Cant Boot Mac OS 8.6 CD

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Diffused Mind
Student Driver

Cant Boot Mac OS 8.6 CD

Post by Diffused Mind »

I just compiled and installed SheepShaver, and I downloaded a Mac OS 8.6 CD image from BitTorrent(yeah yeah, dont bitch), and when I set it as a disk in SheepShaver, it takes 10 minutes to boot, but says it only functions on the original media. I tried mounting it loopback, and setting the boot device in SheepShaver to CD-ROM, but it just couldnt even find a boot device at all and flashed the ? at me. Do I have to burn this to CD, and if so, how?
Diffused Mind
Student Driver

Post by Diffused Mind »

Nevermind, I just burned it with cdrecord and it worked fine. Good job on SheepShaver. :)
Thyth

Post by Thyth »

Pirates must die.

Post by Guest »

Go and copy some more runes or something.
Diffused Mind
Student Driver

Post by Diffused Mind »

Diffused Mind wrote:(yeah yeah, dont bitch)
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

I'm all for killing pirates. Pirates suck, and are the bane of the Internet. If it weren't for scum like them, all this RIAA BS wouldn't be happening. Same with the stupidity of the Americans in trying to legislate it.
Diffused Mind
Student Driver

Post by Diffused Mind »

So even though i've bought Mac OS 9(in the day), and it even came with my iBook, I still have to pay for OS 8.6? No.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Can you just burn it to CD with NERO or sumpthin'?
Diffused Mind
Student Driver

Post by Diffused Mind »

You probably can, but i'm on Linux so I used cdrecord.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Did you burn it? Did it boot?
Diffused Mind
Student Driver

Post by Diffused Mind »

Yea I burned it and it booted fine. :)
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Oh, fuck, I missed the post where you said that. I am so dumb.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

:?: :idea: :!: :arrow:
mike

Post by mike »

Diffused Mind wrote:So even though i've bought Mac OS 9(in the day), and it even came with my iBook, I still have to pay for OS 8.6? No.
actually yes. if you own say an old vinyl of some song, and think it sounds like crap, you cant just download the mp3. that is iligal. you own mac os9 on THAT disc for THAT ibook. you are a pirate! pirates should die!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I own the first Bangles LP. It sounds flawless.

Post by Guest »

phirkel wrote:I'm all for killing pirates. Pirates suck, and are the bane of the Internet. If it weren't for scum like them, all this RIAA BS wouldn't be happening. Same with the stupidity of the Americans in trying to legislate it.
Well, if you're running MacOS on non-apple hardware, you're not exactly following Apples EULA anyway. Is it now up to you to decide what portions of a license agreement you follow and what you don't?

This high-road so many of you seem to take is just silly.

Post by Guest »

mike wrote:if you own say an old vinyl of some song, and think it sounds like crap, you cant just download the mp3. that is iligal.
Actually, I don't know if that's been tested in court or not, and I couldn't find anything specifically stating that you couldn't do that, at least in the US. Do you have a link to back this argument up?

It's also not an accurate analogy; MacOS 8.6 and MacOS 9, while containing much of the same code, are two different products, with one containing features not available in the other. Two tunes, as long as they come from the same master, could be argued as the same tune.

Post by Guest »

Diffused Mind wrote:So even though i've bought Mac OS 9(in the day), and it even came with my iBook, I still have to pay for OS 8.6? No.
You'd have to ask Apple. I know MS will allow you to "downgrade" your OS. If you own XP, for example, you can run 2000 in it's place.

If Apple did allow you to do this, you wouldn't be allowed to have OS 9 installed on your iBook and have OS 8.6 on another machine at the same time... But you can't legally run MacOS on non-Apple hardware anyway, so it's a moot point.