Good free backup utility for Mac SheepShaver disks

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jrethorst
Tinkerer

Good free backup utility for Mac SheepShaver disks

Post by jrethorst »

Free Backup was in its day one of the best-regarded backup programs for the Mac (OS 7.5-9.2). Over 50,000 downloads each at both Version Tracker and download.com. Large number of features. Rock-solid and fast.

It may find new life letting you back up files on your SheepShaver disk, either to another folder on that disk or to your Unix volume, such as your Documents folder on OSX.

Completely free, at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bzsgucf231rd ... 1.sit?dl=0

Thank you,
John Rethorst

Unsolicited comments from users:

“Wow! Very slick . . . quite nice! It has a lot of safeguards in it, all of which are very good, and much more functionality than I normally need . . . Top Download [Version Tracker] . . . Popular Download [Download.com] . . . Thumbs Up rating [Download.com] . . . Popular [ZDnet.com] . . . I tested all sorts of backup software, including commercial ones, and I think Free Backup is the best, because it is simple and effective. I specially like the testing after the copying . . . fast, I must say! . . . Thank you very much for your nice work! . . . Free Backup has the best function- ality and features of all similar apps I know of, and the nicest looking and easiest reading doc . . . I love the features . . . it’s truly a great little utility . . . Easy to use! . . . awesome! . . . Many thanks once again and may your generosity of spirit be amply rewarded . . . great scripts . . . works well . . . fine suite of backup programs . . . excellent example of scripting technique [MacScripter] . . . THANKS!!! What a great piece of software! Thanks mucho gracias! . . . it’s GREAT . . . 5-STAR . . . Finding myself in need of a reliable backup utility for the Mac, I tested a lot and found Free Backup to be very good, and considering the fact that it's free, the best . . . this is great software . . . a winner . . . Good tool, well explained . . . works great . . . very nice program and the documentation is good . . . excellent and easy-to-use . . . this is a great program . . . I love it . . . a great product! . . . A great utility! Keep up the good work! . . . FANTASTIC! Can’t live without it! . . . very handy . . . high quality . . . very well-behaved and, better, useful . . . It’s great. It’s worked flawlessly for me . . . I love the utility . . . a great script . . . your documentation is by far above any Shareware/Freeware app (on any platform) I’ve seen . . . Kudos! . . . I am impressed! . . . The GUI is great . . . elegant interface . . . I think Free Backup is an excellent program . . . Great work! . . . Splendid . . . awesome program . . . That is quite a program . . . thanks for a wonderful program . . . just what I am looking for! . . . commercial quality! . . . I love the new interface . . . a great product! . . . very useful . . . 1st rate program . . . terrific documentation . . . excellent . . . I am increasingly impressed by how useful it is . . . am very pleased with it . . . thank you for this little jewel . . . wonderful . . . Your program is a life-saver. I tried many backup programs. My first priority was freeware, since our budget is very tight (plus I’ve found that many freeware programs are better than some of the expensive programs). Free Backup is very simple, straight forward, and powerful”.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: revised download link
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Re: Good free backup utility for Mac SheepShaver disks

Post by jrethorst »

This is terrifically fast on a new machine with Yosemite. I like to keep most of my working files on the SheepShaver volume -- they're there when I need them sort of thing -- but like to back them up to OSX. I've never had a SheepShaver volume crash, but am not sure how I'd rescue files if it did.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

As usual, thanks for the software, John!

On the other side though, I can't really see the utility here. I use sparse images for my disks, and the slices are backed up dynamically into TimeMachine. I can roll back my entire disk to any time in the past and pull off the files I want, complete with context.

I suppose if you're managing a lot of discrete documents within a classic OS environment (instead of using the shared folder), this could be useful for actual document management though....
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

Exactly. Time Machine is terrific but, as you say, at any point you have an entire volume to work with. I tend to write a few documents at a time and like to have backups of those on hand.
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

Dropbox has changed its filesharing structure, and I need to revise the download link to this. It's now at https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bzsgucf231rd ... 1.sit?dl=0

John R.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised the download link accordingly in the first post
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

Does it do incremental backups or just a complete new dump each time?
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

TiddK wrote:Does it do incremental backups or just a complete new dump each time?
It will do full backups or different kinds of incremental: it will compare files' modification dates with archive dates: if the modification date is later the file is backed up. A different setting compares origin files' modification dates with the modification date of the backup file, if any: if the dates are different a backup is made. The program will back up in Finder format -- exact copies -- or in Stuffit format, saving space and the entire backup is one file for ease of handling. Stuffit backups can be encrypted with a password. The program will simply back up where you tell it to, overwriting previous backups, or you can set it to make a new folder for each backup, including the date in that folder's name, so every earlier backup is retained.

Whichever option you choose, the program will verify its backups either by comparing checksums or a byte-by-byte comparison of original and backup files.

Details, from the program manual:

* Scope

Full: backs up all files and folders in the backup list, irrespective of modification or archive dates of the files, or existing files in the destination. This is the fastest method on a per-file basis, and the simplest where the backup is a straight file copy. In Finder format, existing earlier versions of files are overwritten if they are in the correct destination path, respecting the hierarchy and dated folder options you’ve set (see the sections on these options below. For example, no files will be overwritten if the Make Dated Folder option is enabled).

