Add full-screen button to SheepShaver?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Add full-screen button to SheepShaver?

Post by emendelson »

Now that Yosemite has a new green full-screen button on the menu bar, is it possible to add one to SheepShaver (by editing a NIB file, I suppose)? Or is it impossible to change screen resolution once SheepShaver is launched?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Add full-screen button to SheepShaver?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I am sure it isn't that simple. Once SheepShaver is launched, the only place where the screen resolution can be changed is in the emulated machine. The Monitors control panel can be used to change the resolution (and with it the window size).

I suppose you are aware of the control-return full screen toggle feature in SheepShaver. It doesn't change the resolution either.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

That's what I was afraid of. My own SheepShaver project (for WordPerfect) has an option to set the window size to the screen size, then hide the dock and menubar, and push the window to the top of the screen.

This doesn't entirely work in Yosemite. Apparently, you can't push a window into the 21-pixel-tall band normally occupied by the menu bar - even if the menu bar isn't visible.

So I was hoping that a full-screen option might make it possible to get a full-screen high-resolution window, in the same way it did before, but apparently not. There seems to be no way to cover up that menu-bar region at the top of the screen.
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: I suppose you are aware of the control-return full screen toggle feature in SheepShaver. It doesn't change the resolution either.
That feature could use the Fullscreen API though, that the screen resolution of the guest os doesn't switch is a bummer but totally understandable.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

You can change the resolution in SheepShaver emulated machine after ctrl-return, or you have to restart Sheep Shaver? Native full screen _might_ be possible.
frida
Space Cadet

Post by frida »

Last week I became aware of the control-return full screen toggle feature in SheepShaver and found it quite useful. Yesterday it stopped working. I don't know if the following is the cause, but I had been trying to get Spotlight to start to re-index and sent some terminal commands such as "sudo mdutil -i on /".

I am running Mavericks. I have done a fresh install on top of the old one. I have also made a new user account. Still, the control-return full screen toggle feature does not work inside the new account. When using SheepShaver's preferences I can make Full Screen work, but I don't know how to get back to windowed mode.

Any help is appreciated.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You can get out of full screen in two ways:
-Download the stand-alone prefs editor from the SheepShaver for OSX post in this forum and use it to set windowed mode.
-Open a terminal, type "open .sheepshaver_prefs" and change the line "screen dga/xxx/xxx" to "screen win/xxx/xxx"

I don't know why the full screen toggle suddenly might have stopped working. Might it be the SheepShaver window doesn't have focus when you enter the key combination? You might have to click inside the window to get it to accept it.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
frida
Space Cadet

Post by frida »

Thank you Cat_7.

With for your help I am now managing to use full screen mode for doing work and know a work-around to get back to windowed mode when needed.

I am running OS904 on SheepShaver inside a self-contained sparse disk image containing all the pieces needed for operation. In a sparse disk image, SheepShaver is outside of, and isolated from, the host OS filesystem. If you experiment too much and it self-destructs, you can just get another copy from your backup. A sparse disk image is also easily portable (USB stick) and simple to back up across computers (only changes are copied).

The control-return full screen toggle problem is only present with SheepShaver on my iMac Mavericks partition, the one I use most of the time. The same self contained disk image works normally on a Yosemite partition on the same iMac and on my MacBook Pro.

The problem must be with the host Mavericks system. That's why I did an OS 10.9 install with all updates and made a new User account, but it didn't restore the the control-return full screen toggle.

I did download the stand-alone prefs editor from the SheepShaver for OSX from this forum but it addresses the invisible ".sheepshaver_prefs" file at the root of the user account. To change the prefs inside the SheepShaver.sheepvm I used TextWrangler and changed the line "screen dga/xxx/xxx" to "screen win/xxx/xxx".

Regards, frida