Updated SheepShaver icon ! (Win/OSX)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Weedy Weed Smoker
Space Cadet

Updated SheepShaver icon ! (Win/OSX)

Post by Weedy Weed Smoker »

The "old world" SheepShaver icon has made it's time, here is an updated 1024x1024 pixels version (256x256 for windows), with alpha transparency !

.icns for Mac OS X

.ico for Windows

On Mac, just replace the file in "SheepShaver.app/Contents/Resources/".

And here is a old/new comparison on the black menu background of OSX :
Last edited by Weedy Weed Smoker on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Weedy Weed Smoker
Space Cadet

Re: Updated SheepShaver icon ! (Win/OSX)

Post by Weedy Weed Smoker »

Updated post with a 1024x1024 (retina-ready) icon for MacOS X ! :smile:
merlucin
Space Cadet

Post by merlucin »

Added to Github as a pull request!
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

Still looks pixel.
merlucin
Space Cadet

Post by merlucin »

This is because you have to wait for the pull request to be accepted!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I think 'julialy' meant that the larger icons still show the original pixels but now as squares. At larger than 32x32 sizes you will see an image consisting of distinct squares instead of a blurred image. The shadows in the new icons are an improvement.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

Yeah, the fixed shadows are great.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

How about a completely different one that gives a better idea of what the program actually does, for example, this:

Downloadable as an OS X icon here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/271 ... n.icns.zip
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Hm, I would rather see a more fun icon. I like the image I found here:

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-illust ... st=899b98f

But I get confused about the complex license rules.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Any graphic artists on here? what I'd really like to see is a mashup of the Classic Environent icon Image and some shears Image

Basilisk II would of course need one of these on the front: Image

Thoughts?

For an added bonus, do the Apple Picasso effect with a sheep's face and a lizard's face.

Maybe I'll try my hand at it if I ever get time for creative projects like that :D
merlucin
Space Cadet

Post by merlucin »

It's impossible to get a full agreement for an icon :)

Is there a responsible of the project? Who is the GitHub manager? From my point of view this should be the one who has the final word about this.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Well, in reality, my SS icons are replaced with images of the OS CD they've got installed on them. I used to have the box art, but this works better for how I have things laid out currently.

Still, I think I may try for a picasso sheep this weekend....

... and here's the start: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/814 ... %20Icon.ai

Illustrator document included so that someone else can improve it, add drop shadows, drop a shear on the front, etc. :)
macomaniac
Student Driver

Post by macomaniac »

My turn for saturday kidding lol. Here are five minutes drawings with pencil on paper, the second pict colorized after scan in a light image editor :

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Let the artistic competitions begin!

Seriously, we've got plenty of creativity and talent on here, and only good could come of this :)
sbradshaw
Space Cadet

Post by sbradshaw »

macomaniac's design is great!
Based on that, how about this?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

In my opinion, we have a winner :)

This captures pretty much all of the design elements we've been discussing.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

And here it is as a Windows and OS X icon. Please feel free to post anywhere.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/271144/SSicons.zip
macomaniac
Student Driver

Post by macomaniac »

Nice work, sbradshaw! And nice icons as well emendelson!

My very rough and raw drafts were inspired both by the 'Auto-shave' picture (the 'self-shaving sheep') liked by Ronald :

and by the 'Picasso-drawing' by adespoton which reminded me of Picasso's painting «The Dream» :

where the face is both drawn in front view and in side view as in adespoton's drawing.

I would like here just to propose perhaps a slight modification to sbradshaw's image. Regarding the right side : the outlines of the sheep's body. I find my first draft rather 'stiff' and 'angular' in the rendering of the sheep's whool-flakes. Wouldn't that be nice to make them 'rounder', like in Ronald's picture, so that the sheep might look less savagely discheveled (lol), more pet-like in a smiling way, and moreover so that the whole stuff might have some similarity with a bundle of shaving foam wrapping the sheep's body?

Following that perspective I made a very raw modification of sbradshaw's image with a pencil which gave this after scan and some very awkward colorization :

If sbradshaw could make the same artistic finishing touches as he did first, perhaps something funny would come out? (sorry for the ugly draft :mrgreen:)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I just had an idea for a custom icon set... have a set of these with the OS versions for 7.5.3 through 9.0.4 shaved into the side of the sheep... not sure if this would work or not, but if it would, that'd be a great way to identify distinct bundles.
variants would be:

I figure these are the only versions people would actually want to attempt in SheepShaver, as the rest are all reither bugfixed or only partly functional.
macomaniac
Student Driver

Post by macomaniac »

Hi adespoton!

I find your suggestion very expedient. As you know, sheep, unlike cows, are not branded, but 'painted' (sic!) on their whool by shepherds with flaxen_oil paint. Which gives very coarse marks in the shape of ciphers. For instance :

So, that led me to the following aggiornamento of my previous ugly draft :

The idea is that, unlike the 'Apple_way' to draw OS ciphers (very aesthetic oblong delineation of such digits as '9' or '7' etc.), to keep some coherence with the theme of a 'self-shaving sheep' (lol) covered with shaving foam, the marks of shaving into the foam covering the body ought to show rather 'angular' and 'straight' shapes, not very accurate, nor carving the 'holes' inside ciphers which have some like '0' of '9'. Just to look like shaving tracks vaguely reminiscent of ciphers [better not to try to draw the dots between the ciphers, in that order of ideas].

I figured out doing thus, that would be analogical to the 'clean_shaved chin', neat and rectangular, of the sheep showing the shape of the blue Finder's icon in the left side ( :mrgreen: )... Perhaps of a blue reminiscent of that Finder's figure, too. My suggestion of the day. Being very awkward with image editors, I leave that draft to better than myself (= sbradshaw lol) to perform something artistic from that ugly sketch.

With the possibility of varying colors, like this :

or this :

according to the difference of OSes.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Sorry if I'm a party pooper, but some of the "icons" being promoted here are among the worst electronic "art" I've ever seen. By all means, feel free to attach whatever monstrosity you deem fit to the SheepShaver package, but I'll continue to replace the SheepShaver icon with the "9 smiley face" shared by adespoton in his message above. That's what I've done ever since I found SheepShaver and I can't see a reason why that should change.
fuchsdh
Space Cadet

Post by fuchsdh »

PeterHolbrook wrote:Sorry if I'm a party pooper, but some of the "icons" being promoted here are among the worst electronic "art" I've ever seen. By all means, feel free to attach whatever monstrosity you deem fit to the SheepShaver package, but I'll continue to replace the SheepShaver icon with the "9 smiley face" shared by adespoton in his message above. That's what I've done ever since I found SheepShaver and I can't see a reason why that should change.
Well, luckily no one's forcing anyone to use icons they consider ugly. Customization has always been the name of the game for me, ever since System 7 where you could paint your own in the Finder :)

I've been toying with some concepts for my own icons, probably just going to make a variant for each OS.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

fuchsdh wrote:I've been toying with some concepts for my own icons, probably just going to make a variant for each OS.
That does look like an icon worthy of the name. Congratulations on your achievement. Very nice.
Liberty Courier
Student Driver

Post by Liberty Courier »

Some nice designs. I could probably polish up that sheep design.

Here is my design from several months ago.

https://sites.google.com/site/macshacks ... erIcon.zip
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hmm... just had another concept idea... should there be an apple shaved out of the side of the sheep (PPC is a good idea too)?