SheepShaver 2.3 MacOS8 Build (Mavericks)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jalopezsuarez
Space Cadet

SheepShaver 2.3 MacOS8 Build (Mavericks)

Post by jalopezsuarez »

Hello,

I'd like to share a compilation of SheepShaver 2.3 for Mavericks. This is a DMG image, you can copy SheepShaver folder to Applications folder and play with it.

Moderator Edit: dropbox link removed

Thanks!
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver 2.3 MacOS8 Build (Mavericks)

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I removed the link because it is this board's policy to not allow direct links to software that may not be freely distributed (like a MacOS system or ROM files).

I wondered:
- Why an old version (2.3)?
- And why for Mavericks? The regular SheepShaver builds run on OSX from Tiger through Yosemite.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

It's supposed to be a build that runs on/has better support for Mavericks, as it sounds like it currently doesn't support Sheepshaver or does not support it as well as it should. It sounds like it's a fixed up version of that. As for the old version, someone made Cockatrice III, based on an old version of BII. 2.3 was be the last version officially compiled (or rather, the latest version compiled by Gwenole), so he used that as his basis.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

SheepShaver runs fine in Mavericks. There is an issue in Yosemite where it will only run in 32-bit mode.

The version number (2.3) is hardly indicative for which state of the source code is used. Gwenole's May 2006 snapshot was indeed 2.3, but that number wasn't changed for many years over many changes in the source and many subsequent builds that were posted here. It was changed in the source code to 2.4 only last year.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

kataetheweirdo wrote:As for the old version, someone made Cockatrice III, based on an old version of BII. 2.3 was be the last version officially compiled (or rather, the latest version compiled by Gwenole), so he used that as his basis.
"Someone" seems to be our very own neozeed:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cockatrice/
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yes, and from the forum discussions (including neozeed's contributions) this code modification shouldn't have any impact on SS on OS X (especially Mavericks). Now if the new version actually implements full screen from the window zoom button, or some other Mavericks+ feature, I could see submitting a build; but this build just seems to have limited the hardware it'll run on without adding anything new, from what I can see.

It's great that he was able to build on Mavericks (usually 10.6 is needed), but building on 10.10 would be a much more interesting accomplishment for a base to move forwards from (as 10.10 may be as far as the 10.6 build can reach -- we'll only see in time).

Definitely good to keep the older code sitting somewhere for the day when OS X can no longer run the 10.6 build of SS 2.3/2.4.