A Icon for SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Tobibrocki
Space Cadet

A Icon for SheepShaver

Post by Tobibrocki »

Hi everyone,

not sure if this is useful to anyone. I primarily made this for Yosemite, the regular SheepShaver Icon simply looked to pixelated and out of place when I put it next to the other Dock Icons. So I really wanted a Icon that fits nicely into the lot, but many web searches went by and I simply didn't find one that met my needs, so I figured, if I wanted one I probably had to do one myself. One evening later and it was finished. Now, I'm not a Icon Designer at all and this was primarily meant for personal use, but I thought that others might find it useful as well so I decided to share it, again, it was mainly for personal use so it's probably not the most well planned out Icon ever made.
But, I hope you guys like it and maybe have some use for it perhaps. :)

Download Link:
http://sta.sh/01pi9ugr2xp1
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Re: A Icon for SheepShaver

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

Thank you.

Very nice, and a great improvement, my friend. After all, this is 2015 and Yosemite, and not 1993 and Mac OS 7. :)

Now watch Old Schoolers grumble and groan and resist change. :mrgreen:

Oh wait! I *am* an Old Schooler too! :lol:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

We had an entire thread on designing a new icon on here... didn't come to an agreement, but I like yours -- even if it's an unshaved sheep instead of a sheep shaver :D

But then, I just use images of the OS CD I installed from for my icons now. That way there's no ambiguity as to what I'm launching.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

I wonder what sheep think of sheep shavers??? :mrgreen:
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

In the late spring, they're probably pretty thankful.

Of course, shaving usually happens around the same time as dipping IIRC, and I'm pretty sure no sheep likes The Dip.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

First shaving, and now dipping?

I am not a sheep herder, so I am not familiar with dipping; but I would assume that all of the shaving and dipping has the poor sheep flipping out! :smile:
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Shaving takes the winter wool off the sheep so that it is light on its feet for the summer. Dipping on the other hand involves submerging the sheep in a noxious substance to kill off any parasites. Videos on both are available on youtube :)
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

No, shaving the wool isn't to make them light on their feet, it is to make the sheep herder some money, sonny!!! :mrgreen:
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

Oh thank you so much! The original Icon is just plain ugly. Yours is really beautiful, I like it and hope it becomes the "official" SheepShaver Icon.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

I'll second that thought. But who would be responsible for making it official? Hmmm . . . :roll:
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

A new icon will only be "official" (insofar as anything about SheepShaver is official nowadays), if it is submitted to cebix/macemu and accepted.

The icon looks great in larger sizes, but not so great in the small sizes I use in the Finder and even smaller size I use in the Dock.
CharlesS
Granny Smith

Post by CharlesS »

Old-School-BBSer wrote:No, shaving the wool isn't to make them light on their feet, it is to make the sheep herder some money, sonny!!! :mrgreen:
Well... both, really. Domestic sheep don't shed their wool the way wild sheep would, so if you don't shear them, they end up looking like this:

I dunno, I'm not a sheep, but that can't be comfortable.
There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Hmmm . . . I wonder. Shearing sheep is a human thing. So it makes me wonder how wild sheep fare when there is no human intervention in their lives. I mean, do they just grin it and bear it. Does there come a point in time when they just naturally shed all of that excess weight and fleece?
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Domestic sheep don't shed their wool the way wild sheep would
The only sheep that have this problem are ones that have been bred to provide humans with wool -- the ones we shear :)
CharlesS
Granny Smith

Post by CharlesS »

adespoton wrote:
Domestic sheep don't shed their wool the way wild sheep would
The only sheep that have this problem are ones that have been bred to provide humans with wool -- the ones we shear :)
Yep, wild sheep shed their wool every so often to avoid looking like Shrek up there. Domesticated varieties don't need that particular feature, so they've presumably lost it over the centuries.
There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Tobibrocki wrote:I'm not a Icon Designer at all and this was primarily meant for personal use, but I thought that others might find it useful as well so I decided to share it, again, it was mainly for personal use so it's probably not the most well planned out Icon ever made.
But, I hope you guys like it and maybe have some use for it perhaps. :)
Very nice indeed. Thank you!