Script Error: Handler not defined #fileName

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

worldofhair
Space Cadet

Script Error: Handler not defined #fileName

Post by worldofhair »

Hello! I am extremely new to sheepshaver and I'm having issues with a game I'm trying to play with it. I installed sheepshaver and set it up according to redundant robot/a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqgw4z_r2sE) and it seems to be running great. I'm able to open the game by adding the disk image as a volume in sheepshaver's preferences and it runs fine up until where you would create a save file. Several times I get hit with the error message:

Script error: Handler not defined

#fileName

and after that there's no way for me to proceed. I'm able to say Continue to the error message but it leaves me with the clock cursor and all I can do from there is go backwards and quit the game.

Am I missing anything? To me it seems like it just cannot find a place to put the actual save files, but I am just starting out with this stuff. The game I'm trying to play is here http://www.myabandonware.com/game/stay-tooned-3xw

thanks for reading! please help!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Script Error: Handler not defined #fileName

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The video instructions you followed, use the OS9 pre-installed MacOS system from Redundant Robot. It is not a full installation as described in our setup guide, it only contains the System Folder, and it has little room left for further installations or additional files.

If you can not get hold of an image that was created from a true retail MacOS install CD, you need to at least put the system folder onto a larger volume. You can simply copy it to a larger volume within SheepShaver:

- In the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences, create a larger volume, for instance 1 or 2 GB (1000 or 2000 MB) in size.
- Shut down SheepShaver and start it again.
- Allow the new volume to be initialized. In the dialog, choose an appropriate name for the volume and Mac OS Extended for the format.
- Copy the content of the OS9 volume to the larger volume
- When the copy is complete, check whether the System Folder on the new volume shows its System Folder icon. If it only shows a generic folder icon, open the folder so the Finder can "see" the "System" and "Finder" files inside. That way the folder will obtain its icon. (This is called "blessing" the System Folder.)
- In the volumes list in preferences, remove the original OS9 volume, so SheepShaver can start up from the copied system.
- Shut down SheepShaver and start it again.

If you then want to save a file, make sure you choose a location on the new larger volume.
worldofhair
Space Cadet

Post by worldofhair »

Thank you for your fast reply! I did as you instructed and moved the content from the original volume and moved it to the larger one (the original was already 1GB, the new one is 2GB). I'm still getting the same error code from the game. I'm opening the game from it's own icon on the desktop. Should it be moved elsewhere as well?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

worldofhair wrote:I'm opening the game from it's own icon on the desktop. Should it be moved elsewhere as well?
How did that icon get there? I thought you ran the game from the CD image. Did you install the game? How?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The issue is likely that you're missing some support libraries or system extensions that are required to run the game. You may need to do a full OS install to get them, or install the game using an installer instead of just copying it to disk.

[edit]

On re-reading the thread, it's possible that the game image is locked, and the game won't run from a locked image. In this case, copy/install the game so that it's on the new 2GB drive (toss it in the Applications folder if there is one, so it's easy to find). Just dragging to the desktop will keep it on the original disk image, so you'll need to do more than that.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You are experiencing a macromedia (the tool in which the game was made) script error. The game can't write to the cd image (which seems perfectly normal) to save its state. When you copy the tuned folder and the Power Mac Stay Tuned program to your mac hard disk you should have no problems saving/loading games.

Best,
Cat_7
Jcatmyself
Space Cadet

Post by Jcatmyself »

I am new here, but I am experiencing the same issue. I was able to correctly install one game with similar graphics, (this game)
( https://www.macintoshrepository.org/388 ... ego-deluxe ) , and it worked fine,

and then tried to install (this game) ( https://www.macintoshrepository.org/4003-geobee ) , and I encountered the same errors as above, so I followed above instructions to, create a new drive, that is larger in volume, (mine was also 1000 MB at first) then created one (2000 MB) with the extension .Mac OS Extended, completed each step to replace the 1000 MB Drive with the 2000 MB Drive, and copied everything over, and removed the other Drive from volumes list in Sheepshaver preferences, then copied the two games from the (System 7.5.3) Drive Folder to the (Mac OS 7.5.3) Hard Drive, and removed them from the system 7.5.3 Drive folder, and still the first one works fine and the other one has this error several times, The OS I have installed is 7.5.3 and it came from a complete disk image of the OS, I created the Hard Drive on SheepShaver preferences and then fully Installed the OS, not sure why this issue is happening for one game and not the other. Also, I have used this game on a computer running 7.5.3 and it is compatible. What could possibly be missing that would run it?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The instructions above to move everything to a larger disk image were for someone who used the small disk image from Redundant Robot that has a minimal MacOS9 installation and no room for additional installations. The issue in your case seems not related to the size of the disk image.

