Sheepshaver on Redhat Linux 9.2

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mem12001
Student Driver

Sheepshaver on Redhat Linux 9.2

Post by mem12001 »

Well I got sheepshaver and i'm using Redhat Linux just because I wanted to try PPC emulation. I got it installed but the problem is sometimes it seems sluggish, it won't take mouse commands instantly I have to wait 3 seconds and then try again. Is there any performace tweaks I can apply?

Thanks.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I had quite a dreadful experience trying to run SheepShaver in Redhat. It crashed quite a bit, and also was sluggish. Using the same ROM and system software in SlackWare, SheepShaver runs very nice. Maybe it is the distribution?
sardaukar_siet
Space Cadet

Post by sardaukar_siet »

The RedHat distros feature heavily patched (in-house) kernels to get "cool" features from the development tree of the kernel, such as NPTL and smooth mouse scaling and ... you get the deal. The thing is, sometimes this breaks behaviour and/or programs totally, that's why you see a lot of RedHat-specific fixes. As far as I know, Slack uses the bare-bones "vanilla" kernel, hence the smoother experience. I think. :)
mem12001
Student Driver

Post by mem12001 »

Thanks, I guess i'll try Slackware.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I tried Slackware 9.2, but the full install did not install all the libraries on which Sheepshaver depended and KPackage threw up a whole host of dependency errors. Any idea how can install the libraries needed without reinstalling?