum of the image?), or from the ROM Update image found on Apple's website?
  • What Mac OS are you trying to boot off of?
  • Do you have access to Macintosh boot floppies?
  • Do you have a working Mac?
  • Do you have access to a working Basilisk II setup?

Post by Guest »

Mac Emu wrote:O.K. I have a number of questions for you. Keep in mind I'm new at this too.
  • What Linux distro are you using?
  • What ROM image are you using; one from a Macintosh you own (what kind is it and do you know the checksum of the image?), or from the ROM Update image found on Apple's website?
  • What Mac OS are you trying to boot off of?
  • Do you have access to Macintosh boot floppies?
  • Do you have a working Mac?
  • Do you have access to a working Basilisk II setup?
1. Fedora core 1
2. I got the mac rom image off of a disc for os 8.6
3. Os 8.6
4. No, could you point me to some?
5. no
6. no
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Anonymous wrote:2. I got the mac rom image off of a disc for os 8.6
That is a New World Rom, as far as I know they are not supported yet in SS

Post by Guest »

SheepShaver 2.2-8 added support for the ROM from apples site at:

Here

But u need to extract it from Mac OS

And here is 2.2-8:

http://gwenole.beauchesne.online.fr/she ... 8.i586.rpm

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:SheepShaver 2.2-8 added support for the ROM from apples site at:

Here

But u need to extract it from Mac OS

And here is 2.2-8:

http://gwenole.beauchesne.online.fr/she ... 8.i586.rpm
but can you extract them for me please?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

That may be illegal. Distributing anything from Apple is usually illegal, even though they provide it for free on their website.

There is\was a contest going on here in this thread for how to extract the ROM image without using a Mac\MacEmulator or any other retail product. So far no one has "won" and there may not be a way of doing so.
AnonymousGuester

Post by AnonymousGuester »

I don't know if I should've mentioned it, but will TomeViewer do the trick?
Just a thought.
mike

Post by mike »

i suppose you could get the 68k version of tomeviewer, emulate it under basilisk, and extract the rom with that ;)
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

The discussion on Delphi shows how to do it using Basilisk II. Download the rom update and Tomeviewer, which can be found at the Mac-on-Linux website. Open the Tome in the SMI file et viola, extract the ROM Image for use with Sheepshaver.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

"How to extract the ROM image without using a Mac or Mac Emulator or any other retail product?"

I guess the preceeding sentance is difficult to understand.

What if someone does not own a Mac so does not (legally) have a ROM for using with Basilisk II? They can't run Basilisk II to run TomeView.

As Clockwise pointed out, Apple providing the free ROM image helps people who already own a Mac or 68k Mac ROM. But people who don't own a Mac (68k or PPC), thus no ROM image for Mac emulation under Basilisk, have no way of legally extracting the ROM image for use with SheepShaver.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

mike wrote:i suppose you could get the 68k version of tomeviewer, emulate it under basilisk, and extract the rom with that ;)
I was writing in reply to that post, I sense a bit of sarcasm aimed in my direction....... :P

People who don't own a Mac have never been able to use an Emulator, save for Exectuor style environments, really, so why should Apple posting a ROM Update change that? The only way around hope that TomeViewer can work in the Executor demo...

Has anyone tried this?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Mike (Guest) who created this thread is asking for someone to give him the ROM from the ROM Update as he doesn't have access to a Mac or Mac emulator. But then there were a few posts explaining how to do it in Basilisk II. I once again pointed out that he doesn't have access to a Mac or Mac emulator. The link in my post about the contest covers the attempts at using Executor for the task.
AnonymousGuester

Post by AnonymousGuester »

Oh, I'm sorry, my mistake.
But yes, to extract the rom without a mac seems impossible, unless executor can pull it off.