("Mac OS Extended" was advised for the image format, not the image file extension. Mac OS Extended format is not available in System 7.5.3 and a Mac OS Extended disk image would not have worked there.)
Jcatmyself
Space Cadet

Post by Jcatmyself »

Oh, Okay, Oh yeah, Haha! I'm not sure why my OS version I installed is incomplete in any way, because it was an all in one CD image .iso install, (Because I couldn't figure out how to get the 1-19.part files install to work) but I was reading about this issue other places and people seem to think it's a Quicktime issue, I think some of those games do use Quicktime, so I tried to install it, and got the error message, (Disk Copy will not run on this kind of Macintosh since certain required support is not provided.) I then looked into that issue and tried installing Shrinkwrap2.1 , DiskDup plus 27 , and even Disk Copy 6.0 , and it won't install it, so when I try to install Quicktime it still says (Disk Copy will not run on this kind of Macintosh since certain required support is not provided.)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. You mention SheepShaver preferences, so I assume that you use SheepShaver on a Mac host. Which OSX/macOS version?

2. You also did not mention which SheepShaver build you use. Which one (build date)?

3. Why do you think your 7.5.3 installation is incomplete? Which 7.5.3 installation disk image did you use, where did you get it?

4. Any reason why you specifically installed System 7.5.3 in SheepShaver?

5. Usually an adequate QuickTime version is installed with the System/MacOS and no QuickTime installation or upgrade is needed.

6. You did not tell how you installed the game in the first place. What did you do with the downloaded file.
Jcatmyself
Space Cadet

Post by Jcatmyself »

"1. You mention SheepShaver preferences, so I assume that you use SheepShaver on a Mac host. Which OSX/macOS version?

2. You also did not mention which SheepShaver build you use. Which one (build date)?

3. Why do you think your 7.5.3 installation is incomplete? Which 7.5.3 installation disk image did you use, where did you get it?

4. Any reason why you specifically installed System 7.5.3 in SheepShaver?

5. Usually an adequate QuickTime version is installed with the System/MacOS and no QuickTime installation or upgrade is needed.

6. You did not tell how you installed the game in the first place. What did you do with the downloaded file."

1. Yes M1 MacBook pro running Big Sur.

2. Most recent build of SheepShaver.

3. I thought it might be incomplete because it was an all in one .iso and not the 1-19 .part files folder that was harder to get installed, so I used the all in one .iso it came from winworld.com

4. because it's what I played these games on for the first time.

5. I didn't know what was included, and I don't know where anything is.

6. I dragged it from unix drive over to Mac OS 7.5.3 Hard drive and opened it from there the disk image appeared on the desktop and from there started it.
I then created an applications folder since there was none that I could find, and put all the game folders in there. The two other games I have installed work fine, but there was another game that I got all the way through the installation of and when starting it, it said ( "critical files not found" ) and that was an all in one file of the game, so I thought all in one installation files / .iso might sometimes be missing files since I don't know how it was copied and where it came from and such. But that games "Critical Files not found issue" was a totally different issue of course, it wouldn't run, the game I posted about will run but only the short movie clips of the game if you keep pressing continue through the error messages, and NONE of the interactive part of the game itself will run at all.

Not sure why at this point, I'm starting to wonder if someone on Mac repository uploaded a Windows game, but then again I actually tried installing and playing the same exact game from Macintosh Garden, and it did the exact same thing even on another .Sheepvm with a different OS file this time the 1-19 .part files that really is basically the same as an all in one .iso its just you have to keep the files together and install the first one, after that you can't even click the .part files to install separately or anything, it won't do that. So I don't know why this game has this problem honestly.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The preferred way to mount a disk image in SheepShaver is to add it to the volumes list in preferences. (Not copying through the Unix/shared folder.) You can then install from the mounted disk.

System 7.5.3 does not have an Applications folder, but you can create one if you wish.

QuickTime files are installed in System Folder:Extensions and in System Folder:Control Panels. You can check there which version is installed.

I tried GeoBee in SheepShaver with System 7.5.5.
I have to click through endless script errors moving from level to level and then from game to game without getting a chance to actually play the game.
Nothing wrong with my SheepShaver setup.

I tried the game in BasiliskII. Same issue.

Maybe the game needs an actual hardware Mac to run properly, or maybe the game needs additional software that is not on the disk image.