Extension Translation

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

roberlanmac
Space Cadet

Extension Translation

Post by roberlanmac »

Hi everybody, im a illustrator and graphic designer from Brazil. And i need help.

I first started using sheepshaver to emulate mac os 9 on my windows 7 computer. I liked a lot so i decided to buy a cheap old slot load iMac g3 to really feel it, as a old computer the cd rom drive only read and cannot burn discs but mac os runs very well, browse the internet and everything. Almost.

I also have a mac mini with yosemite. My problem is... everytime i download an application on both sheepshaver and the imac and try to run it i only see the generic white paper icon and the message "Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators" tried to download from the mac os 9.2.2, from mac os 9 inside sheepshaver and on the mac mini on yosemite and got this error everytime. I can unstuff the ZIP files using stuffit expander but the application installer itself only appears as the white paper with no icon and dont run. The files are two large files im downloading from Dropbox.

Tried rebuild the desktop and restarted to no avail.

Is there any way i can run these applications? What im doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Extension Translation

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If the zip archive is supposed to contain a classic Mac application and if you downloaded the archive inside MacOS9 in SheepShaver and inside the iMac running MacOS 9.2.2, and also expanded the archive using Stuffit Expander inside each of those environments, either the archive was created in a way (with a non-Mac zip program) that made the original files loose their resource forks and other Mac-specific properties, or the zip archive may have been created in an OSX specific format that cannot be expanded by anything available in MacOS. If the latter is the case, expanding the files in OSX with OSX's default Archive Utility will preserve the original files. If the files were archived with a non-Mac zip program, they have become useless.
roberlanmac
Space Cadet

Post by roberlanmac »

Thanks a lot.

I will try to unzip in yosemite and then copy the folder with a USB stick to the imac, hope this works
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

roberlanmac wrote: and then copy the folder with a USB stick to the imac
Make sure that you format the USB stick HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) first. They usually come FAT formatted and a classic Mac file will not survive intact when transferred from Yosemite to 9.2.2 on a FAT formatted volume.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:the zip archive may have been created in an OSX specific format that cannot be expanded by anything available in MacOS.
But that's what Miniunz is for.
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=1&t=8322
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Has someone put together an HFS formatted disk image with all the freely available useful tools on it? I'm thinking archive handlers, network tools, diagnostic tools (that work in emulators), etc. Could be a useful toolkit.