Ways SheepShaver's performance could be improved?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

uyjulian
Apple Corer

Ways SheepShaver's performance could be improved?

Post by uyjulian »

1. Add bindings for extensions to the host system
For example: OpenGL is already installed on the host system, create bindings to the host system and let the host system do the OpenGL functions. Why emulate OpenGL or other function when you already have it on the host system?
2. Cocca version/Get rid of that slow library (SDL)
This will ensure that SheepShaver is not bogged down by the library.

Other suggestions? I might work on some of these myself (I know partially Objective-C and C)
Myrd
Granny Smith

Re: Ways SheepShaver's performance could be improved?

Post by Myrd »

Native bindings for OpenGL would be awesome. I suspect this would require writing an OS9 extension that would be loaded into the guest OS, though and having it relay things to SheepShaver - sounds quite tricky, but possible.

As for getting rid of SDL, I don't think this will help things much, if you're trying to make things faster. It may have other advantages (i.e. better support for things like multi monitors, transitioning between fullscreen / spaces, extra native UI, etc.), but I doubt SDL is causing any performance issues.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

Is laggy cursor a good one for the SDL problem?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

As far as injection method... no need to create an OS 9 extension. Just inject a few hooks into the ROM handling routine so that the instructions hit the hooks before being passed to the OS -- I believe Mini vMac already does this kind of thing for a few operations.
Bon_Glung
Student Driver

Post by Bon_Glung »

If you could figure out how to get CORE MIDI and CORE Audio working with OMS it would be handy.
iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2009, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM. OS X 10.12.6
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

adespoton wrote:As far as injection method... no need to create an OS 9 extension. Just inject a few hooks into the ROM handling routine so that the instructions hit the hooks before being passed to the OS -- I believe Mini vMac already does this kind of thing for a few operations.
Yeah, Mini vMac does that.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

I have another idea:
Code commonly-used Toolbox functions in native code