Update: backs up files that have been modified since the last time they were backed up. Does not look for files in the destination. This is the fastest method overall, and recommended for general use in a local environment. In Finder format, overwrites earlier versions of files in the same destination paths, respecting hierarchy options, unless Make Dated Folder is enabled.

Differential: backs up files that have been modified since the last Full Scope backup. As fast as Update on a per-file basis, but could copy more files, since it backs up every file that has been modified since the last full backup. In Finder format, overwrites earlier versions of files in the same destination paths, respecting hierarchy options, unless Make Dated Folder is enabled. This and Update are the recommended scopes for data that is archived off-site.

Incremental: looks in the destination (respecting hierarchy options) for files corresponding to those in the backup list. Backs up every file whose modification date in the origin is later than the modification date of the corresponding file in the destination, if one is found. If no destination file is found, Incremental backs up the origin file. In Finder format, backups overwrite earlier versions of files of the same name in the same destination path, unless Make Dated Folder is enabled. Not available in Stuffit format, since modification dates of files in the destination archive cannot be checked.

* Discussion of scope options

Every Mac file has three dates: creation, modification and archive. While the first two are set by the OS and are visible in the Finder’s Get Info, the archive date is set by backup programs. Free Backup’s scope options work by comparing different pairs of these dates:

Full backs up every file in the backup list, and then sets the archive date of each origin file to the current date. Existence of and modification dates of files in the destination are not considered. Existing backup files are overwritten if they are in the same location in the destination, respecting hierarchy options, unless Make Dated Folder is enabled.

Update compares the modification date of an origin file with its archive date. If the modification date is later, the file is backed up. Archive dates of all origin files that were backed up are then set to the current date. Existence of and modification date of any file in the destination are not considered.

Differential makes the same comparison and decision as Update, but does not revise the archive date of origin files. Thus once a Full backup has been made, and an origin file is subsequently changed, it will be included in all future Differential backups, until another Full backup is made.

To understand Differential Scope, consider this example. You manage a remote office of a large company. You have an employee handbook consisting of a loose-leaf binder with numbered pages. Periodically, headquarters sends you partial revisions of outdated material in the handbook, to replace per page numbers. To build a current copy of the handbook for a new employee, you’d find it most convenient to take a new copy of the original binder and replace all the outdated original material with a single set of pages representing all revisions since the binder was first issued, i.e. a Differential backup. For your own use, though, it would be more convenient to keep your copy up to date by adding only newly changed pages as they arrive, i.e. an Update backup.

Incremental compares the modification date of the origin file with the modification date of a file, if any, in the backup destination, respecting hierarchy options. If the origin file has a later modification date than the destination file, a backup is made, overwriting the existing destina- tion file if any. Incremental Scope does not check or set the archive date. Incremental has much the same effect as Update for local backups but is slightly slower, since FB checks the destination twice for each file: first to get the backup’s modification date to see if the original should be backed up, and a second time to verify the backed up file. Note that if you change the hierarchy options, Incremental will not see destination files as placed in the old hierarchy, and will back up these files again. Thereafter, it will only back up modified files. Full, Update and Differential operate without regard to destination hierarchy. Incremental Scope is disabled if Make Dated Folder is checked in Preferences, since that option causes the destination path to change with each backup.

* Verification

In Finder format, FB offers two verification options. You can use either, both or neither.

Checksum verification sums the number of bytes in each file as it is selected for backup. After each file is backed up, the number of bytes of destination files are summed and the two totals are compared. Equivalence is a precise indicator that the entire backup was successful. If the two totals do not match, an error dialog informs you. Checksums, equivalent or not, are given in the log entry for that backup, if the log is enabled in Options.

Extensive: makes a byte-by-byte comparison of the data in each origin and backup file. This check is highly exact and is thus slower, especially for large files, but enhances security of data in critical uses.

John R.
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

Wow, that's a full answer!

Second question - if any or all of the Scripting Additions are the same name as those from your other utilities, can they be ignored on the basis they only need to be in there once over?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

As long as you've got the latest version installed, you should be fine.
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

Correct -- only one copy of a scripting addition is needed, for any number of Applescripts that use it.

Latest versions (and the last versions released for OS 9):

Jon's Commands 2.1.2
Akua Sweets 1.4.3
Dialog Director 0.7
Find Document 2.7

Each of my programs has these versions of the additions it needs included in the distribution.

John R.
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

Thanks. :smile:
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

Another use for Free Backup -- as nice as Time Machine is, it backs up to an external physical disk. I make good use of that, but for folders of critical material I do backups onto the cloud, using in my case Sync.com. Like Dropbox but gives you 5gb of space free.

I made a symbolic link from my sync.com Backups folder to my user Documents folder, which is my Sheepshaver Unix folder. I use Free Backup to back up important files from the Sheepshaver volume to the sync Backups folder, going through the symlink. Works like a charm. I now have backups in the cloud of everything important from my Sheepshaver volume as well as OS X startup disk.

You can create symbolic links from the command line, or use Nick Zitzmann's great and free service SymbolicLinker, at https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10433/symboliclinker.

John R.