OS 8.5/8.6 Won't boot with extensions enabled

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ghw9132

OS 8.5/8.6 Won't boot with extensions enabled

Post by ghw9132 »

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered.

I have tried os 7.6.1, 8.5, and 8.6, and only 7.6.1 will boot with any extensions. For the 8.x OS's, i tried disabling all extensions in the EM, and also tried moving the extensions and control panel folders within their respective "disabled" folders. Mac OS boots, but when it goes to load the finder it crashes, and garbles the video so i cannot determine if any error messages are given at the time and must reset my system. Only 7.6.1 will boot properly. I have tried both RPM and compiling 2.2.8 and 2.2.10 releases as well as using different ROM images.
I have been trying to get this to work for weeks now.
I am currently running Mandrake 9.2
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thyth

Post by Thyth »

Definately an isolated error of some sort... I haven't had any problems running 8.6 with extensions on.
ghw9132

Post by ghw9132 »

Both Redhat 9.1 and Mandrake 9.2 both behave the same.

it will boot if I hold down the shift key to disable extensions, but will crash even if there are no extensions in the extensions or control panels folder. If I do boot with extensions, they all seem to load fine, then the system will crash as soon as it attempts to load the Finder i believe. This applies to booting from cd, or hard disk.
I don't have os 8.1 anymore to try, but 7.6.1 seems to work, though rather unstable.
ghw9132

vmware

Post by ghw9132 »

I now have SheepShaver running under MDK 9.2, through VMware, on WinXP pro.
Still don't know why it won't work on my "real" system, or under Connectix Virtual PC 5.1 w/ mandrake.
ali88

Post by ali88 »

yes...
SheepShaver on Mandrake 9.2 on Vmware is very faster than Sheepshaver in real pc running Suse Linux 9 8O
:?:
ghw9132

problem solved

Post by ghw9132 »

I am now able to run SheepShaver under linux on my base pc. It would apparently try to switch to full screen after it loaded the extentions, which would garble the video and force me to restart the system. After I unchecked all of the full screen video modes it works fine.