The Disappearing Mouse Cursor Woes

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

The Disappearing Mouse Cursor Woes

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

I vaguely recall us discussing this before, but let me ask again . . . and please forgive my spotty memory. :)

First, let me say that my SheepShaver setup with my Hermes II BBS and my Hotline server has been running great for just about a month now. It is actually quite snappy and responsive under Yosemite 10.10.2.

So thanks again to Cat_7, Ronald and others who patiently offered me assistance in getting things properly setup a month ago.

At this current time, the only annoying issue continues to be the constantly disappearing mouse cursor. Yes, I use a battery-operated Magic Mouse. If I recall correctly, someone else here mentioned previously that there is an issue with using a wireless mouse with SheepShaver, exactly as I have described here. I believe that the solution that was offered was to use a wired mouse instead. However, I no longer own any wired mouses.

So, is there any other solution to this annoying problem? It seems that the mouse cursor most often disappears when I pass it over the black area of the Hermes II terminal window, which is waiting for an incoming connection. Then I have to click around blindly on the SheepShaver desktop until the cursor reappears.

Thanks guys!
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: The Disappearing Mouse Cursor Woes

Post by adespoton »

Not really all that helpful, but I've had the exact same issue with a wired mouse, both in SheepShaver and in other graphics-intensive programs such as Photoshop CS4 under 10.7 and later. I think this is more a bug in the OS X graphics/pointer code than a problem with SheepShaver, although since it's only older software written prior to 10.7 that seems to have this issue (for me at least), it's probably some deprecated routine that SheepShaver is using that's at fault.

So getting a wired mouse isn't guaranteed to fix the problem; what we really need is for someone(s) to go through the source code and update as much as possible to use modern compiler features and on OS X, modern APIs. Unlikely to happen, but it'd be a great 2016 Google Summer of Code project ;)