Networking SheepShaver on Ubuntu

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

CPercy6
Space Cadet

Networking SheepShaver on Ubuntu

Post by CPercy6 »

Hello,

First off, I've used SheepShaver occasionally on Mac OSX and Windows for quite a while now (5-6 years). I appreciate the support and enthusiasm that I often find when searching for solutions to my issues (Google often points here).

This past week, I have been trying to get SheepShaver to work on Ubuntu on my new Acer C720 Chromebook. I am using Crouton. I have tried the builds found on the Linux forum post. I am fairly new to Linux, so sorry if anything is unclear!

My issue is getting internet in SheepShaver. I want to be able to use my established wifi connection. For some reason slirp is not available on the dropdown menu. I'm also unsure how to compile the sheep_net.ko module.

I make the links from SS to Basilisk, and go to the Linux/NetDriver source. When I go to "make" that, it tells me that the /builds directory in my kernel version (3.8.11) does not exist.

I have recently tried compiling SheepShaver from source, but without the GUI, I'm not too sure what I'm doing (how to configure settings, etc). I'm also not sure if this would help me solve my problem!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: Networking SheepShaver on Ubuntu

Post by ClockWise »

Did you check the guide for information about how to compile the driver:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ubuntu
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I have no experience with chrome books and crouton. As it seems, crouton provides access to the linux underpinnings of chrome. You would need to find a way to download the linux kernel sources chrome uses to compile the driver. Is there a "store" or repository you can access from chrome or crouton to find the sources? If so, I still wouldn't know if the chrome architecture allows installing the driver whence compiled.

Edit: I read you have Ubuntu installed. Does this mean you have two OS's on your chrome book? If you boot into Ubuntu, can you not use the apt-get tool or synaptic package manager to install the kernel sources?

Best,
Cat_7
CPercy6
Space Cadet

Post by CPercy6 »

Hello, thanks for the responses.

I have tried compiling the driver as described in the tutorial. I get this error:

Code: Select all

make
make -C /lib/modules/3.8.11/build M=$PWD modules
make: *** /lib/modules/3.8.11/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [sheep_net.ko] Error 2
/lib/modules/3.8.11 exists, but there is no directory named build in that.
Edit: I read you have Ubuntu installed. Does this mean you have two OS's on your chrome book? If you boot into Ubuntu, can you not use the apt-get tool or synaptic package manager to install the kernel sources?
I have Synaptic Package Manager installed. However, it seems I have the kernel source? in /lib/modules/3.8.11/kernel ... I'm not too sure. It contains directories for "arch, crypto, drivers, fs, kernel, lib, net, sound".

I'm not too sure what to do!

Thanks
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Your kernel source should be in: /usr/src/"linux-headers-YOURKERNELVERSION-generic/kernel.
If not, you should install them with synaptic (search for linux headers), or apt-get like this:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-YOURKERNELVERSION-generic

Replace YOURKERNELVERSION with the kernelversion you use. You can check the kernel version from the command line with: uname -r

Please note I currently have no access to a linux machine to check my "advice"

Best,
Cat_7