Suggestions for Better Boot Disk Image (Redundant Robot)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Gimmeslack12
Space Cadet

Suggestions for Better Boot Disk Image (Redundant Robot)

Post by Gimmeslack12 »

Hello, hello. I have noticed a little bump in traffic from Emaculation over on my site (www.redundantrobot.com) and came over for a look.

I've noticed some discussions regarding my boot disk image for OS 9 and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how this disk image could be improved. Wasn't sure if having a browser or other software may be of use.

I admit I don't tinker with SShaver or Basilisk too much these days but am always wanting to help out others.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Suggestions for Better Boot Disk Image (Redundant Robot)

Post by 24bit »

Nice to hear from you!
I want to take the opportunity to thank you very much for keeping up your site all the time and still helping us to get things rolling.
If storage space is not an issue, I think a plain 9.0.4 retail ISO and a 7.5.3 installer CD might be a nice addition.
Max1zzz has the Anthology on his server. As the emulators are up and running it should be easy enough to install a localized OS of individual choice.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

There are a few issues with the Redundant Robot Mac OS 9 boot image that are apparently difficult to overcome for inexperienced users.

- It contains only the System Folder, not a full OS9 installation. Essential software to get started, and that is normally part of the MacOS installation, is missing (like e.g., Stuffit Expander).
- The volume is to small for additional installations.

I can provide a 125MB ZIP archive that contains a bootable full fresh International English Mac OS 9.0.4 installation on a 2GB(!) disk image. If you are interested, I can prepare that archive for you.

(I can also do similar for a System 7.5.5 boot image)
Gimmeslack12
Space Cadet

Post by Gimmeslack12 »

Thanks for the insights guys. I easily get such updates available.

I really should go through my tutorial and update it to make it easier to follow, I say this all the time and one of these days I'll actually do it.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Though not related with SS at all, you might also add the MacII ROM to your collection.
We are not going to see a BII port for Android in the near future, maybe not at all ever.
Too few of us old Mac guys around, I presume.
However MiniVMacII is quite usable on mobile devices. The needed ROM is not terribly hard to find, but it will ease things a lot for beginners. The same is true for a bootable 7.X and maybe 6.0.8.
I am fine with a 40MB one for 6 and 200MB for 7.
We hardly had 200MB hdds with our MacII's, did we? :)